I'm probably making quite a failure out of myself here, but...

• Thread starter Skyblue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skyblue

Reaction score
Ok, so after quite a lot of lurking around this lovely forum, I've come to a conclusion.

I WANT A SEVEN >:eek:

My main issue though, is that I'm a great Jazz lover. and from what I've seen, 7's, around here anyway, are mostly being used for metal (which is awesome as well, don't get me wrong :metal: )
You could say, of course "But Skyblue, why bother? you could just use your 6 for jazzing, and your awesome 7 for those brutal metal riffs!"
Basically, you could be right. but, second, I might need to sell my 6 in order to fund my 7. sad, I know, but that's life~ fourth, well, my 6 isn't that good by itself :lol: so a 7 that could cover both Jazz and metal would probably be best.

I'm not talking about hollowbody guitar for Jazz though- basically, a guitar I could get a good, warm clean sound out of it, while also being able to metal~ (yes, that IS a verb)
I'm no big understander in specs or anything, or modifying, so no use in asking me which pickups I prefer, or neck-through or bolt on... I used to just go into the store, check the guitars within my price range and pick my favorite sound and shape like. so I'm kinda new to all this x:

So yeah, that's pretty much it, short story long.

And now just another small question- I've tried checking the current price of the EBMM JP7, but couldn't find it >.> I'm not talking about the BFR model, since those probably cost more (right) unless, of course, the Normal model is sucky and in which case I'll just have to work more, lol.

Any help is appreciated! actually, you have my thanks even if you read the whole thing :lol:

EDIT: After some thought I realized I'd also be interested to know which guitars have a good clean sound to work with- and not necessarily a Jazzy sound- I'll compare everything in the end and then decide :]

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skyblue

Reaction score
That's weird, the EBMM site shows it has a matching headstock.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's weird, the EBMM site shows it has a matching headstock.

They're available with several options, such as matching headstock, Piezo bridge, JP inlays, and certain colors.

The one in that link is a very stripped down one without all the extra goodies, which besides the Piezo, are just aesthetic.

If you want some info on the prices of JP7's go to www.basscentral.com, I know it's primarily a bass oriented site but they're really close to EBMM, as the owner of the store Dave LaRue is an EBMM endorsee. They have more JP7's instock than anyone else, by far.

walleye

Reaction score
ill strongly disagree that the regular JP7s being good for jazz... theyre not
the piezo bridge might be quiet nice for jazz.. but im assuming thats not what you had in mind

however the JPX7 that should be out soon.. thats something different. it has a semi chambered body which drastically changes the way the guitar plays. that might be closer to the mark

another try would be the 2009 diablo framus... the 2010 model..less so. the 2009 one has single coils neck and middle

matt raines makes actual hollowbody jazz style 7s if that interest you

snuif09

Reaction score
you can just change the neck pickup to a jazz pickup since i mostly use my neck pickup for jazz and the bridge for metal

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
i traded and got 2 guitars from a friend of mine and bought him an eastman er7. he is into the most brutal metal stuff but did go to school for jazz. he has had numerous 7's incl. an ibanez uv777. hes got some steve vai jem 7 now.

hes had it about two weeks and swears by it. said he would buy another in a heartbeat. im not into the whole jazz look but after playing and inspecting it - 5 stars! ive seen several quotes where people say no gibson could touch them.

my friend would agree & and hes worked at a guitar shop for several years and been to many shows too.

anyway, hope it helps

Skyblue

Reaction score
i traded and got 2 guitars from a friend of mine and bought him an eastman er7. he is into the most brutal metal stuff but did go to school for jazz. he has had numerous 7's incl. an ibanez uv777. hes got some steve vai jem 7 now.

hes had it about two weeks and swears by it. said he would buy another in a heartbeat. im not into the whole jazz look but after playing and inspecting it - 5 stars! ive seen several quotes where people say no gibson could touch them.

my friend would agree & and hes worked at a guitar shop for several years and been to many shows too.

