If You Can Name Just ONE Guitar Player...

• Thread starter WayneCustom7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
David said:
[David rant on]
AHHH!!! Kurt Cobain!!! anyone else see him as the man who killed music?
[David rant off]

No. He may not be your cup of tea, but as with ANY form of music, there's still a certain level of validity there. Besides, how can you say he's the man that killed music? Dude, he's not the "be all end all" of music. How can you put that much weight on one man's shoulders?

Music trends move in cycles. A particular genre is popular for a few years. After that, the market gets oversaturated with a 1000 bands that all sound alike & then another genre takes over. At the time of Nevermind's release, the market was oversaturated with hair metal. Nirvana came at a perfect time when people wanted something new. You may not have liked it, but hey, you weren't even in kindergarden yet. :lol: Anyway, grunge ran its course, just as nu-metal did and metalcore will. In the next year, look for another shift because we are definately due.

MOD SIDENOTE: This thread will now get back on topic. If this becomes another tired Cobain debate, I'll shut this fucker down.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

that guy

Reaction score
some old black guy i south side music... . i was in there buying reeds for my saxophone and he was in the back just shedding his ass off... i looked at him and thought ..i wanna do that

that guy

Reaction score
Shannon said:
No. He may not be your cup of tea, but as with ANY form of music, there's still a certain level of validity there. Besides, how can you say he's the man that killed music? Dude, he's not the "be all end all" of music. How can you put that much weight on one man's shoulders?

Music trends move in cycles. A particular genre is popular for a few years. After that, the market gets oversaturated with a 1000 bands that all sound alike & then another genre takes over. At the time of Nevermind's release, the market was oversaturated with hair metal. Nirvana came at a perfect time when people wanted something new. You may not have liked it, but hey, you weren't even in kindergarden yet. :lol: Anyway, grunge ran its course, just as nu-metal did and metalcore will. In the next year, look for another shift because we are definately due.

MOD SIDENOTE: This thread will now get back on topic. If this becomes another tired Cobain debate, I'll shut this fucker down.

we already are shifting with the hardcore scene

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
that guy said:
we already are shifting with the hardcore scene
Yep, I'm taking notice.

Ok, back on topic for real this time. ;)

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
Ron thal and Michael Amott

I dunno, I just enjoyed them so much that they were focal points of practice.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
David said:
[David rant on]

AHHH!!! Kurt Cobain!!! anyone else see him as the man who killed music? It wasn't really his fault... because he said he wasn't a guitarist... but more the people that listened to him and had that "I can do that" type of teen spirit, like you Naren, BUT, they only kept to powerchords, and continued making shitty ass music till it came to be like today. Some people tell me that I need to get my head out of my ass, because it's not all about skill, but, with skill, you get experience, and more ways to make something powerful. Sonata Arctica's feel and passion > Nirvana anyday. My Euro teacher said to me one day while I was playing guitar at school, that I may be able to play really well, but it's not how I'm going to get famous... and I told him... it's not about getting famous... he called me crazy. So I gave him my 4 sonata arctica CD's, and he said he almost had a heart attack listening to it because it played with his emotions so much, he started shaking... haha.

I respect new punk/mainstream/emo/nu metal just as much as president bush...:lol:

[David rant off]

I flex in your general direction, sir. Kurt was the guy who sparked that "I need to be doing this" drive within me.

You're a decent-enough guy and all even if you're dead-wrong. :lol:

[action=Drew]abuses his mod privelages and grartuitiously ignores shannon.;)[/action]

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
I flex in your general direction, sir. Kurt was the guy who sparked that "I need to be doing this" drive within me.

You're a decent-enough guy and all even if you're dead-wrong. :lol:

[action=Drew]abuses his mod privelages and grartuitiously ignores shannon.;)[/action]

[action=David]stays quiet! lol :ban: ;)[/action]

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Eddie Van Halen.
I'll never forget the first time I heard "I'm the One".
I'm an old fucker too, I actually saw the Black Sabbath/Van Halen tour back in 78 :rolleyes:
Tony Iommi made me love metal, EVH made me want to shred :hbang:

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Criss Oliva

:agreed: Ditto on that one, Chris... was one of the first concerts that I wen't too. He just stood there, looked evil, and rocked the shit out of you with his flawless playing and dramatic soloing. My kind of rock star. :bowdown: He is always missed.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Kerry King was the reason I started guitar.....which is probably why I suck at guitar. I saw the live Raining Blood/Black Magic video on the Power 30 here in Canada and I just had to be the dude with the pointy guitar. No guitar store understood pointy or "arrowhead" guitars.

John Petrucci came into my life when Images and Words got released and then I started getting better.

Reaction score
My earliest influence was probably Hetfield.

My biggest influence to really improve as a player is Shawn Lane.

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
I'm going to pick two: Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols and Mick Jones of The Clash.

')