If You Can Name Just ONE Guitar Player...

• Thread starter WayneCustom7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jakeskylyr

Reaction score
I couldn't name just one, but it would be the combination of playing found in The Beatles' music. I started playing guitar when I was 5, and for a few years all I listened to were Beatles songs. I couldn't name just Harrison or Lennon (or even McCartney) individually, as it was a whole package deal. I just loved everything about The Beatles, and I still do! The Beatles made me want to play music in general. It wasn't until I was already a "developed" player that I broadened my horizons. I know this is a bit strange for someone my age (28), but it's how it started!

For bass it would be Chris Squire (followed closely by Paul McCartney) :)

Reaction score
Shannon said:
Eddie Van Halen. Not only is he a fantastic guitarist with amazing tone, but he's one of the few guitarists on stage who looked like he was having a blast! He is all smiles! ;)

+1. Slash influenced me too, but Van Halen made me want a guitar so badly I got a job in my high school cafeteria. (I was 14 & got $24/week...) :shred:

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Chris said:
Criss Oliva

+1

Criss' style was and is a huge influence on my playing. However, for getting me playing guitar and keeping me there, Satriani, definitely.

garcia3441

Tone Whore
Contributor
Reaction score
Steve Cropper.
My folks bought me a cheap guitar and since they were fans they bought me a 'Booker T & the MGs' record.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
George Harrison. I was about 2 1/2 when I saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, and it all started for me and the guitar that night. Ringo was a drummer, who cares? John and Paul were singing, and I Saw George standing there ;) with that big Gretsch Country Gentleman, and I wanted to be that guy with the guitar. I knew, right then and there, what I wanted to be and what I wanted to do with my whole life at that moment. When I saw the The Beatles that Sunday night it was as if existence changed from black and white to full color right before my eyes. I started asking for a guitar before the song was over, and that was 42 years ago. There have been lots of huge influences on my playing, with Howe, DiMeola, and Morse as the 3 biggest, but it all started with George and his Gretsch with The Beatles on Ed Sullivan back in the days of black and white TV and AM radio. May he Rest in Peace.

b3n

...Is unacceptable.
Contributor
Reaction score
Vai, for showing (IMO) that you can have mad chops and still play with feeling. I strive for both.

FoxMustang

Reaction score
The ONE guitarist that inspired me to start playing? Probably Satriani. Petrucci runs a very, very, very close second though. So close that I usually consider them a tie, but if I HAVE to pick one... :)

Gurj

Reaction score
Hendrix made me wanna play when I was a kid....but by the time I started learning, Hetfield was god.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Tony Iommi. Thats all i used to play was Black Sabbath.

Meowmixxer7

Reaction score
stevie ray vaughn, i can still remember when i first started playing, i went out and bought a sheet music book of his, taking it home, and then crying because it was like someone spilled notes on a page.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield of Metallica. Then shortly after, Joe Satriani's FIABD. :cool:

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Jani Liimatainen. That's why seeing them last tuesday, on my birthday, was something special. I got my first guitar a week after I heard 8th commandment. WHICH, btw, sonata arctica, best band ever. Period. Done. Finished. End of story.

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
My dad or Petrucci. When I first picked up guitar, I was gettin into Dream Theater and Home was one of the first songs I learned any of. My dad ended up introducing me to Ozzy, Maiden, Rush, Yes, and Pink Floyd, all bands I dig now and influence my style.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
He didn't make me pick up guitar intially, but who has had the biggest impact on my guitar playing is definately James Murphy.

Why? Just listen to him.

')