If you could choose just one amp....

• Thread starter desmondtencents
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

desmondtencents

Plays With Wood!
Reaction score
It's awesome to have a ton of cool gear but if you suddenly had to downsize to just one rig what would it be?
I'm trying to help out a friend in choosing something for his son. The kid is good and has tendancies toward heavier things but will also need to be able to get a good clean sound.
So here's what I'm thinking as far as features:

At least two channels, three would be better
Capable of killer high gain
Capable of producing shimmering cleans
Have a good, non tone sucking effects loop
Must take well to pedals placed out front

The budget for this is likely to be $2,500 to $3,000 for an amp/cab setup. He'd like to have a 4x12 but might be convinced to go 2x12 if it's absolutely killer. I've suggested Axe fx, Kemper, Pod HD Pro but the desire is for a good ol' school half stack.

Ready, GO!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

damico529

Reaction score
evh 5153, fender cleans with all the balls of the 5150.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
5150III mini and a V30 loaded 2x12 or 4x12 cab. With that budget he could also get a boost, gate, etc.

Or a Mark V head as mentioned above. I've got one and it's by far the most versatile head I've ever used, though depending on the type of heavy sound he's going for, a 5153 may be more ideal since it's more modern-sounding than the Mark and still has good cleans, but is a bit less versatile.

Know any bands or sounds he would be going for? Some clips or examples could also help point you/him in the right direction.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
Another vote for a mark v/mesa cab. I play in a few differen bands and I need super high gain tones as well as blues overdriven stuff and really nice thick jazzy cleans, mark v cab do it all and more. But I wouldn't underestimate a nice dual rectifier into an orange 212. Little less versatile but if you're good at changing tones with your hands and playing style you can definitely get amazing tones

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
one rig that does it all for $2500 usd..
most of this will need to be bought used, but here goes:

pod hd pro ~$575 ebay
shortboard mkII ~$110 guitar center used
relay g55 wireless ~$429 ebay
carvin ts100 ~$430 guitar center used
mesa boogie oversized 4x12 ~$520 guitar center used
6U shock rack ~$130 guitar center used

over estimating with 8% tax on grand total: ~$2369.52

this gets him a live rig that can be run direct simultaneously in case his power amp and cab fail. it can also function as an audio interface that he can record with. if he wants, he can upgrade components of the rig later on... pod hd pro will get some hate from a few on here, but like any recent modeler just RTFM and great sounding patches can be had.

i'm guessing the op's friend is starting from scratch, and all this will allow him to hit the ground running. this should hold him over long enough save up for exactly what he wants..

:2c:

edit: reread the op and saw that the kid wants a half stack... but imo, a rack setup will allow a ton more flexibility. setup and tare-down will take far less time than with a traditional amp/cab. take it from someone who's done time with both. also, to further adhere to the amp/cab paradigm he can grab a spider valve mkI or II..

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
For me, the rig would be an Axe Fx and an FRFR, maybe a poweramp/cab if you prefer.

For your friend's son, a 5153 and a Mesa rectifier cab sounds like it would be perfect for what you want.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Peavey 6505 with mesa cab. and a few pedals

As sick as the high gain tone is, c'mon man "Capable of producing shimmering cleans", it's not gonna happen with a 6505 :lol: Effects loop isn't the best either.
4 cable method with something like a Boss GT-8 is a good workaround for better clean sounds, but possibly more trouble than it's worth.

MrPowers

Reaction score
1. (Used) Engl Invader (Preferably with a G12K-100 cab)
2. EVH 5150III
3. Mesa Mark V

That's what I would do. It kind of depends on the flavor you want. For the wild card I would say look at a Framus Cobra or Dragon.

tedtan

Reaction score
He'd have to go used, but I vote for Mesa Mark V or Road King II/Roadster. Maybe a 5150 III (I haven't played one in person).

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Find a gently used ISP Theta Combo.

Best cleans I've ever heard. Unreal amount of gain on tap. Effects loop is super clear.

A monster with so much versatility it's borderline criminal.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
My Mesa Roadster did all of that. :) One of my all-time favorites. I spent $2850 on the head and cab together.

')