Im doing a crazy amp shootout with Guitar Edge Magazine!

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
I mean, for the rest of us, so we can get a full sound test of the amp :lol:

Ah understood, i already tracked the amps with them set as best as i could make them sound, it could be interesting to hear the amps with settings at noon, and since its just reamping it would really be up to the magazine if that is something they would want to include, but ill be sure to at least suggest it to them as i woudnt need to be there for that to happen!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rashputin

Reaction score
worry not, i picked a few things to reamp that would showcase the various sonic abilities and the full range of sounds of the amp:

For the clean i played a section of Epic Fail, because that seemed to really demonstrate the chime of the amp and i picked a little harder during a certain part to make it break up a bit so you could hear how that would sound

Then i did a very chord rich section of Not Enough Mana to demonstrate how well those would ring out

Then i did a section of Racecar that is low tuned but also has some chords and a low string squeal and this was with a tubescreamer to demonstrate the agressiveness and clarity of the amp

Then i did a riff from one of my mixtests which is in Ab tuning as well as some open power chords with chunk and djenty technique so you can hear both the purr and the djent of the amp. This also has a tubescreamer on it.

Finally i played the Jetpacks Was Yes! solo on the lead channel of the amp with no tubescreamer so you can hear the raw lead sound of the amp.

If the amp had any built in effects, and i felt that it enhanced the clip, i used them in the appropriate clip, but we are not using post effects on these clips.

Can't wait to hear it. I've always been a big fan of your tone, and you seem to have a great understanding of how to achieve it through different types of gear. Whenever I hear other peoples tone, there is usually something I don't like about it, but your stuff always sound great. Even your Pod demos from back in the day sound better than a lot of new albums that are out now imo. Its hard to make distortion/overdrive tones organic and "your own" while not sounding like every other generic guitar-fapper out there : )

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
the 6534 is a warmer 6505, but still very similar (which is a good thing imo) the biggest difference is that the clean channel is REALLY improved, its not amazing, but its definitely very usable unlike the 6505

I found it was kind of grindier rather than warmer necessarily. I agree it's less fizzy, and the 6l6 heads have a very particular mid frequency that always seems to be present and the 34 was way more flexible in the mid range.
Do you agree with that? I'm interested to hear someone else's opinion on this, I'm the only person I know who's tried one - people I know seem to be raving about it :-S. I did see the mid area as being the main area of improvement and the cleans are definitely way better.

Cool project :yesway:

joshc482

Reaction score
hmmmm sounds like the peavey 6534+ will be the "tied me over until i get a really high end head". but i want to send it to voodoo mods and have it modded

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
hmmmm sounds like the peavey 6534+ will be the "tied me over until i get a really high end head". but i want to send it to voodoo mods and have it modded

I definitely recommend that. I had them to a platinum mod to a 6505+ a few years ago. They do incredible work.

Reaction score
hahaha thats cuz 5150s are one of those rare amps that are very hard to make sound bad, short of putting the presence on 8-10 they will sound awesome with just about any setting since the eq really doesnt do that much on them compared to other amps.

5150s are indeed super easy to dial in, but I'm pretty sure most people are keeping their presence at about 8. The presence knob really doesn't do much until about there. 8 is a good setting... plenty of cut without being too harsh.

Haven't played a 6534+ yet... I've heard it's similar to the 5150 II/6505+ only with grittier mids (due to el34 instead of 6l6), and I've always thought the 5150/6505 sounded better than the II/+ version... so, I'm not sure how much I'd like it...

Anyways, so what cab were all these amps going through? I think a few people have already asked that. The cab obviously makes a huge difference.

Also curious what gear the DI was recorded with and what gear is being used for reamping? di box, preamp, converters, reamp box...

')