Im doing a crazy amp shootout with Guitar Edge Magazine!

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
Hey guys, since we have a healthy collection of gear nerds around here i figured i would give you guys a little heads up about this amp shootout that im doing with Guitar Edge Magazine.
We have 13 amps here, and im running them through the channels on video dialed in as best as i can dial them, and for the dirty channels im also running ts9 on/off comparison.

Then we are doing a recording studio kinda thing where we will reamp the same riff with every amp so that we can get a really good set of comparison clips.

The amps we have are (in no particular order)
Engl Powerball II
Peavey 6534+
Fryette CLX Masterbuilt
Soldano Avenger
Randall RT100
Diezel VH4
Mesa Dual Rectifier (New version)
Framus Cobra
Hughes and Kettner Coreblade
Blackstar Series One 200
Krank Nineteen 80
Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII
Diamond Nitrox

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't wait for this. I'm so tired of hearing non-metalheads dialing in "metal" tones on amps :lol:

I'm pumped to hear the 6534+ dialed in right, too.

Thanks for the heads-up man :yesway:

Zehailiu

Reaction score
I actually think that won't tell us all to much about the amps because if Bulb is dialing them in they're all gonna sound pretty awesome. I mean FFS he made his pod XT sound amazing.

bulb

Reaction score
I actually think that won't tell us all to much about the amps because if Bulb is dialing them in they're all gonna sound pretty awesome. I mean FFS he made his pod XT sound amazing.

Haha dude, you are overestimating my abilities, some of these amps are pretty terrible, some of them are phenomenal though!
The magazine is going to be objective about the amps and leave the verdict up to the audience, but i have definitely formed my own opinions on these amps so far!

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
I can't wait for this. I'm so tired of hearing non-metalheads dialing in "metal" tones on amps :lol:

I'm pumped to hear the 6534+ dialed in right, too.

Thanks for the heads-up man :yesway:

I don't know which is worse in amp demos. Non-metalheads dialing in amps, or old-school burnt out metal heads that just scoop the crap out of things and use too much gain.

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know which is worse in amp demos. Non-metalheads dialing in amps, or old-school burnt out metal heads that just scoop the crap out of things and use too much gain.
I would rather see burnt-out metalheads demo amps than newschool metalcore dorks. :rocker:

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing the Mesa, Blackstar, Orange, and Diamond!

If the "old-school burnt out metal heads that just scoop the crap out of things and use too much gain" decide to hack away at Slayer riffs, then there's no problem determining which is worse.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score

The worst is whoever does the demo using such obviously metal guitars as a Clapton strat...:wallbash:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score

Srsly :yesway:

Its been hell trying to get a decent review of amps online because contrary to the antiwagon-wagoners on this forum there is almost no one dialing in a "djent" tone anywhere in reviews. And for someone like myself who goes for more of that type of tone its impossible to find any demos for gear.

Hell I'd be happy if people put in a pretty balanced just properly dialed in tone... anything but that sky-high gain, scooped mids stuff.

Necromechanical

I am a machine
Reaction score
Awesome! Glad to hear your getting some of the attention you deserve dude! Do you know what month issue this will be featured in?

Necky379

Reaction score
im interested in hearing that new krank.

this is going to sound like im bitching (not intentional, this is an awesome shootout with somebody that can actually dial/play) but i wish there were some older "go to" amps in there just to compare the new ones to side by side. ie 6505, jcm800, slo. i realize that these old amps have been demo'd to death already though.

anyway thanks for the work!

bulb

Reaction score
im interested in hearing that new krank.

this is going to sound like im bitching (not intentional, this is an awesome shootout with somebody that can actually dial/play) but i wish there were some older "go to" amps in there just to compare the new ones to side by side. ie 6505, jcm800, slo. i realize that these old amps have been demo'd to death already though.

anyway thanks for the work!

Well Guitar Edge tried to get an 800 from marshall, but they gave them the runaround and then never sent anything. The avenger is the SLO lead channel and sounds phenomenal. And the 6534 is the 6505 but better haha!

')