I'm beginning to understand how to record on a laptop. Can I get some help, please?

• Thread starter Indigenous
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
Alright everyone, over the past few days I've been browsing the recording studio forums trying to figure out how I can record my guitar on my laptop. Here's my general understanding of one decent, affordable method to do so. Keep in mind it's very rudimentary at this point, but these steps seem to be what I need to do to record:

-Download a program called Reaper to use as a digital audio station for mixing, mastering, etc.

-Buy a DI box to link my guitar to my computer. I was considering using this: Amazon.com: Behringer ULTRA-G GI100 Active DI Box for Guitar: Musical Instruments
although I'm certainly open to better suggestions.

-Download Amp Simulators (I was thinking from LePou, specifically the LeGion one), and Amp Impulses (I was considering using Kefir to run the TSEx50 impulse, or maybe the TSEx30).

-Put it all together, and go about trying to make a sound I'm happy with.

This is my general understanding of a good way to record on a laptop. It's rather cost effective, because I wasn't going to go and purchase a POD with no recording experience or any certainty that I would be able to record. I'm aware it's more difficult than how I just laid it out, but I've found a few tutorials and I can always ask for advice here. Please note, I'll be doing all of this on a Mac most likely, so if anything I've listed is not compatible that I didn't catch, please tell me.

Again, if anyone has any suggestions, advice, etc, I'd be more than happy to hear it. I just wanted to make sure that I have a basic understanding of what I'm doing and won't be wasting any money. Thank you for reading, I know it was a lot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

steve1

Reaction score
i may be wrong, but i don't think you can link the behringer DI directly to your computer. you need an interface.

Line 6 has some affordable stuff POD Studio | Line 6

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
I may also be mistaken, but I thought Reaper functioned as the interface.

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
Reaper is a DAW, an interface is what you plug your instruments/mics into to record directly into your computer :)

Blazerok

Reaction score
Reaper is your workstation, it is software only. You need to connect physically to your pc using usb/firewire. This is what an interface is for, and it isn't the same thing as a D.I. Box, wich just alter the analog signal.

Edit: ninja'd

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
Reaper is your workstation, it is software only. You need to connect physically to your pc using usb/firewire. This is what an interface is for, and it isn't the same thing as a D.I. Box, wich just alter the analog signal.

Edit: ninja'd

So then do I have to buy a Pod regardless then?

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i would personally get the pod. i tried a few different usb interface boxes and couldnt get away from latency and bad sound. pod is the usb interface and tone all in one. also comes with recording software and pod farm. i also use reaper.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Not necessarily a Pod. It could be any interface hardware, from the cheapest one-or-two channel input box like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000HVXM...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000HVXMNE to the biggest professional-quality 32-track interface ov d00m.

If you're going for software amp sims like LePou, you don't really need the functions of a Pod. Might be nice to have them, but that's a judgement you'd have to make for yourself.

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
Alright, so correct me if I'm wrong here, I just want to make sure I have a clear understanding. I just need an audio interface in order to use these amp simulators. The quality of the audio interface is not a massive factor since I'm going to use amp simulators anyways, and I don't need to buy software for the audio interface because I'm going to use Reaper already. All of that sound okay? Thank you again for the advice.

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
-Download Amp Simulators (I was thinking from LePou, specifically the LeGion one), and Amp Impulses (I was considering using Kefir to run the TSEx50 impulse, or maybe the TSEx30).

TSE x50 and x30 are both amp sims like Leigon. Impulses are .wav files!
The free impulses I use are in the impulse sticky, the catharis impulses and the Gods Cab impulse.

TSE's stuff as units are definantly awesome to use though! I recommend setting up a signal chain like this once you are all set up (all of these are free)

Guitar > Interface > Tse808 (distortion screamer) >TSE x 50 > le cab (any impulses that work for you as opinion differs here)

Hope this clears things up

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
Alright, so correct me if I'm wrong here, I just want to make sure I have a clear understanding. I just need an audio interface in order to use these amp simulators. The quality of the audio interface is not a massive factor since I'm going to use amp simulators anyways, and I don't need to buy software for the audio interface because I'm going to use Reaper already. All of that sound okay? Thank you again for the advice.

Well, you need an audio interface in order to plug your guitar and/or microphone in. I've heard of people doing it through the Aux of your computer but it will sound terrible. Maybe awful is another word. You don't wanna kill your budget but something along the POD Studio Ux1/Ux2 would be mediocre. The latency is minimal and the quality is some good standard, I'm using mine still after 2 years, though I'm now upgrading to the POD HD.

So basically. You need an interface to record your guitar. Reaper is just a workstation to record and mix your tracks.

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
Well, you need an audio interface in order to plug your guitar and/or microphone in. I've heard of people doing it through the Aux of your computer but it will sound terrible. Maybe awful is another word. You don't wanna kill your budget but something along the POD Studio Ux1/Ux2 would be mediocre. The latency is minimal and the quality is some good standard, I'm using mine still after 2 years, though I'm now upgrading to the POD HD.

So basically. You need an interface to record your guitar. Reaper is just a workstation to record and mix your tracks.

Okay. That definitely clears things up for me, and I think I understand everything I need to know now. I'll start looking for a budget interface to use. I'm considering either http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio...erface-105632467-i1474272.gc?&source=4WWRWXGB or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HVXMNE...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000HVXMNE right now, they seem to be what I'm looking for. Thank you again, you were a tremendous help.

manana

Reaction score
Saffire usb 6 Is what I have and its great. I used to use a podxt but it has this buzzing problem and the actually difference in quality of the raw DI sound is tremendous.

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
Saffire usb 6 Is what I have and its great. I used to use a podxt but it has this buzzing problem and the actually difference in quality of the raw DI sound is tremendous.

I checked out what you have on Amazon, it seems like a really good interface. Definitely something I'll consider, albeit a little pricey for me right now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
After looking around a bit, I'm having a bit of trouble finding a cab simulator that I can use on Mac. I wanted to use LeCab, but there isn't a plugin for Mac yet. Any suggestions?

')