If money was no object, what's your dream amp?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I was just curious if there was anything out there that owners thought was a good representation of the metal rhythm tones it can achieve. I’ve heard it can be hard to capture in recordings.

Realistically it’s probably something that’s just gonna stay on the GAS list forever, since I never see them used in the UK and I don’t think Fryette make them anymore.
Yeah they’re hard to come by anywhere at this point. Here’s a quick sound test I did for the Orange channel a few months ago:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/TD9eMRUdpARI/

And here’s another guys clip of the Red channel:

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Yeah they’re hard to come by anywhere at this point. Here’s a quick sound test I did for the Orange channel a few months ago:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/TD9eMRUdpARI/

And here’s another guys clip of the Red channel:

I remember finding reza’s clip a while back, and I thought that one was pretty good.

I really dig yours a lot though, I guess the feel is never gonna come though in a clip, but it does sound very articulate. It does remind me of my GPDI > 2/50/2, as it is pretty articulate, though not quite aggressive as that without a boost.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
The YT vid sounds incredibly articulate and beefy in the lows, but tight as a nun's unsoiled cunt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
There's a 100/CL with graphic EQ up for sale local. How does the CL compare to the UL?

He switched it to KT77 tubes. It even has the old VHT nameplate. No idea where he would have gotten it because we never had a dealer here

I haven't tried a 100/CL, but the red channel on the 50 gets close to the red channel of the UL. They aren't the exact same preamp circuit, but you can tell they come from the same close-knit family. The power section is a big part of the UL sound, though.

Both amps sound killer through the matching Fatbottom cabs with the P50E speakers, but it's not the end of the world if you can't find one. They're really tuned to work with the VHT amps and don't sound as good paired with most other amps IMO.

I think it would be worth checking out that amp locally. KT77's are a nice EL34 variant with a bit more bottom end and are normally more durable than 34's if I remember correctly.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
There's a 100/CL with graphic EQ up for sale local. How does the CL compare to the UL?

He switched it to KT77 tubes. It even has the old VHT nameplate. No idea where he would have gotten it because we never had a dealer here

The CL only has 2 channels... no true dedicated clean... a better comparison would be the CLX. The UL and CLX have similar preamps, but EL34s in the CLX ppower amp and KT88s in the UL... both are 4 preamp gain stages, but the UL has dual phase inverters hence and extra preamp tube. The UL sounds tighter, dryer, less forgiving. I liked the UL a bit more... but always eventually tire of the dry, unsaturated sound. Very different sounding amp than most other high gainers.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Is there something special about the built-in GEQ, or could an EQ in the loop do the same thing?

The built in eq sounds better/different than just adding an external eq in the loop. It’s due to the placement of it in the circuit path. The amps without graphic eq built in sell for considerably less too.

I think a lot of the fascination with the UL and Fryette amps in general is due to the lack of availability... not the sound itself per se.

protest

Reaction score
but always eventually tire of the dry, unsaturated sound. Very different sounding amp than most other high gainers.

Every time I buy another VHT I say why do I have any other amps? What's the point? This is all I need!

6 months later it's for sale. After awhile that awesome unique dryness just turns into something you fight. For me anyway.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Based on Kemper profiles and advice from people I trust, some kind of Cameron modded Marshall.

I don't even LIKE Marshalls, but I'm convinced I could have one of those and keep it for a long ass time.

When I had my AX8, literally the only 2 amps I used were the Mark IV Lead and the Cameron Atomica. The Atomica model with the right cab NAILED the old Dino Cazares tone.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
aw yeah there ya go. I never would have guessed Fortin would hit blackmachine territory so quickly.

the ultimate cost no object rig right there - so much money for so little
The ultimate, and yet I'd rather have a stock, unmodded 2203 and a tube screamer. Or a Rev F Recto. Or a Bogner Twin Jet. Having old man taste has its advantages!

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
The ultimate, and yet I'd rather have a stock, unmodded 2203 and a tube screamer. Or a Rev F Recto. Or a Bogner Twin Jet. Having old man taste has its advantages!
SD-1*

But yes, all the YES in the world. JCM800 2203 with Greenback loaded 412. Yum!

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Oh, and a guitar from Warren and George.

K35273000002000-00-500x500.jpg

xlarge.png

These please. Thanks.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
The built in eq sounds better/different than just adding an external eq in the loop. It’s due to the placement of it in the circuit path. The amps without graphic eq built in sell for considerably less too.

I think a lot of the fascination with the UL and Fryette amps in general is due to the lack of availability... not the sound itself per se.

what happened to fryette. they were making a ton of amps like maybe 5 or so years ago. now there really are almost no ultra leads for sale. I used to see them all the time.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I think they downsized a lot after the sale of the VHT name, and then they changed course completely on what made them big. You can still get ULs and CLXs, but only custom order I think. They've been more focused on aether, gpdi, powerstation, as well as the LX2 and Sound City lines that presumably are coming out at some point. A lot of product lines that basically haven't gotten any solid traction in the marketplace.