I'm looking at picking up a 5'er.

• Thread starter Blackbog3
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blackbog3

Reaction score
Hi, I'm taking over the bass role in my band, and currently have a cheap 4 string on loan tuned BEAD to accommodate. I'm looking under 1k and have pretty much narrowed down in the new market to these 3,

Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$ 5-String Electric Bass Natural Satin | Musician's Friend

Spector Legend Classic 5-String Bass | Musician's Friend

Ibanez BTB675 BTB 5-String Electric Bass Guitar Natural Flat | Musician's Friend

In terms of not playing any of them, my preference lies with the Warwick, because of the mm style pickups and overall aesthetics.
But the reviews I find on the Rock Bass series are mixed and confusing.

I'm hoping someone may have experience with any of these 3 if not all 3 models that could give me a little guidance on which way to lean.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
I had 2 different made in Germany Warwick $$ and loved them. Haven't found a rockbass I've liked yet. I am digging my new Yamaha TRBX305 as well... $400 and a good variety of tones from the 5 way selector. I'm a big BTB fan, I just don't like the wide string spacing on them.

Blackbog3

Reaction score
I had 2 different made in Germany Warwick $$ and loved them. Haven't found a rockbass I've liked yet. I am digging my new Yamaha TRBX305 as well... $400 and a good variety of tones from the 5 way selector. I'm a big BTB fan, I just don't like the wide string spacing on them.

I really dig the I don't know how to describe it... "spanky grindy" sound that the mm style pups give. I notice the Yamaha has Humbuckers, is it a similar tonality?

If i could find a German $$ under 1k, I'd probably without a doubt just buy one of those.

Oh, and the Rockbasses you tried, were they the recent "W" logo ones?

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
Talkbass forums usually has the German ones around 1000. They don't seem to hold value well for some reason. Don't remember what logo on the Rockbasses. It was a while back.

TheEmptyCell

Dingwall Player
Reaction score
Hold out until you can find a used Dingwall Combustion. They sell for under $1000 all day long used. Cruise Talkbass and have patience! Used is always the way to go IMO.

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
seconding the used suggestion. You can get a euro spector rebop under 1k, huge improvement over the legend you listed.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
In a side note, I do like this TRBX305, but I think I'd like a 5 PBass better... They just didn't have any in stock when I ordered.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I have a friend whose cousin works for Specter and they just endorsed another good friend of mine. He just got his first bass from them not too long ago and it's a very well crafted instrument. Plays like a dream.

Warwick basses that I've played have had very chunky necks and couldn't quite get a good array of tones with without a little bit of help from a boost pedal.

I want to try a BTB one day, they look very nice..

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
If you're wanting it for tuning down, then the Warwick might be the worst choice of the three, since it's 34" while the Spector and BTB are 35". You can always just fiddle with string gauges, of course, and countless people over the years have been perfectly happy with 34" 5 strings, but it's something to keep in mind.

I've got a BTB5 here, and while I do like the tension on the low B more than on the Rock Bass Corvette 5 and MiM Fender Jazz 5 I have back home, I think it's a touch more uncomfortable to play. Then again, I have tiny lady hands, so your experience may vary :lol:.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
While the warwick is 34" I still think it out performs the other two basses for metal and down tunings they sound nasty and Growly so it gets my vote just get some Kalium strings for it

guitaardvark

Reaction score
I'm gonna piggyback on this discussion as I'm also looking for a 5'er, but is there an Agile-equivalent for basses? Like a lesser-known brand that still gives great value for bottom dollar.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
The Agile-equivalent for bass is Brice, as in that's the top-tier bass line that Rondo sells.

Blackbog3

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for all the response.

It's not going to leave standard BEADG tuning, so I'm not concerned with tuning lower, I currently am using a pbass knock off with a 5 string set tuned BEAD, and the B sounds god awful.
I like to switch between a clanky treble tone to a more full vintage sound so that is a necessity for me. I play with a pick and with 2 fingers depending on the part, I don't and probably won't need to slap.

As of right now a bass amp is in the air, we have a pa with subs that I'm running through now, and am looking at getting a sans amp or other pedal to run into it, really liking what I hear from the vt bass.

I like warwick tone in general, I like that snarl and grind. I also like jazz basses but not a big fan aesthetically.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
A bassist I used to jam with ran a Sans Amp pedal with his double-buck Warwick and it slayed

')