If you could choose just one amp....

• Thread starter desmondtencents
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metaloaf

Reaction score
Laney VH100R.
Everything you're asking for it's there; 2 channels each with an independent drive channel (so more like 4 channels), very versatile effects loop, plenty of distortion, great cleans, reverb effect, even a return level on the back that can be used as a sort of 'attenuator' (no exactly but sort of), and is not going to cost him 2,500-3,000 which will leave him with more than enough to get even more gear like overdrive pedals and what not, if he wanted more out of the amp; but it's not like it doesn't already have plenty of distortion. As for the clean tone, it has some of the best cleans you can get for an amp like this, excluding boutiques, fenders and the like which are not likely to have enough distortion or they cost way more than the Laney.
Overall is very versatile and it can cover a pretty good spectrum of tones which like I said can be pushed more with pedals but it's not an absolute necessity. New ones go for around 1600 (for the head) but I got mine used for under 700 and would have paid the full price for it, it's awesome! definitely recommend it.

desmondtencents

Plays With Wood!
Reaction score
Awesome responses. I'm gonna run a few ideas by my buddy and see what he thinks. He's trying to get a head start for christmas. (and yeah, I wish my dad would have bought me a $3,000 rig when I was a teenager) He's going at it the right way though. Wants to buy him something that will last a while, not just something that'll get him by while he saves up for "the real thing"
He'd like to buy him another guitar too, so he can have more than one string gauge/tuning set up at all times. I think I might try to steer him toward the 5153 50W and a good 2x12 V30 cab. This would be a killer rig for a long time and allow him enough cash left for a good second guitar.
I'm definitely going to look at some of the suggestions too so if there are any more send em.
You guys rock!

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
thats the way to do it, when i have a kid ill get him his pricey $3,000 rig when hes a toddler. then i never have to go christmas shopping again for him! :lol::lol:

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
That's a great budget. I guess everyone has their own idea of "killer high gain." If you are throwing down that much coin and your son doesn't really have any tendency towards certain gear, maybe ya should pick his brain a little or do some hands-on exploration with stuff. Sometimes people just want a Mesa/Marshall/Orange logo.

')