I'm chasing education.

• Thread starter HeadwarP
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeadwarP

Reaction score
Ok. I'm not so much a beginner as an intermediate who wishes to master his instruments of choice - guitars -

Here's what might classify me as a beginner however - the only real training i have is youtube clips and a bassist who was close to achieving his bachelors in music who taught me a few scales, positions and disappeared shortly after.

Since then I've actually written pieces - nothing really too difficult to play but I at least appreciate the sounds.

But as stated earlier - I want to master my instrument and sound better than ok.

My education level = GED and some college in computer/business fields.

I can't read or write music fluently (althgouh some free lessons from Berklee's online directory are seeming to improve my habits at reading sheet music.

My situation - having no real musical education I would like to find a college and get a degree in jazz/classical guitar (jazz probably covers both). I am considering online courses for now to earn credits so I wont have to travel, and will have a more lenient schedule.

I'm 27 years old, just got a new 7 string after being tired of my 6 string that replaced a worn out LTD M-207. However now that I'm learning things that are noticably increasing my ability to play period, im finding as much joy in my 6 as my 7.

Anybody have experience with online courses from music schools offering degree's in guitar amongst production/composition courses? Will they let just anybody take them? Berklee states its credits will transfer over to other colleges for the online courses.

So far Berklee's sample material has been impressive. I could already play half the stuff and got the beginner material pretty easily. So starting off already being able to somewhat play is definately making this seem easier so far.

I know I could learn the same things from various websites/private lessons/certificates.

However, I only have a GED. I'm 27 years old and i'm past due for a college degree. And ever since I found I could create it music has been the love of my life and always will be.

Even though they offer career paths I'm not counting on this being a step towards a career, but alongside their guitar and music theory courses i'm planning on composition/production/recording classes.

Which is one step closer to a career surrounding one of the few things I turly love.

Think I stand a chance of a Berklee education?

Can anyone recommend a better or competitive school with online courses that will earn credits towards a degree? (even if physical attendance may be required at the school at a later date for courses offered only offline).

Am I too old to learn new tricks?

Any constructive critcism would be appreciated.

Berklee courses are in the budget (i really like the thought of berkley..kinda already have my hopes up. I'll find out Jan 4th. and they do have online courses for people who can't read or write music!)

Anyway I just feel like I HAVE to do this...I need this. Waiting much longer will just leave me that much further behind.

(edit)As it seems, Berklee College of Music is the only college level music education that can be found that offers online courses that will apply to credits towards a major.

So i can see why this thread got no replies.

Wish me luck. Having an accompleshment like even a bachelors in the field i truly love wll be a big positive in a life of many negatives. (end edit)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
Good luck man, it's a big undertaking, I wish you all the best! (And no, when it comes to music, even the older dogs learn new tricks :) )

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
good luck from here too man.
i'm very much in the same situation, except i'm 29.

i started a music degree but ended up getting an IT degree and i wish
i had stuck with my previous path. so here i am thinking of finishing my music degree.
although, being an old dog myself, i've decided to get a head start at 'the players school of music' since i live near by-- then after their 80 week program my sightreading and
playing should give me an advantage for when i go back to spc to try and plow through
my bachelors. depending on debt and circumstance, i may try for a masters..

this is how you know you've made the right choice: when you picture yourself
going back to school knowing you'll graduate in your mid 30's and not really freaking
out about your age cuz you'll love what you will be doing.

hope that all made sense.. it's not quite the answers you want but it is a bit of
encouragement....:yesway:

')