I'm a complete newbie to 7 strings, and I'd like some advice if it's not a problem.

• Thread starter x178x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

x178x

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure if there's any form of FAQ section to this site... so I'm sorry if posting in this forum is a bad idea.

Anyways, I've been taking lessons for a little while now, and I'm starting to become a decent player, but that's on a 6 string.

I've never played a 7 string before, but recently they've become a huge interest of mine. I just really want to be able to expand my range and potential, along with getting that crazy low tone that I love. (I'm a huge Meshuggah fan... and yes, I know they have 8's now)

Moving on, I have a few questions to ask anyone that's willing to answer.

The guitar I have my eyes on right now is a basic Black Ibanez RG7321, I'm wondering if this would be a good 7 string to start on, or if it's just a good choice in general?

My other question was, would it be a bad idea to move on to a 7 string if I'm still pretty newbish to 6 strings?

Any advice would be a big help, and once again, sorry if I'm posting on the wrong forum.

-Alex

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome :wavey:

The RG7321 is a decent guitar, but make sure you play the one you're planning to buy (or get one from someone on here with a good rep) as quality control for them is hit and miss. Also, you will probably want to swap the pickups out as the stock pickups in the 7321 are pretty bad.

If you don't need 24 frets, there's a new S7320 coming out in a few months that looks killer as well, though more expensive.

You could also go for a used RG7420/RG7421 or RG7620/RG7621 depending on if you want a trem (model ending in 0 = trem, model ending in 1 = hardtail).

As for moving on to a seven from a six, it's not that big a deal. It's just an extra string that extends your range. I'm relearning to play after a 10 year 'break' and decided to use exclusively sevens this time around because they offer more flexibility.

x178x

Reaction score
Oh, nevermind, I suppose the beginner forum would be a better choice, sorry all.

Welcome :wavey:

The RG7321 is a decent guitar, but make sure you play the one you're planning to buy (or get one from someone on here with a good rep) as quality control for them is hit and miss. Also, you will probably want to swap the pickups out as the stock pickups in the 7321 are pretty bad.

If you don't need 24 frets, there's a new S7320 coming out in a few months that looks killer as well, though more expensive.

You could also go for a used RG7420/RG7421 or RG7620/RG7621 depending on if you want a trem (model ending in 0 = trem, model ending in 1 = hardtail).

As for moving on to a seven from a six, it's not that big a deal. It's just an extra string that extends your range. I'm relearning to play after a 10 year 'break' and decided to use exclusively sevens this time around because they offer more flexibility.
Oh wow, thank you!

Well you see... the issue is, I don't know of any stores in my location that are selling the Ibanez that I'm looking for, the only 7 string that I know of around my location is a Dean 7 string, no idea what the model name is.

I don't know much about pick ups, either, but I'll write this advice down, thank you!

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to Steve's advice.

You may find it easier to switch to a 7 than someone who's been playing for many years. I'd been playing for about 6 years when I first got my 7, but still I felt fully adjusted to the extra string by the end of the first day of playing. The regular 6 strings are still there so it's really not a very big adjustment.

Although I've never owned an RG, I'm very happy with the Ibanez Universe that I bought back in 1990, and I'm sure if you get a professional setup done on your RG it'll play as good as anything else available.

So basically, go for it man!

x178x

Reaction score
+1 to Steve's advice.

You may find it easier to switch to a 7 than someone who's been playing for many years. I'd been playing for about 6 years when I first got my 7, but still I felt fully adjusted to the extra string by the end of the first day of playing. The regular 6 strings are still there so it's really not a very big adjustment.

Although I've never owned an RG, I'm very happy with the Ibanez Universe that I bought back in 1990, and I'm sure if you get a professional setup done on your RG it'll play as good as anything else available.

So basically, go for it man!
Aye... I'd love to get an Ibanez Universe, but I have no idea where I can buy them, both online or around my area. The RG is the only thing I can find that I know how to buy. XD

Oh well... I'm really liking the way it looks, and I think I'm going to go for it.

