If You Can Name Just ONE Guitar Player...

• Thread starter WayneCustom7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
psyphre said:
Same.....

No Eddie Van = No Tony playing guitar

...and as an add, yeah I always dug how happy he seemed to be while playing. Like there was absolutely nothing else on Earth he'd rather do.

Loved that....

+1! The guy just had so much energy...it was impossible not to get swept away by it. I really wish I'd actually been around to really experience it when he first made his mark.

+1 for Tony as well. When I started playing, I taught myself pretty much every Sabbath song going, just because they were easier than Iron Maiden's! It was cool to realise that I lot of songs I really liked were within my limited technical boundaries, and was a really great incentive to learn more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
No such player for me, but if I had to say, it probably was Kurt Cobaine. I thought Nirvana's songs were awesome and I really wanted to be able to play all of Cobaine's songs (which I now can). I believed that Kurt Cobaine's songs were ones I'd be able to play. And I was right.

ecalcagnino

\mm/
Contributor
Reaction score
Chris Poland.

He has 13 fingers and plays scales and timings that disappear from earth as he plays them. He is liquid guitar.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
psyphre said:
...and as an add, yeah I always dug how happy he seemed to be while playing. Like there was absolutely nothing else on Earth he'd rather do.

I wish we could find him a 12+ hour a day gig, so he'd be happy all the time. Maybe then he would quit acting like a stupid drunk.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
ecalcagnino said:
Chris Poland.

He has 13 fingers and plays scales and timings that disappear from earth as he plays them. He is liquid guitar.

:agreed: Mike was playing a few of us some clips from the upcoming Pharoah album (great stuff, btw), where Poland has a guest solo spot on one of the songs. He rips off this absolutely staggering ascending run, right into a lot of that melodic/bending weirdness and all-out shred that never seems to sound like shred when Chris does it.

Our drummer just looks at us and says, "But it doesn't exactly fit...."

We were quick to defend it, because you never call up Chris Poland if you want a specific type of solo for some random rhythm part. You call up Poland if you want a Poland solo over a rhythm part that has other people wondering how they'd solo over it, and Chris makes something fit with the ear that only a jazz master has.

If guitar were a religion, he would be one of the apostles.

CL7

Gangsta Guitarist
Reaction score
I'd have to say Dino Cazares. He has the most amazing tone and riffing skills imagineable.

Oogadee Boogadee

ss.orggy biscuit
Forum MVP
Reaction score
noodles said:
Our drummer just looks at us and says, "But it doesn't exactly fit...."

We were quick to defend it, because you never call up Chris Poland if you want a specific type of solo for some random rhythm part. You call up Poland if you want a Poland solo over a rhythm part that has other people wondering how they'd solo over it, and Chris makes something fit with the ear that only a jazz master has.

If guitar were a religion, he would be one of the apostles.

i'd really have to listen to it again to give you a more thought-out critique, but, all amazing technicallity aside, my first and only impression of that one single listen I had, of that one and only lead, for that one specific song was: THAT specific solo sounded like he was in his own world, instead of trying to play in Pharoah's world. I do remember it was supposed to be an ambient weird original moment - he achieved it.

I never said Chris ALWAYS plays stuff that sounds like it doesn't fit. I was only referring to that Pharaoh solo - that he e-mailed to the studio - not his entire body of work.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
SHREDDER said:
In 1976 (I was only 9, showing my age here) my uncle took me to see Black Sabbath. Holy Shit, that concert blew me away and changed my life forever. TONY IOMMI! His bone crushing riffs just captivated me. I begged my dad for a guitar for over 7 months until he finnally gave in and bought me my first guitar. An Ibanez artist series, double cutaway with a sunburst finish. I have been playing ever since.

:bowdown: TONI IOMMI
Its about time someone else said it \m/ :hbang:

String Seraphim

The Walkin' Dude
Reaction score
Petrucci for guitar, that guy still humbles me to absolute dirt every time i see him pick up a guitar be it six or seven stringed.