anyway, hope it helps
sorry but I'm slightly confused... are you recommending the Eastman or the JEM 7? >_<

ill strongly disagree that the regular JP7s being good for jazz... theyre not
the piezo bridge might be quiet nice for jazz.. but im assuming thats not what you had in mind

however the JPX7 that should be out soon.. thats something different. it has a semi chambered body which drastically changes the way the guitar plays. that might be closer to the mark

another try would be the 2009 diablo framus... the 2010 model..less so. the 2009 one has single coils neck and middle

matt raines makes actual hollowbody jazz style 7s if that interest you
Well, I was just asking about it since it was always a kind of dream guitar for me =P so it was more out of general knowledge, if I could afford it I might buy it regardless to looking for a versatile guitar :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the answers guys! I'd still be happy to get some more recommendations for other guitars :)
In general I'd be happy to know which guitars have a good clean sound to work with- and not necessarily a Jazzy sound.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The thing is, jazz tones will be dependent on your amp as well as your guitar/pickup choice. I am willing to bet that at least 50% of production 7-string guitars will get you jazz tones with the proper clean channel and perhaps the tone knob rolled back a bit.

First, you need to figure out your neck preference. Do you prefer LTD, EBMM, Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter or Agile necks the most? Out of all those, it would be hardest to try out an Agile 7 unless someone near you owns one (and I'm guessing that's not very likely). From there, it's simply a task of figuring out which model from that brand would probably be best for you.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Honestly, almost all guitars are suited for all music styles depending on the pups you put in to it (That said a hollow body with seymour duncan invaders would probably not turn out too well).

Personally, I prefer humbuckers for whatever style of music I play due to the fatter tone. If you get a trebly ish (neck)humbucker and roll back the tone, coupled with a warm body wood you can get some nice jazzy sounds.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I can't think of any solid body 7 that cannot be used for Jazz, something with EMGs or SD Blackouts would not be ideal though, and you'd look a plank playing jazz on the more metal shapes, but any Ibanez or EBMM JP would be great for electric jazz. I play fusion more than anything else on my K-7!

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
my j custom is really great for warm cleans as well as metal. also i had the old model with the edge pro so i installed piezos into it as well. i don't think this is possible with the new trem without milling. if you want piezos i guess go for the petrucci. i'm sure an rg2027 should be nice and warm too with the mahogany body and tone knob rolled down etc (has piezos)

RG8527Z_BX_00_01.gif

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
I've owned an RG7620 for the past 3 years and It does Jazz, totally. Splittable pickups take the win.

Although I haven't got it to produce a perfect jazz tone, the stock pickup in the neck position of the 7620 does a pretty decent job I find. I've used it live for a jazz duet and it was pretty nice.

I would think that having heavier strings would help a lot in this case, as I've found it difficult to get smoothness and definition in the sound, I can only really get one or the other (if that makes sense).

Skyblue

Reaction score
awesome, thanks for all the comments :]
So to sum it up kinda:
first, Jazzy-ish/ clean sound are very dependent on the amp and pickups, so most guitars will probably be ok, with maybe a pickup switch or some similar modification.
third, a main "issue" is my own neck preference- Ibanez, or agile, EBMM, w/e other style neck.

yes?

I guess it's just a matter of trying in that case :] I highly doubt I'll be able to find an Agile around here... I'll try out some Ibanez's, and everything else I'll be able to find =P
I'm really in love with the JP7 though, so if the neck will fit me, I'll probably pick it up anyway :p Thanks again guys!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yup, you're correct. If you can find a neck you like, one of the pickup builders will be able to make you a custom pickup for that guitar that will get you what you want.

PS: any pickup can be wired to be split if it's 4-conductor.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
awesome, thanks for all the comments :]
So to sum it up kinda:
first, Jazzy-ish/ clean sound are very dependent on the amp and pickups, so most guitars will probably be ok, with maybe a pickup switch or some similar modification.
third, a main "issue" is my own neck preference- Ibanez, or agile, EBMM, w/e other style neck.

yes?

I guess it's just a matter of trying in that case :] I highly doubt I'll be able to find an Agile around here... I'll try out some Ibanez's, and everything else I'll be able to find =P
I'm really in love with the JP7 though, so if the neck will fit me, I'll probably pick it up anyway :p Thanks again guys!

i'd like to point out that the neck humbucker in parallel which is on the ibanez 2 hum five way wiring is really really nice. i'd highly recommend finding a way to activate the neck in parallel if you really want a nice responsive mellow jazz tone without getting too 'woolly' if you get the JP7

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
Im currently doin a degree in jazz performance.

Use my Rg1527.... does the job....

')