If money was no object, what's your dream amp?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
...Am I the only person who heard that demo and thought "wow, this doesn't sound nearly as good as a stock Recto"?

Depends on which Recto, but yea I'd rather have a 2 channel and boost than that sound. Have to remember too that the sound in the video isn't necessarily what the amp actually sounds like.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
The more I think about it, I feel like if money was no object, I'd be spending it moreso on recording gear and instruments than on amps. I'd love to an army of mics and preamps and good sounding rooms and things like that.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Depends on which Recto, but yea I'd rather have a 2 channel and boost than that sound. Have to remember too that the sound in the video isn't necessarily what the amp actually sounds like.

Yeah, he was using a camera mic at what sounds like low volume. Rectos like to be cranked at a decent volume. Also sounds like he has the gain too low so there's no saturation. He has a couple more demos that sound much better with more saturation and volume.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got to be honest if I was going for a Hermansson his Recto rebuild is not what I would go for. IMHO his Marshall mods and PA rebuilds sound MUCH better :2c:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Got to be honest if I was going for a Hermansson his Recto rebuild is not what I would go for. IMHO his Marshall mods and PA rebuilds sound MUCH better :2c:

The way he describes the modded Recto is that he tweaked the circuitry a bit. While the Marshall and PA mods are complete rebuilds. I wonder if that has anything to do. With it

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
I think I would go for a Friedman Butterslax, maybe with a twin Reverb for clean cleans, or JP-2C or the TC-100, also always had pretty bad Uberschall gas, I'd definitely do a shootout with all of those see which ones I like the most.

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score
Custom Friedman BE 50 Deluxe in white tolex with a matching 4x12 cab.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Fortin Meshuggah. I'm in love with that thing.

Reactions: LCW

LCW

Reaction score
Fortin Meshuggah, Diezel VH4 or Wizard MC2

dhgrind

Reaction score
Damn some nice picks so far, I even had to look up DAR and it's a shame they went under.

Another thing I've noticed (slightly unrelated to this topic) that I was reminded of seeing the few KSR choices, I swear that when I was looking up various amps when I was searching for a new one that KSR/Rhodes was all the rage from like 2011-2014 or so with even posts on SS.org like "they're expensive but that's because you're getting literally the best high gain amp around" etc, but from like 2016-present it seems like all KSR related posts are people selling theirs. Did some new amp company/model come around that was just "KSR but better"? Or maybe everyone went the Kemper/AxeFx route and sold their $3k+amps because the modeling route is cheaper?

For the price point I can get by on a 5150 just fine. The ares is a fine amp but I’m currently a full time student so cuts were made.

Once I’m rolling in dough again probably gonna cop a Gemini, a butterslax, and an insanely heavily modded 5150, and a couple orange heads...

jco5055

Reaction score
For the price point I can get by on a 5150 just fine. The ares is a fine amp but I’m currently a full time student so cuts were made.

Once I’m rolling in dough again probably gonna cop a Gemini, a butterslax, and an insanely heavily modded 5150, and a couple orange heads...

are there any common 5150 mods? I know all about the various Marshall mods out there but that's it.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
FJA and Voodoo both do 5150 mods.

Why anyone would mod an amp in 2019 is a better question. It may have made sense in 1980 when options were limited to Marshall, Marshall, Traynor, Laney, or Marshall, but nowadays there's thousands of builders all offering their slightly tweaked version of every circuit ever, so you might as well just get what you want stock.

dhgrind

Reaction score
FJA and Voodoo both do 5150 mods.

Why anyone would mod an amp in 2019 is a better question. It may have made sense in 1980 when options were limited to Marshall, Marshall, Traynor, Laney, or Marshall, but nowadays there's thousands of builders all offering their slightly tweaked version of every circuit ever, so you might as well just get what you want stock.

Well I’m an engineering major so I’d probably just do it myself for Shits n giggles.

LeftOurEyes

Reaction score
Why anyone would mod an amp in 2019 is a better question.

Just because there are a lot of options is no reason to not mod and make more options. Price may also be a factor. Modding a cheaper amp to get closer to the sound you want rather than buying an expensive amp could make sense for a lot of people. I wouldn't want to play shows with an expensive amp personally unless I was doing it on a professional level.