Cliff Burton (someone rest his soul) for bass, never seen a more animated dude play wiht so much feeling. Pulling Teeth still makes me smile inside.

Yo Yo Mah (who didnt see that comin) for cello, he's just amazing. So much feeling in the vibrato its insane.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
No such player for me, but if I had to say, it probably was Kurt Cobaine. I thought Nirvana's songs were awesome and I really wanted to be able to play all of Cobaine's songs (which I now can). I believed that Kurt Cobaine's songs were ones I'd be able to play. And I was right.

I'm sure you mean "Cobain." :nono:

anarchistwar

Reaction score
String Seraphim said:
Cliff Burton (someone rest his soul) for bass, never seen a more animated dude play wiht so much feeling. Pulling Teeth still makes me smile inside.

Dude Cliff!!!!!! for bass definetly:metal:

and Jimmy Page for guitar, zeppelin solos' and riffs....:shred:

what really kept me playing-Hammet and Hetfield. again for riffs from Hetfield and solo's from Hammet:hbang:

angryman

Djentleman
Reaction score
Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
James Murphy! I was already playing the guitar by the time i heard James but there was just somethin about his lead work that stood out & to this day it sends shivers down my spine! His contributions to Death Metal are just totally amazing & OBITUARY's Cause of Death album wouldn't have been half as good without his fluid & awesome leads!

tongueofcolicab

kali is the sweethog
Reaction score
wes borland really did it for me. back when i was a little kid i'd see him play this weird styled guitar playing and i couldn't relate him to any one guitar player so i was pretty much blown away. even though it's not technically over the top, it still moved me.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Shannon said:
I'm sure you mean "Cobain." :nono:

No, I mean Cobaine, the lead guitarist for the band "Blood-steeped Doom."

Geeeez, Shannon. :rolleyes:

DelfinoPie

Whoopsie Daisy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, ive wanted to play guitar since I was 7...and my parents wouldn't let me...so that made me want to play even more, so I'd have to credit them...eventually my mom folded and bought me my first guitar when I was 15.

Otherwise, undoubtedly Adam Jones from T00L, I love everything T00L have ever done and around the same time the guy who equally influenced me to play harder and actually learn some decent shit and theory, Satch.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
[David rant on]

AHHH!!! Kurt Cobain!!! anyone else see him as the man who killed music? It wasn't really his fault... because he said he wasn't a guitarist... but more the people that listened to him and had that "I can do that" type of teen spirit, like you Naren, BUT, they only kept to powerchords, and continued making shitty ass music till it came to be like today. Some people tell me that I need to get my head out of my ass, because it's not all about skill, but, with skill, you get experience, and more ways to make something powerful. Sonata Arctica's feel and passion > Nirvana anyday. My Euro teacher said to me one day while I was playing guitar at school, that I may be able to play really well, but it's not how I'm going to get famous... and I told him... it's not about getting famous... he called me crazy. So I gave him my 4 sonata arctica CD's, and he said he almost had a heart attack listening to it because it played with his emotions so much, he started shaking... haha.

I respect new punk/mainstream/emo/nu metal just as much as president bush...:lol:

[David rant off]

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
DelfinoPie said:
Well, ive wanted to play guitar since I was 7...and my parents wouldn't let me...so that made me want to play even more, so I'd have to credit them...eventually my mom folded and bought me my first guitar when I was 15.

Otherwise, undoubtedly Adam Jones from T00L, I love everything T00L have ever done and around the same time the guy who equally influenced me to play harder and actually learn some decent shit and theory, Satch.
you lazy ass! lol, go get a job!;) I had the same situation pretty much. I really wanted to play guitar ever since I was little, but my cracked out loser ass parents couldn't afford one that was $50 at a pawn shop... which I asked for as my b-day and christmas president for the next 2 years... Eventually, I started working when I was 11 cause the food was getting kind of low, and managed to scramble up enough money by the time I was 13 to get my first guitar.:) I always wonder tho, how good would I be if I had started when I was much younger?

')