If money was no object, what's your dream amp?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I mean if money is no object, James Hetfield's rig from Live Shit, a Marshall Plexi and JCM 800 and a Peavey Deuce. Might as well cover all my bases.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
Hard to say if we are just talking 1 amp. Currently I would love to have something like a Fortin Meshuggah or Cali. Actually if it were possible I would love to have a Fortin made NATAS or Satan and not the Randall version. However some other amps I would really love to collect.

1. Friedman HBE
2. Fryette Pitbull 100CLX
3. ENGL Savage II
4. REVV Gen 100P
5. Mesa Boogie Triple Rect. 2 channel

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Hermansson’s stuff always sounds tight as hell, I’d love to see what it’s like in real life. I wonder if the modded rectos still retain any of the Recto feel when they’re that tight.

jco5055

Reaction score
Sounds sorta like a starved fuzz but without the fuzziness.

Yeah I think that's what's drawing me to it, I'm not a fuzz guy at all which seems to be more of a Marshall thing. He did tell me (as I was just curious about his stuff since his site is down) that Mesa in particular is only $1990 including shipping to America which seems like possibly a steal if anyone was interested.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Yeah I think that's what's drawing me to it, I'm not a fuzz guy at all which seems to be more of a Marshall thing. He did tell me (as I was just curious about his stuff since his site is down) that Mesa in particular is only $1990 including shipping to America which seems like possibly a steal if anyone was interested.
Marshall amps aren't fuzzy though?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I know it's rebuilt from scratch, but I love how he turned an old tube PA amp into a fire-breathing monster. :lol:

Would love to try a Hermansson. Probably the cheapest :)lol:) alternative to a Larry.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know it's rebuilt from scratch, but I love how he turned an old tube PA amp into a fire-breathing monster. :lol:

Would love to try a Hermansson. Probably the cheapest :)lol:) alternative to a Larry.

His PA builds are incredible. He's supposed to be working on a from-scratch "production" amp design but seems updates on it are few and far between.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
I just don't get the obsession with everyone trying to get so tight that all that's left of the guitar is the pick attack. This one was so bad that I thought I was hearing the "clank" of the strings before I realized that it was just an amp gone crazy.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Sounds MUCH better to me here than the stock amp. Midrange is more aggressive and cutting, less fizzy, and the low end doesn't sound like a tub of lard.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
I didn't really care for either of them on channel 2; pre-mod was flabby as hell, post-mod sounded like a bad attempt at being a boosted Marshall.

Channel 3 pre-mod is great; post-mod has not body at all, just a bunch of attack. If that's the sound you want, why are you even buying a Recto -- an amp known for its body and THICCness -- at all? Might as well just get a Nitrox and be done with it at that point.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I sort of like the stock one better. I'm getting some sort of disconnect seeing a Recto and hearing what I otherwise think of as like... I don't know, a Randall Thrasher or something. His mod doesn't improve the recto sound -- it changes it into an entirely different amp (that I'm sure is a step in the right direction to some people). I'd prefer to just tighten the original recto sound a tiny bit though.