I'm looking into getting a midi/synth pickup for my guitar. Advice?

• Thread starter Riffer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
I'm in a cover band and we don't have a keyboardist. That can be difficult sometimes when trying to learn and play newer pop songs since they are almost 100% synth or some type of piano/keyboard/sample mixed. We get by right now without it and just play the parts on guitar with some delay/reverb/flanger/chorus whatever we need to make it sound more synthy. I was looking into getting a midi/synth system for my guitar but have no clue how to go about getting one and what else I would need. I just want something where I could basically make my guitar sound like any instrument I wanted. Piano, organ, violin, synth, anything. I want to fill our sound out and I think it would be a good investment in the cover band since we could cover more songs and get more gigs if we can play a huge variety of material in diffferent genres.

So my question is what exactly would I need to make this happen? Pickup, cables, amp, floor controller? Thanks in advance guys! :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I don't want to give any advice in regards to what to hook a midi guitar system up to (hardware vs software, blah blah blah) but I will say that I've used 2 different MIDI pickup systems extensively: The Roland GK-3, and the GraphTech Ghost system.

For whatever my opinion/experience is worth, the GraphTech system blows the Roland completely out of orbit, in terms of tracking accuracy and/or latency.

Basically, you'll need the following:
1. A MIDI pickup system
2. A unit to convert the data from the pickup (I'm currently using a Roland GI-20, which leaves a fair amount to be desired..)
3. A unit (or units) to produce the sound, such as a synthesizer, or computer with some kind of synth software
4. Potentially a separate amplification system, as most folks would advise against trying to push any non-guitar signals through a guitar amplifier/cabinet. I use a powered PA system for my synth stuff (JBL Eon).

I know it's not much, but I hope this at least gives you a place to start. :yesway:

PS - Be prepared to re-learn how to play all over again. Using a guitar to trigger non-guitar sounds often times requires completely different techniques.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that Axxon is another company making midi pickups/conversion boxes. Haven't tried them personally, but have heard good things.

AXON News :: AXON ::

jeb

Reaction score
+10000000 on the graphtech!

I have a ghost system that I use from the piezo sound... I can't wait to get the money to add the midi expender!!

I really think that the graphtech system is the most solid system out there!

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
Cool guys thanks for all the info. I am a complete noob when it comes to this snyth and midi stuff. I'm just trying to feel out how much would be involved and what I need to get things rolling.

')