Im doing a crazy amp shootout with Guitar Edge Magazine!

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necky379

Reaction score
And the 6534 is the 6505 but better haha!

really in what way? you've now got me interested in hearing the 6534 :lol: too bad none of the stores around here have one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I'm definitely excited that someone with a good ear for tone and excellent chops is going to demo the 6534+. Any idea what cab(s) you're gonna try to use?

bulb

Reaction score
the 6534 is a warmer 6505, but still very similar (which is a good thing imo) the biggest difference is that the clean channel is REALLY improved, its not amazing, but its definitely very usable unlike the 6505

yacker

Reaction score
This was touched on a few posts up, but are all of these going to be played through their respective matched cabs, or through one particular cab or...............:scratch::shrug:

Zehailiu

Reaction score
Haha dude, you are overestimating my abilities, some of these amps are pretty terrible, some of them are phenomenal though!
The magazine is going to be objective about the amps and leave the verdict up to the audience, but i have definitely formed my own opinions on these amps so far!

Well spill the beans!
Your opinions > clips, after all this IS the bulb/periphery fanclub.
:lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Well Guitar Edge tried to get an 800 from marshall, but they gave them the runaround and then never sent anything. The avenger is the SLO lead channel and sounds phenomenal. And the 6534 is the 6505 but better haha!

Yeah, I tried a 6534+ in store at a decent volume and I think I'm right: EL34's simply kick ass :metal:

Reaction score
I'm curious to see what people think of the CLX Masterbuilt. It's definitely one of the best amps I've ever owned! It seems the UL had more success but the CLX has way better tone imo.

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
The worst is whoever does the demo using such obviously metal guitars as a Clapton strat...:wallbash:

:lol: SERIOUSLY! I don't want to hear some AARP member playing single coils through a dimed 6505. Oh, and another thing... playing some bluesy lick really fast with lots of distortion is NOT the same thing as metal. I'm looking at you guy from guitar world videos :squint:

bulb

Reaction score
I'm curious to see what people think of the CLX Masterbuilt. It's definitely one of the best amps I've ever owned! It seems the UL had more success but the CLX has way better tone imo.
Its a good amp for sure, much better than the UL in my opinion. But i had requested it because i used to own (until very recently) a no eq clx combo which was one of the best amps i have ever played, and i was hoping that this one would have sounded the same.
It was different though and the eq reacted differently which leads me to believe there have been some updates and changes made to that amp in the last 10 years which have made it less good (in my opinion of course)
But its still a great amp, and if you have the money and are into the current UL sound id say definitely get a CLX instead!

bulb

Reaction score
:lol: SERIOUSLY! I don't want to hear some AARP member playing single coils through a dimed 6505. Oh, and another thing... playing some bluesy lick really fast with lots of distortion is NOT the same thing as metal. I'm looking at you guy from guitar world videos :squint:

worry not, i picked a few things to reamp that would showcase the various sonic abilities and the full range of sounds of the amp:

For the clean i played a section of Epic Fail, because that seemed to really demonstrate the chime of the amp and i picked a little harder during a certain part to make it break up a bit so you could hear how that would sound

Then i did a very chord rich section of Not Enough Mana to demonstrate how well those would ring out

Then i did a section of Racecar that is low tuned but also has some chords and a low string squeal and this was with a tubescreamer to demonstrate the agressiveness and clarity of the amp

Then i did a riff from one of my mixtests which is in Ab tuning as well as some open power chords with chunk and djenty technique so you can hear both the purr and the djent of the amp. This also has a tubescreamer on it.

Finally i played the Jetpacks Was Yes! solo on the lead channel of the amp with no tubescreamer so you can hear the raw lead sound of the amp.

If the amp had any built in effects, and i felt that it enhanced the clip, i used them in the appropriate clip, but we are not using post effects on these clips.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
worry not, i picked a few things to reamp that would showcase the various sonic abilities and the full range of sounds of the amp:

For the clean i played a section of Epic Fail, because that seemed to really demonstrate the chime of the amp and i picked a little harder during a certain part to make it break up a bit so you could hear how that would sound

Then i did a very chord rich section of Not Enough Mana to demonstrate how well those would ring out

Then i did a section of Racecar that is low tuned but also has some chords and a low string squeal and this was with a tubescreamer to demonstrate the agressiveness and clarity of the amp

Then i did a riff from one of my mixtests which is in Ab tuning as well as some open power chords with chunk and djenty technique so you can hear both the purr and the djent of the amp. This also has a tubescreamer on it.

Finally i played the Jetpacks Was Yes! solo on the lead channel of the amp with no tubescreamer so you can hear the raw lead sound of the amp.

If the amp had any built in effects, and i felt that it enhanced the clip, i used them in the appropriate clip, but we are not using post effects on these clips.

:yesway: Can't wait to hear it, man.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
Misha, were you dialing them in to sound roughly similar with the same piece of gear, or were there certain characteristics you were trying to bring out in different amps?

this is what i never get when comparing amps, I can usually Get most amps to sound pretty much the same (aside from the obvious differences, or maybe my ears just suck for that sorta thing), but i mean, i can dial them in so that with the same guitar they all have a similar type of sound, and identify which i like the best. it's kinda what got me settled on loving Peavey amps so much.

was that kinda the game plan here?

bulb

Reaction score
Misha, were you dialing them in to sound roughly similar with the same piece of gear, or were there certain characteristics you were trying to bring out in different amps?

this is what i never get when comparing amps, I can usually Get most amps to sound pretty much the same (aside from the obvious differences, or maybe my ears just suck for that sorta thing), but i mean, i can dial them in so that with the same guitar they all have a similar type of sound, and identify which i like the best. it's kinda what got me settled on loving Peavey amps so much.

was that kinda the game plan here?

The idea i was going in was reading what kind of sound the amp was trying to do and build it from there. These amps all sound so different it would have been a waste of time trying to dial them in the same, especially since im playing the amps, my technique and playing style would be the control in the test.

The idea was to just get the amps dialed in as best as i could get them, to my ears at least. But since the amps were so different in so many different ways, it was really about finding each amps personal sweetspot, which is different across the board.

Hope that makes sense.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
made enough that i got what you're trying to say.

I seem to have an issue with that, I've only have one amp really "Speak" to me and kinda guide my tweaking where it wanted to go, and that was this ancient 5150 that i played.

i suck with just about everything else, and they tend to sound like ass whenever i try to tighten up the low end or anything, it just shits the bed on me, lol

but yeah man, can't wait to check it out.

bulb

Reaction score
made enough that i got what you're trying to say.

I seem to have an issue with that, I've only have one amp really "Speak" to me and kinda guide my tweaking where it wanted to go, and that was this ancient 5150 that i played.

i suck with just about everything else, and they tend to sound like ass whenever i try to tighten up the low end or anything, it just shits the bed on me, lol

but yeah man, can't wait to check it out.

hahaha thats cuz 5150s are one of those rare amps that are very hard to make sound bad, short of putting the presence on 8-10 they will sound awesome with just about any setting since the eq really doesnt do that much on them compared to other amps.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Im not one for settings so much as just listening and tweaking appropriately, but thats just me!

I mean, for the rest of us, so we can get a full sound test of the amp :lol:

')