I'm re-obsessed with Cryptopsy's None So Vile - What amp was used?

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Okay, I searched and couldn't find anything but hate threads on what Cryptopsy has become... :mad: so I'm posting this because the last few weeks I've been getting heavily back into old Cryptopsy :metal:

I just can't get enough of None So Vile these days. It's just so... brutal :fawk:

I'm loving the guitar tone and would love to know if anyone knows which amps were used? It's pretty gainy but not overly gainy, IMO still clear for what it is. I'm guessing it could be some sort of solid state Ampeg or Crate? Or maybe a Marshall? Lol, Fender amp with Boss HM pedal? I can't pinpoint it :scratch: I know that they used a Stratocaster when recording :lol: YouTube - Cryptopsy - Jamspace Rehearsal

Also I figure the bass helps the mix a lot, but specifically starting at 1:57 in this song you can hear just the guitar :hbang:

Mmm more... everything is so demented and heavy! The end particularly :bowdown:

I know they used Madison amps on their later albums but I don't think those were available during 1995 :lol:

omg

Any ideas? Thanks! :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I have no idea what amp(s) were used but I love that CD so much. And you are so right about the bass

7th_Heaven

Reaction score
I believe they are using modded strats with humbuckers in them, and as far as amps....that sounds like a Marshall all the way with a tubescreamer, and remember those guitars were probably quad tracked so that's why it gets that thick chunky tone, hope that helps!!!!! :hbang:

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
I know Jon Levasseur used Marshalls for a while, notably around the NSV time. I don't know if he used them for the recording, though. It does sound very Marshall-y to me. I know a lot of extreme metal guys around that time frame were using boosted Marshall VS100 / VS200s and Ampeg VH140Cs.

TheWreck

Grind Your Mind!
Reaction score
I saw them in the Whisper Supremacy tour, and yes Jon Levasseur used a strat with a EMG81 bridge pickup, through a Marshall. Later i saw them during the And then you'll beg album their were using Crate BV's, and after that when the band got all messed up...Levasseur Departure, DiSalvo gone....I lose my interest in them, but I saw them twice, and Opened for them in an other event and all those time they were using Madison.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Mmmm thanks guys! I was wondering if it was a Marshall Valvestate for sure. Not helping my GAS for an Ampeg or VS100 haha!

TheWreck: You are a lucky man seeing them at those times and then opening for them! bad ass :metal:

:eek:

SirToastalot

Needs a better rig..
Reaction score
Classic album!

It could have been a Dual Rectifier...not sure if I've got wire crossed here but I kinda recall reading about that somewhere...if that's proof enough.:ugh:

It's a bit difficult to identify by ear...I like the tone but it's a little bit muffled.

Tysonimmortal

Beers and Gear
Reaction score
When I saw them on the And the You'll Beg tour, in Dallas, they were using mesa rectifiers. One guitar player had the EMG modded strat, and the other played a Washburn Dime model.

They were chugging Red Bull, and doing most of the stops and pauses with volume pedals. It was crazy!

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Awesome! That makes sense to me that they would use a recto later on.

These palm mutes are pretty bass heavy here, but I assume it could still be a Marshall for this record :scratch:

They were chugging Red Bull, and doing most of the stops and pauses with volume pedals. It was crazy!

haha! that's awesome. why would they use a volume pedal tho instead of a killswitch or mute :scratch:

groph

Reaction score
major lol at the tags

When I saw them live they were using a 5150 and a Triple Rec into Vader cabs. The guy with the 5150 had an LTD Viper, so probably an EMG 81. I didn't see his pedals if he had any. His tone was absolutely killer, it was the best live tone I've heard so far. The other guy had a Dean Razorback with what looked like a Dimebucker in the bridge but it could have been an X2N or a similar looking pickup. His tone was alright but the 5150 slayed the Triple at least at that show.

If the None So Vile tone is a Marshall, I want one.

joshc482

Reaction score
on none so vile and bmf they used a marshall jcm 800 on the clean channel with a boss metal zone for the distortion, and a boss noise gate. that is all. simple and fucking brutal. jon used a fender strat with emgs and alex used a usa dime washy. as for the other albums i don't know but i really like the tone on whisper supremacy. i had a crate bv when i was like 14 and it sounded like shit. wonder how they got them to sound good on tour.

groph

Reaction score
on none so vile and bmf they used a marshall jcm 800 on the clean channel with a boss metal zone for the distortion, and a boss noise gate. that is all. simple and fucking brutal. jon used a fender strat with emgs and alex used a usa dime washy. as for the other albums i don't know but i really like the tone on whisper supremacy. i had a crate bv when i was like 14 and it sounded like shit. wonder how they got them to sound good on tour.

Blue Voodoos seem to be like that, everybody but you (not YOU) can get them to sound good. Wasn't the tone on Cannibal Corpse's "Vile" all BV, or was that Gallery of Suicide? The tone on Vile is my definition of brutal.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score

AHAH! I knew there had to be a Boss distortion pedal in their somewhere! Awesome! Yes Whisper Supremacy I'd say was my favorite album but for the moment I may change it to this one :evil:

Blue Voodoos seem to be like that, everybody but you (not YOU) can get them to sound good. Wasn't the tone on Cannibal Corpse's "Vile" all BV, or was that Gallery of Suicide? The tone on Vile is my definition of brutal.

I think gallery of suicide was the Crate GX-130c?

groph

Reaction score
Yeah, they used that Crate head a lot I think on the early Barnes stuff? I know they used a BV at some point. Alex called it "intense, but not as intense as the Rectifiers"

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Since they broke up, it might be hard to get info on the amps.

[/sarcasm]

Latest posts

')