I'm a Complete Beginner

• Thread starter Thatch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thatch

Reaction score
Yeah as the title says I've just picked up a guitar like 3 days ago...
I have very limited practice time. (an hour a day at very max)
At the moment i am practicing the chromatic scale and a couple of chords that were in an internet lesson... :shred:

So any books, dvd's, internet sites (i already know about this one, obviously :nuts: ) that anyone could recommend would be great.

Also i travel a lot too and from work (4hrs a day :spock:) so if anyone could point out any, books or magazines that will help, but are mostly reading that would also be very handy.

Cheers :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have any prior experience with music?

Probably the best thing for you right now is physically playing the instrument as much as possible, exercises, basic riffs etc.

Have you considered sleeping less? :lol: Red Bull and coffee.....

Thatch

Reaction score
Urmm i have been playing drums for last two years but that's as far as music experience goes, don't know how to read music or anything like that lol

Any exercises in particular? i think i need to work on my finger dexterity.....

fuck red bull lol, i drink the new mother, it's cheaper and twice the size XD

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, at long as you're on some kind of stimulant :lol:

Playing drums is a huge benefit to playing any other instrument IMO

For basic finger exercises you can take stuff like this and play them over every string starting at every fret... (numbers representing frets, lines representing strings)

--------------------1234---------------------
----------------1234----1234----------------
------------1234------------1234------------
--------1234--------------------1234--------
----1234----------------------------1234----
1234------------------------------------1234

Then switch from frets 1,2,3,4 etc. to 1,3,4, then 1,2,4, then 1,3,5. Then reverse the sequences, start skipping strings. Try them with all downstrokes, then all upstrokes, then alternate picking. You're after consistent rythm and power (attack), plus you get familiar with the fretboard and where each note is found on it.

A good right hand exercise involves simply sitting in front of the TV and only practicing picking. Do a few minutes of downstrokes on just the E string, then another few minutes on just the A string, just the D string etc. Then do only upstrokes for a few minutes on each string. Next only alternate picking. You do this kind of thing in front of the TV because it's boring as shit, but it really does help.

klutvott

Reaction score
And if you want something to do while you travel too/from work you could always pick up a copy of guitar techniques. The best guitar magazine out there IMO. THere's usually something for everyone in that magazine and it doesn't have al the useless junk that you'll find in other magazines.

Thatch

Reaction score
Cheers for the help, I'll definately be doing so of those exercises tonight :hbang:

and i'll be sure to pick up a copy of guitar techniques 2moro :agreed:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
The 1-2-3-4 thing is really really helpful. I started doing that about 8-9 years ago when I first started guitar. Nowadays, I do a version of it that is 1-3-2-4 and then skip a string, then go back a string, then skip a string, and keep doing that until you get to the end. Then at the end, you move everything up one fret and go back backwards, like: 5-3-4-2. And so on.

Those kinds of things should really help both your left and right hands. And it should also really help build callouses, which your fingers lack at the beginning. Should get your dexterity up and just help you in any physical way you can think of (it's not going to teach you scales or theory, but it'll get your physical abilities up).

Reaction score
Hey, at long as you're on some kind of stimulant :lol:

Playing drums is a huge benefit to playing any other instrument IMO

For basic finger exercises you can take stuff like this and play them over every string starting at every fret... (numbers representing frets, lines representing strings)

Then switch from frets 1,2,3,4 etc. to 1,3,4, then 1,2,4, then 1,3,5. Then reverse the sequences, start skipping strings. Try them with all downstrokes, then all upstrokes, then alternate picking. You're after consistent rythm and power (attack), plus you get familiar with the fretboard and where each note is found on it.

A good right hand exercise involves simply sitting in front of the TV and only practicing picking. Do a few minutes of downstrokes on just the E string, then another few minutes on just the A string, just the D string etc. Then do only upstrokes for a few minutes on each string. Next only alternate picking. You do this kind of thing in front of the TV because it's boring as shit, but it really does help.

this really helps, i do it everyday.
its the first thing i do to warmup, it gets the bloodflowing.
i also do rusty cooley's legato workout, but not all.

sloopy70

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just starting out too... Played bass a couple years ago, but never really put much effort into it... Going to buy a ESP LTD F-100FM in a week or so with a Peavey Vypyr 15W amp... Any more exercises like these would help alot from some of you more experienced guys... I've borrowed "Biggness" ESP Viper to practice on till I order my LTD... Thanks for the help...

Bevo

Reaction score
May I suggest you also find a few easy songs to play, this will help you by getting used to the timing and moving your hands around.
Couple that come are Punk songs, Ramones Blitkriege Bop, The KKK and even dare I say some Green Day.
Practice one bar at a time till you get it then move to the next, then combine the two.
Once you play along just concentrate on one good chord change till you get it, after you can add all the extra notes.

Worst thing about learning is you play all these scales which you have to but at the end of the day you can't play a song.

Trust me, its a big rush to play an entire song begining to end!

Bev

Jackface20

Reaction score
One thing no one else has said is to try focus on being relaxed at all times when playing - its much much easier to learn with relaxed posture than fixing it later - i injured my shoulder as a result of not doing this - so you need to always practice slowly at a comfortable pace dont push it

and second, if you have that much travel time do some music theory, some more music theory and a bit more music theory :p read books, internet articles whatever just read a lot its good in the long run

sixty

Reaction score
Never quit playing or trying different excersizes. Technical terms and such can be discouraging (Like anything you need to just about learn a new language lol) You will never stop learning. It's a beautiful thing my friend ;)

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score

Aren't you missing a string?:fawk:
Actually, that's what I often do when I watch DVDs. I'll sit and do chromatic runs like that. If I'm having a good day, I'll start skipping strings. Then after a while, switch to your favorite scales.

freepower

Reaction score
Urmm i have been playing drums for last two years but that's as far as music experience goes, don't know how to read music or anything like that lol

Thats fantastic! A sense of timing is the main impediment to most new guitarists.

Learn what you love and don't worry too much about anything really at this stage, provided you're comfy. I'd recommend checking out all the lessons in my sig and seeing if they make sense to you - they are aimed at beginners, so I hope so!

')