I'm looking for feedback on a heavy alternative project!!

The Distortionist

Reaction score
I've recently began recording and mixing down my band's first album. We are going for a rather heavy, alternative/indie sound but with a more modern twist. A friend of mine sent me a home recording of himself singing over one of the tracks I wrote, and I decided to have him over and re-record him myself. This was born..

Justin Spaulding - Sustainability - SoundCloud

Everything heard in this recording (except the vocals, and the bass is sequenced Scarbee) was played and produced by myself. I would appreciate any feedback/mixing advice that anyone has to offer!

On another note, I've always wondered what other people's take on EQing was. Does anyone else out there use multiple EQ's for a single instrument? What about really dramatic Equalizing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Violence

Reaction score
I've played with both of these dudes and they are huge talents. I think the song is pretty badass.

I think the mixing is great. As always, I think distorted guitar tone just sounds a little stuffy. Other than that, your mixes just keep getting bigger and bigger. Which is a good thing to me.

quasarwaves

Gates Of Winter
Reaction score
your singer fits the bill perfectly. increase his salary haha.

mix is good overall.the synthy bits dont really jive in my ears but i love the rest!

dudeskin

Reaction score
sounds very good, nice and big.
singer is good, good voice.
only thing i dont like is that the hi hat as abit high in the mix for me. cant take my attension away from it.
but apart from that, id buy it.

Reaction score
Pretty sweet song dude.!. I like the vox. They dont sound like your average singer. I could picture this on the radio. Also the hi hats sound really good to me . Experimental sounds at the end always a plus... Keep up the good work>!.

JOhn S.

The Distortionist

Reaction score
I just uploaded a newer version of the mix. Fixed the snare sound and the guitars a bit. I'm really looking forward to some seriously critical mixing advice!!

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
Nice one, dude. My compliments for a very good song.

Now, these are just my thoughts:

1. I think that the overall mix is too loud. At 0:28 you can hear how it gets compressed for a moment, or it might just be me.
2. From 1:56 to 2:29 you could make the lead guitar switch from one speaker to the other and back and so on.

Other than that i really hear nothing to amend here. Very nice song and great job except for the name :D

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
This shit is fucking great man! The production is really really good.

I'll have to go with arktan. The clip is really loud, give the sounds some naturality!

Other vice... I'm stunned. This is just plain awesome.

The Distortionist

Reaction score
It makes me incredibly happy to know that people like my stuff. I can't thank you guys enough for your kind compliments. After hearing the Periphery album and listening to how loud, yet, GOOD it sounded, it inspired me to go for a really loud and thick sound. I may have overdone it a bit though haha, it's not metal after all.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
You have a good reason to be proud. A thought I had now that the dist guitars may be a bit too loud on the upper-mids, don't you think? They sound like they are shouting themselves out. Scoop from a sweet spot with a big Q-ratio and I think it'll nail it.

They might also be a little too loud, but hey, it's just an opinion! :)

Still stunned for the mix and song, though!

The Distortionist

Reaction score
I actually had that exact shape somewhere around the upper mids and i felt like it took away too much presence. I was most likely cutting too high up thought. I'll definitely take everything you guys have said into consideration for the newest mix. Oh yeah, and I just realized that I stated in the original post that everything was played by myself, and that was a lie. The only thing I actually played was the guitar haha. The drums are sequenced using Addictive Drums and the bass is Scarbee Jay Bass.

')