Thanks for the advice all!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, nevermind, I suppose the beginner forum would be a better choice, sorry all.

Oh wow, thank you!

Well you see... the issue is, I don't know of any stores in my location that are selling the Ibanez that I'm looking for, the only 7 string that I know of around my location is a Dean 7 string, no idea what the model name is.

I don't know much about pick ups, either, but I'll write this advice down, thank you!

Ok, if you need to go mail order then your best bet would be to get something used and shoot for one of the models I mentioned above (or get a 7321 from someone on here that has a decent one). Alternatively, if you really want to go new and don't mind a thicker neck, Schecters are very nice guitars that aren't priced too badly and have very consistent quality, or if you can save for it the RG1527 is very nice.

x178x

Reaction score
Ok, if you need to go mail order then your best bet would be to get something used and shoot for one of the models I mentioned above (or get a 7321 from someone on here that has a decent one). Alternatively, if you really want to go new and don't mind a thicker neck, Schecters are very nice guitars that aren't priced too badly and have very consistent quality, or if you can save for it the RG1527 is very nice.
Thank you very much for your help, I actually checked out the Schecter 7 strings, and they're amazing, but, my friend Matt has one, he says it's amazing, but it hurts his back because it's so heavy, I'll look into it, though, thanks a bunch!

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum!

To move to 7 it's really easy, you have to seat some seconds and think, "ok, this have another string, now the chords are a down string".

It's really easy.

Start with a 7 or start with a 6 it's the same thing.

The Ibanez RG7321, i played that guitar, i like it, but when you play better and better you will see that the pickups are really bad.

But it's a really nice guitar to start.

Come on man, you are going to buy a 7, and then you buy an 8, you always want to expand your range.

Saludos!

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help, I actually checked out the Schecter 7 strings, and they're amazing, but, my friend Matt has one, he says it's amazing, but it hurts his back because it's so heavy, I'll look into it, though, thanks a bunch!

If you plan to tune as low as Meshuggah, you're better off getting a Schecter Blackjack or Hellraiser because they have a longer scale (26.5")than the Ibanez guitars.

And don't worry--it takes about 10 minutes to get used to playing a 7.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
If you plan to tune as low as Meshuggah, you're better off getting a Schecter Blackjack or Hellraiser because they have a longer scale (26.5")than the Ibanez guitars.

And don't worry--it takes about 10 minutes to get used to playing a 7.

That's what i think.

When you buy a heavy guitar, put a thick strap, like 10cm or more, that make that the weigth of the guitar "looks" soft.

Schecter to drop F are very good, they have longest scale, IMO have more intonation a baritone guitar.

x178x

Reaction score
Wow, thanks again guys, that's some awesome advice.

So... I guess I should just be going for a Schecter Blackjack with a thicker strap. Hopefully I can afford it... if not, maybe I could mess around with the pickups on an Ibanez.

Once again, thanks a lot guys!

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
So... I guess I should just be going for a Schecter Blackjack with a thicker strap. Hopefully I can afford it... if not, maybe I could mess around with the pickups on an Ibanez.

Schecter 7s are pretty common nowadays, so I would recommend you try one before you get it.

They have extremely thick necks. Some people like that, some people don't, but it's something to take into consideration. Also, the extended scale could make the fretboard seem a bit more imposing when you first get the guitar, so beware of that.

Schecters are excellent quality, and the Blackjacks come with excellent pick-ups, so it's something you won't have to mess with.

x178x

Reaction score
I see some of you recommending some other Ibanez guitars to start out with, do any of you know of a good site that I could buy these from? I only know of musiciansfriend, and music123, and they both had the same guitars.

Schecter 7s are pretty common nowadays, so I would recommend you try one before you get it.

They have extremely thick necks. Some people like that, some people don't, but it's something to take into consideration. Also, the extended scale could make the fretboard seem a bit more imposing when you first get the guitar, so beware of that.

