I'm considering a #4 Jim Root Orange. Am I making the right decision?

• Thread starter edlamb0306
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

edlamb0306

Reaction score
Hello, lovely people!

I have a Blackstar HT5R which I really like, but I don't think it's not going to be enough for rehearsals and gigs. I heard that the higher wattage HT series are a bit fizzy and they generally don't seem to be that well loved.
I'm looking for a tone that sounds thick, articulate, and slightly more vintage (I use that word fairly loosely) voiced, rather than a super dry and super tight modern metal type tone. Don't get me wrong, I love that sort of tone, but it's not really what I'm going for here. I'm not very good at describing tone, but you get the idea. An example of the sort of thing I'm going for would abe Kurt Ballou's tone, the guitarist from Converge.
I looked at the Laney IRT, but the Jim Root Orange seems to fit the bill a bit better.

Any opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
i love mine, i played it through a 210 and it was loud enough to jam with a drummer and through a 412 itll do shows. and it has some real kick ass tones, definitely thick

tupesaku

Reaction score
I tried one a few months ago and loved the distortion...actually one of the best crunchy distortions I´ve heard. Have to buy one at some point! Would be perfect for me if it would have a clean channel as well...

edlamb0306

Reaction score
Great stuff, guys! Thanks for the help. I think I'll go for it when I have the chance. :yesway:
Does anyone else have anything to add?

robotsatemygma

myspace.com/pygar1
Reaction score
You honestly cannot go wrong with Orange these days. The Class A circuitry and EL84's with the obscene amounts of gain are just something else! I've been using a DT30 for roughly 3 years now and absolutely love it!

Joomis

Reaction score
If there is a way to try one out I would do it. That way you can formulate your own decision based on what you tried out and not by others. However, I've heard nothing but good things about the Jim Root Orange amp.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
I think you'd be happy with the tone of the Root or Dark Terror. Not sure if the volume will fully cut it in a live/band situation. I've run my Dark Terror fully opened up through my Emperor 2x12 with Legends and it gets loud and punchy... not sure if it would cut through a LOUD drummer though in a live no-PA situation (probably OK for practice/rehearsal though). Maybe with a 4x12.

Anyone use their 15w Terrors live in metal situations?

Given To Fly

Reaction score
If you are torn between the Jim Root and the Dark Terror, I would recommend the Dark Terror. If you are torn between the Jim Root and any other "lunch box" amp with the exception of the Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier, I would recommend the Jim Root! :yesway:

rebornself27

Reaction score
I would say go for it but make sure its from a company with a good return policy so if you dont like it return and get refund and work your way down the amp Want list

')