If Not a Musician, What Else Would You Have Become

• Thread starter AngelVivaldi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
The music industry is an incredibly risky thing to put all your effort into as we all know. Of course we're all aware of the infamous "Plan B" of attack on life when things seem to not work out... i.e. Music Careers.

What do you think you would rather have done with your life minus music? Yeah most of us have day jobs w/music as our first priority, but what would be your first priority for a career if any?

I would have been the fiercest choreographer in Kansas I tell ya....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

8Fingers

Banned
Reaction score
I always worked as a guitarist and a recording engineer,besides those I'm a scubadiving and skydiving instructor.Both divings were always for fun.

I wish I was a pimp :sharpie:

snuif09

Reaction score
i play guitar but is suck to much to call myself a "musician" well on this board then

but my plan was to become a game designer if things dont work out wich probably is going to happen cause im going to get surgery on my left hand for the second time

Reaction score
I d prolly have gone to jail for doing graffiti because if I wasnt making music I d spend all my time on graff. Luckily I picked up the guitar.
But a job... something social, I guess. Prolly I d be trying to teach stupid teens not to stab each other, because it is not niceto do so, m'kay....

Luuk

Reaction score
I earn my money as a snowboard instructor, and I'm planning to do a music management studie. So I can also get to know the 'otherside' of music.

8Fingers

Banned
Reaction score
I earn my money as a snowboard instructor, and I'm planning to do a music management studie. So I can also get to know the 'otherside' of music.

Hey LUUK you could be a Skywalker !

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Music has never been anything more than a bit of a lols for me, I just do it for fun. I know a number of people who have taken degrees in music and it hasn't worked out great for them. A couple of music performance degree students ended up just teaching guitar here and there, doing a bit of session work, another guy I know completed a degree in studio engineering and production, and he is still working in a bar 7 years after graduating. It would have been cool to learn all the stuff you would on a music degree, but at the same time I didn't want to graduate into a limited field. I watched a program a while ago (Location, Location, Location on channel 4 I think) where a guy was trying to make it as a composer, and some guy from the PRS consulted him and warned him that he was unlikely to make it, as only 1% of the registered composers (and I believe you have to be registered with the PRS in the UK if you want your compositions to be heard) were earning over £5000 a year.

I just didn't fancy scraping a living like that, if no one else I knew graduating from these courses was making anything out of it, then it would have been stupid to risk it if the oppertunities just were not there. I never even considered music at uni tbh, there are better fields of work to be in as far as I'm concerned.

B36arin

Reaction score
I'm currently in my second year of university as a sound engineer, I'm probably going to take a master's degree when my engineering degree is finished to have something really good to fall back on. I'm not working with music full time. I have a really cool band project that I'm working on now, when we release the album we might go for some touring, but i's mostly just for fun. If I wouldn't have studied sound engineering I'd probably become a physician.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I'm a PR Manager so it seems like the plan B was my plan A to begin with. I've never intented to live with music because, especially in Brazil, I would have to be a sort of beggar to play metal and be able to live.

So I ended up as a more of a music enthusiast, I always play guitar when I have the chance, I live and breathe music but it just wouldn't be possible to live this way for me, especially here.

8Fingers

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a PR Manager so it seems like the plan B was my plan A to begin with. I've never intented to live with music because, especially in Brazil, I would have to be a sort of beggar to play metal and be able to live.

So I ended up as a more of a music enthusiast, I always play guitar when I have the chance, I live and breathe music but it just wouldn't be possible to live this way for me, especially here.

Come'n bro I know you play in an emo band.Maybe NX0 bwahahahahaaha

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
When I was younger, I planned on becoming a politician (serving in the house/senate). I also have an interest in thought processes (sociology, psychology). However, if I was to stop playing guitar today, I dont think I could step away from music in general. Probably an AE. If I couldn't do something in that field, I would go for a small business degree (some 2 year degree).

Maestro

Reaction score
Life without music? I shudder just thinking about that.

I probably would end up doing web design or computer programing of some sort. Maybe a writer....I think I would wander lost for a while before I could figure out what to do with myself without music.

Bleak

Reaction score
I love to teach guitar, so if you took the music out of the equation, I'd be a teacher of some sort, I think.

')