If Switching to Steven Slate Drums, best package to start with?

• Thread starter TonyFlyingSquirrel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I currently use SPARK by Arturia, and I love it, but I find the import samples function on it to be beyond my efficient workflow preferences, and I've always been impressed with what I've seen by Steven Slate, and in particular his collaborations with Chris Lord Alge.

Any recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Beyond is the title of the song. I wrote it in 1984, there's a previously recorded version that we recorded in 1995.

Last year, for my own band, WÖR Party, I decided to re-record it.
Here's that version so far, with drums from the Beta Monkey Library: Double Bass Mania, that I got from Spike 10 years ago when I worked for the turtle. These are pumped through Arturia's SPARK drum/sampler plugin.
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13630516

Here's the updated one from today, same midi files for the drums, just re-key-mapped, and a level or two here or there touched up, but no other comp/eq at all, this is all straight from Steven Slate Drums Platinum 4 using the Deftones Kit.
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13722616

I auditioned some other kits, but this one just sits in the mix wonderfully between my guitar, my bass players bass, & all my synth work.
This is my favorite snare drum ever, sampled from the snare used on White Pony by the Deftones.

I can't wait for my bass player to track his parts so all the cool stuff like fret noise & the other natural artifacts of a bass player playing with his fingers produces. This bass is midi that I did to demo for my bass player.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Slate Drums 5 just came out and from the short introduction clip it sounds great to me.
I have SSD4 but I also have SD2, and I'm undecided on whether to get the Superior 3 update or the Slate Drums 5 update.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Slate Drums 5 just came out and from the short introduction clip it sounds great to me.
I have SSD4 but I also have SD2, and I'm undecided on whether to get the Superior 3 update or the Slate Drums 5 update.

I just got it yesterday, but I'm having an issue in the file path in the upgrade with regard to settings. I'm sure it's user error on my part.