I'm getting bored...

• Thread starter vicpic777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vicpic777

Reaction score
Hey
I'm getting more into cars and fitness and I got a new job :hbang: but here is the problem, these two new passion and job have taken me away from my long time PASSION music. I'm playing guitar since I'm 9 yo and I'm now 18. I don't feel the same passion... I think it's a very big problem i don't want to drop music but my job and my new passions are taking me to this dirrection...
So I thought that maybe if I change my set-up, maybe I'll keep investing myself into music like before
here what I was thinking: building a new rig
I'll buy a pod hd pro plus a power amp plus a new cab, really basic but I think I'll do the job !
If it already happened to some of you, what have you done to keep your passion on track?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
I've been playing for close to 17 years now. If I look back across those years there has always been some ebb and flow concerning how "involved" I am with music. I would say don't force it. If you take some time off, you will know when it's time to come back. Buying new gear may excite you temporarily but I doubt it will be enough inspiration to regain priority over your other new hobbies.

Gryphon

Reaction score
I just take a break and try to listen to new guitarists/musicians until the desire comes back. Every time I've tried to force it, I've always ended up hating the guitar.

vicpic777

Reaction score
I just take a break and try to listen to new guitarists/musicians until the desire comes back. Every time I've tried to force it, I've always ended up hating the guitar.

That's almost where I am right now...

JamesTSi

Reaction score
I have been playing since I was 9 years old, I'm 26 now. For quite a few years my work, school, cars, baseball and everything else besides playing took over my life, and I didn't play guitar for quite a while. Probably 5-6 years. Then it struck me again about 4 years ago and I have been playing ever since. If it's really a passion of yours, you'll pick it back up again when the time is right

vicpic777

Reaction score
I have been playing since I was 9 years old, I'm 26 now. For quite a few years my work, school, cars, baseball and everything else besides playing took over my life, and I didn't play guitar for quite a while. Probably 5-6 years. Then it struck me again about 4 years ago and I have been playing ever since. If it's really a passion of yours, you'll pick it back up again when the time is right

Well I feel that if I quit music for a while I'll never realize my dream wich is to start a music project(one man band)

JamesTSi

Reaction score
Well I feel that if I quit music for a while I'll never realize my dream wich is to start a music project(one man band)

Honestly forcing it won't make you want to continue. It'll turn from a hobby and passion into a chore and work. Once it's no longer fun, you won't enjoy it

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I've known people who were driven to do what they loved, and they did it with whatever equipment they could get their hands on. They didn't need to buy a special rig, or whatever.

I've known people who bought all kinds of gear because they had a fantasy that owning the gear would lead to them pursuing their fantasy. It was always about buying the thing which might motivate them.

Given those two examples, if you're not feeling it, then don't buy anything. If you have crappy equipment but are still driven to create, that's one thing... but if you find you're not creating, then you can't force it.

vicpic777

Reaction score
I've known people who were driven to do what they loved, and they did it with whatever equipment they could get their hands on. They didn't need to buy a special rig, or whatever.

I've known people who bought all kinds of gear because they had a fantasy that owning the gear would lead to them pursuing their fantasy. It was always about buying the thing which might motivate them.

Given those two examples, if you're not feeling it, then don't buy anything. If you have crappy equipment but are still driven to create, that's one thing... but if you find you're not creating, then you can't force it.

I'm creating but the owl thing is that now that I have a job, I can spend money and get better stuff, learning and creating is not a problem!

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
If you aren't feeling guitar at the moment, don't go and spend hard-earned money on a rig that you won't be utilizing. Those three items you mentioned will easily be over a grand. Do you really want to throw the kind of money at something that you're not passionate about?

Like others have already said, don't sweat it if you're not as excited about music as you were before. I realize it sometimes feels like you're betraying your past self when you're in this situation, but you're alive now and you gotta do what's right for you. Don't go all out and buy a new rig, that should be done when you're on the onset of jizzing everywhere from musical excitement. Material possessions may be appealing, but if you're not truly into playing guitar right now, they'll be useless.

vicpic777

Reaction score
I know I understand but what I'm trying to say is that I'll buy a new rig by the end of the summer so I have some time to question myself to see if it's really a good choice or not... I don't know why but I think that if I buy a new rig it'll bring back the ''flame'' for music, maybe it only a mirage...

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
I know I understand but what I'm trying to say is that I'll buy a new rig by the end of the summer so I have some time to question myself to see if it's really a good choice or not... I don't know why but I think that if I buy a new rig it'll bring back the ''flame'' for music, maybe it only a mirage...

Buying the new rig might be a "quick fix" and not really help in the long run. As other posters have said and through my experience we musician types get a bit stale once in a while so putting music on the backburner for a bit is not necessarily a bad thing. New experiences can give us perspective and new fuel for creating music. Music has to be fun. If it ain't fun then its work.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
You are not alone. It happens. There's nothing wrong with setting it aside for a while and coming back.

You'll lose some of your chops, but they will come back fast once your heart is back in it.

wakjob

Reaction score
You are not alone. It happens. There's nothing wrong with setting it aside for a while and coming back.

You'll lose some of your chops, but they will come back fast once your heart is back in it.

+1 on the chops thing.

I played nothing but acoustic guitar for three years or so, and not often.

When it came time to get back to playing rock/metal electric guitar, it was a chore. I was bending the strings way out of tune because of my hand strength. And I had completely forgot how to 'play the amp', as it is another instrument. Overdrive/distortion was all but alien to my fingers and ears.

Joeseffel

7String Newbie
Reaction score

I get the impression you want this new rig and will buy it regardless of advice here, every time someone who has been in your position advises you against it you just make an excuse to buy the rig anyway.

That said, try listening to genres you've never really touched on before, and maybe you'll find something you like, as well as diversifying yourself as a player.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
What is it that is stale? Are you not successful in your writing? Do you not want to write? Are you bored of playing?

Lagtastic

Five Align
Reaction score
I took a break around that age too. Eventually you stop caring about getting hammered 4 times a week and screwing anything with tits and a pulse. You'll come back to it. :yesway:

I normally tell people to get 2-3 Stevie Ray Vaughan CDs to realize there are virtuoso level players in other genres that can amaze you with a simple 6 note scale.

Beach

Reaction score
Ask yourself what your goal is music-wise,then make an informed decision as to how much dedication is needed to fulfil those goals. There's no pressure so don't force it. Usually,listening to new artists gets my ass into gear.

Aftermath1

Reaction score
As others said, don't buy new gear if you aren't interested lately. You will just be happy for a short period and will have wasted funds that could of been used for your new interests. I've bought things in hope of rejuvenating my guitar playing which turned out to be a pointless idea as nothing changed.

Just keep what you have and use the cash towards the cars if that's your new passion.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
You don't have to play guitar... it's not for everyone. There's other hobbies out there.

I took a break for 8 years and just started playing again... because I missed it. But if I didn't, then where's the harm?

tl;dr Absence does make the heart grow fonder... sometimes. Other times, you just end up getting divorced and marrying the 90 lbs 20 year old Japanese nanny with Ds. You know, whatever works...

')