If Not a Musician, What Else Would You Have Become

• Thread starter AngelVivaldi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Just a normal boring job that pays the bills, then gig on the weekend.

That's basically what I'm doing now.

When I was really young, before I had aspired to be a musician I had an inkling to be a cartoonist. Problem is I absolutely LOATHED every single art teacher I ever had, so that just went badly altogether.

I turn 30 on my next birthday, and I'm *still* trying to figure out what my 'back up plan' is. I'm trying to think of what I could possibly do *for a halfway decent living* that I could look back on after 20-40 years of 8 hour days and say "I'm proud to have done that."

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i make drugs at a pharmaceutical company, have 5 kids and a wife. i play guitar part time.

stevee

Reaction score
Well.....i've always wanted to go to music college. But I changed when i became a junior in high school this year. Right now i'm taking an AP class in economics and an IB class in business, both of which i enjoy very much, so i'll probably go to business school while still playing guitar as a hobby. I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have a steady source of income while still being able to afford gears and such than become a musician who struggles to pay rent. But that just the way i think. I admire people who have the courage to pursue music even though the chances of success are very low.

Brendan G

What is this then?
Reaction score
My plan is to become a physics major and then go on to at least get a Master's degree and if not physics, either some kind of science or math. Like other people I cannot see myself trying to make a living by playing music, and even as a hobby I'm starting to lose my drive to do anything with music.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
if I hadn't have known at a very early age that music was my calling, I would've ended up as a music journalist or a film critic, definitely.

zackkynapalm

Reaction score
I think if I don't do something music related in my life, I want to be a teacher.

I don't really care much about the pay-it'll get me by. But teaching just seems like it could be really fucking fun, in a real school situation. like english, or history if you could do your own spin on it.

I would teach high schoolers, not first graders or anything.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
Btw, we also supply each new resident with one of these:
marieserneholt.jpg

Ok, I really am moving to Sweden! :yesway:

MaKo´s Tethan

Reaction score
depends the year,
in 2004: skater,
In 2004: bmx dude.
in 2005-6: trial bike.
2007-9: downhill-freestyle-urban biker.
I`ll never become a pro, (not a pro musician too) but bike is my second occupation
(besides job, student, girlfriend and ssg.org)

raydn1

The Lightning Boy
Reaction score
I'm in Culinary School right now getting Cordon Bleu certified. My last band had a good run at it. Solid radio play, touring, and summer festivals...However Personalities started to clash and even a business relationship couldn't be stomached. I'm writing songs and trying to get the right players together to make one more good run at the brass ring before I call it a day.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, the things that interest me most, probably teaching or working in something like the IT industry perhaps, not really sure.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I'm a PR Manager so it seems like the plan B was my plan A to begin with. I've never intented to live with music because, especially in Brazil, I would have to be a sort of beggar to play metal and be able to live.

This.

My plan B which is actually my plan A is being a lawyer. I hate what I do, however.

Not to sound patriotic or anything, but this is what I like about Sweden... all schools, even universities, are completely free, you even get money from the state every month so you don't need to work during semesters. I'm taking a music production class next year that won't cost me a cent, save for some course litterature of course, although not much as most of it is based around the Pro Tools manual.

Sweden rocks. I have half a mind of getting an LLM in International Human Rights at the University of Lund sometime in the couple of years. :)

')