Schecters are excellent quality, and the Blackjacks come with excellent pick-ups, so it's something you won't have to mess with.
I love the look of Schecters, and I love thicker necks, I love the look and feel of them. But I've never tried a Schecter 7 string before, I should try to look for a store that would have some in stock. I've heard they sound amazing.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, my eyes hurt so i can't be bothered everyone's replies (sorry!), but i'd suggest the 7420 or 7421 if you can find them. They get pretty cheap nowadays, the pups aen't really that bad, the Lo-TRS7 is ace despite what some may say around here :lol: and the neck is simply to die for. I play my 7 for all my 6 songs just for the neck. Its a comfort thing. And the change isn't that bad as long as you are open minded - ignore all the horror stories of people who "couldn't get used to that extra string" on eBay. Generally, they were just too much of a wuss. :fawk:
:lol:
Go for it dude. You won't regret it.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see some of you recommending some other Ibanez guitars to start out with, do any of you know of a good site that I could buy these from? I only know of musiciansfriend, and music123, and they both had the same guitars.

Well most of the Ibanez models people mentioned (RG7620/RG7621/RG7420/RG7421/S7420) have all been discontinued so either a local shop that handles used stuff, here in the classifieds, or ebay are your best bets. The RG7321, RG1527, K-7 and Universe are the only Ibanez sevens currently in production. It also looks like Ibanez will be introducing an S7320 in January.

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
Schecter C-7 is a really heavy sounding fucker, very nice...

but...

do thyself a favour, invest in a new (bigger) amp, sevens like big speakers...and the fender only has an 8" I think...I'd be looking 12"+

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
My advice: buy a used Ibanez RG7621 or 7421 off of eBay. Not only are they decent quality guitars, but you can get them very cheap on eBay and sell them for as much as you paid if it turns out you don't like playing a 7-string. And there's no guarantee you'll take to 7-string. You sort of have to try it to know for sure. A 7321 isn't bad, but not as high quality as the old 7621 or 7421. For a "tryout" 7-string, I wouldn't spend the money it would take to get a Schecter Blackjack or Hellraiser. If you like playing sevens, you can alway get one of those later.

Sebastian

Reaction score
My other question was, would it be a bad idea to move on to a 7 string if I'm still pretty newbish to 6 strings?

Im a beginner guitar player (i play 6 months total , and like... 3 on a 7 string)
And i have to say that its not a bad thing - althought i helps.. you dont have to detune yur guitar everytime you want to play something"lower"
and its always good to have a 7 string :lol:

PDU-OTIO

Reaction score
Everyone's got some great advice.
Nik is right to consider though, if your aiming to go lower than the typical 7 tunings, your going to need a longer scale.
If your just wanting to break yourself into a 7 w/out spending alot, an Ibanez 7421 is the best way to go.
You can find a good used one here or ebay.
Just be careful to cover everything with the seller on condition and a return if need be.
The 7421's I think are the best recommendation b/c though they don't have DiMarzio's, they are still made in Japan.
I DON'T know if the 7321 is, so I'd say forget about it.
The 7621 or 7620, is a step up, maily b/c the DiMarzio's, and you can probably get a 7621 for the same as a 7421.
21 means fixed bridge, 20, means floyd, I woudn't consider the 7420 b/c the trem is nothing compared to the 7620 which has the LoPro.
So you'll have to think of all this and decide what you want.
Nik was saying about the scale length b/c for these Ibanez models, they are all 25 1/2 inch long, very safe to go down to A, after that I think you really should consider a longer scale, if you can find a 7421XL, that would be suffice, but you will for sure have to come up with a custom set of strings to go lower than A and it not be floppy.
Pray all this makes since.
I think the sooner you convert the better, get familiar w/both 6 & 7, so you don't maybe trip later like some few do.
Good luck,
peace...

Latest posts

')