I'm Switching To ENGL (Zim Blasphemy Content!)

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I also just thought of an even better solution, stick to my VHT pre-amp :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Seeing as they are rarer than hens teeth over here, and as new cab costs, wait for it, 1000£ (1500-1600$) I'd say a used one, even with shipping may be worth it.

If you get a used one in let me know, as I would be interested :) (especially if it's a slant one, weirdly enough)

Cool James I'll let you know.

Trusting your description it seems they fixed everything I didn't like about the previous version (which was the only Engl I'd have got for myself). I'm really looking forward to trying one out.

I've got one odd question for you: how does the lead channel react to single coils/tapped humbuckers?

When are we getting the "this thread is worthless without clips" emoticon? :lol:

I haven't tried it with single coils yet. I did try the Flaxwood w/ P90s (which are single coils pretty much) and it sounded GREAT with that.

I missed the point where he said he wasn't satisfied with his vht :lol:

The FB100 was not out during your stretch of anti-VHT rants...

There's no VHT myth :lol: He said himself he still loves the shit out of VHT and would keep it if it wouldn't be an extremely expensive backup amp :lol:

The UL is still my favorite head that I've tried, and while I haven't had a chance to try Engl's, every one I've heard in person (bands using them at shows) must have been set up like shit because they sounded fizzy and like garbage, and that includes an Invader. I equate that more to a shitty setup though than a shitty amp.

I'll be taking a trip down to the Axe Palace this weekend so I'll get to try some out finally.

Bingo guys.

And to think I got neg repped for this post along with some of my many anti-VHT rants. It is a bittersweet victory, but with Zim switching from VHT, it is clear that the final nail is in the coffin of the myth.

:cool:

Rob, settle down and take your lithum already. 80% of your posts on this forum are randomly bashing VHTs. We get it, your agenda is clear. We know you love your Kranks, enjoy it and move on. Your never-ending anti-VHT crusade is childish dude. You're completely lacking credibility considering you don't have the experience necessary to make such ridiculous blanket statements about the brand.

Why can't people just like what they like and not dedicate their lives to hating on something? If you think VHTs are shit and Kranks are awesome, all the power to you, but you come off as a complete troll when all you do is bash stuff. I personally think Kranks are the worst amps I've ever heard, but I don't bring it up in every thread i post in.

Me loving the Fireball 100 has nothing to do with VHT. It is not a 'victory' for you. It's only a victory for me since now I have found another amp I love in addition to my Pittbull.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
:lol: @the idiot bashing VHT and favoring Krank.
To be honest, VHT really isn't for everyone, it's a love hate amp, so I wouldn't rag on this too much, for instance some people love engl amps, whilst I really don't get on with the ice pick upper mids that every single one i've tried so far seems to have (either that or i find them quite lifeless) which isn't a popular opinion on this board either :)

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Since I'm a rack guy now I doubt I'd buy any Engl stuff anyways, since the SE pre-amp is supremely expensive, and people say the SE is compressed sounding like the Powerball, which I doubt I'd be into.
The SE preamp, well, one of my ex band mates had one, and I think we both just came to the conclusion after a while that it really wasn't worth the price tag on it which was a shame as I think both of us wanted it to be good.

The E860 was pretty cool as an all in one rack amp, still had a bit of that engl flavour that I am not a massive fan of, but much less so, sounded weirdly like a cross between a 5150 and the VHT UL...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
To be honest, VHT really isn't for everyone, it's a love hate amp, so I wouldn't rag on this too much, for instance some people love engl amps, whilst I really don't get on with the ice pick upper mids that every single one i've tried so far seems to have (either that or i find them quite lifeless) which isn't a popular opinion on this board either :)

James, I think people are ragging on him for being a miserable dude who has been leading a never-ending pointless crusade against VHT. The majority of his posts on this forum historically have been shitting on VHT om pme way another, including saying things like "VHTs have no gain". Absurd rubbish that everyone knows isn't true.

Everyone is allowed an opinion, but usually informed opinions in a somewhat civil manner is more effective than just being a jerk.

Anyways, I too don't like the ENGL qualities you're talking about James. It's why I didn't like the last 3-4 ENGLs I've owned. The Fireball 100 is really different, they really got it right. I love it :)

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score

I have yet to play an ENGL, but the clips I heard interested me less than the VHT clips. I will say that clips for both were pretty useless, though, because of all the variables.

And anyone who says VHT's don't have gain OBVIOUSLY HAS NOT PLAYED ONE! They won't cover up shitty playing, is all.

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
:lol: @the idiot bashing VHT and favoring Krank.

Yeah, as far as Kranks, i don't think i've ever been more disappointed in an amp after what i had heard about them.

Zimbloth, how are the lead tones of the fireball 100 compared to a powerball? You said that they fixed some of the qualities you didn't like, including the ice-pick high mids mentioned in James' post. Would you say that the FB100 has a smoother high end?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Zimbloth, how are the lead tones of the fireball 100 compared to a powerball? You said that they fixed some of the qualities you didn't like, including the ice-pick high mids mentioned in James' post. Would you say that the FB100 has a smoother high end?

Yes, it's a much darker sounding amp than the Powerball but still crazy tight. The lead tones are much better IMO. Incredibly articulate and clear, but juicy and thick at the same time. It's not nearly as compressed and stiff as the Powerball. The amp is more fun to play.

It has more low-mid growl and fluid highs than the original Fireball or the Powerball. It still has some high mids but not abrasive or honky. It may sound crazy, but I think it's easily the best sounding ENGL they make, to my ears anyways - for metal rhythm/leads. I haven't tried the SE yet but so far I prefer it to everything else I've tried (Invader, Powerball, FB60, Savage, etc).

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Well all I can add right now is that I love my 2 channel Mesa Triple Rec but Ive been wanting something new to experiment with and ENGL has been on my list along with an EVH 5150 and Diezel Herbert and Mesa Mark V and Mesa 2010 Triple Rec. I hadent quite narrowed it down to which ENGL I wanted but after reading this thread about the Fireball 100 and with it being the cheaper priced of the bunch I said why not? Since Ive never played one it made my decision all that much easier. I do have an ENGL Fireball 100 arriving on Thursday just in time for band practice Thursday night. I will surely be adding my thoughts on it on Friday. By the way, I would totally have bought it from you Nick but I had this unused financing for a year with no interest with Music123 so I bought the last one they had in stock. Looks like you guys will just have to buy up from Nick now. :metal:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I do have an ENGL Fireball 100 arriving on Thursday just in time for band practice Thursday night. I will surely be adding my thoughts on it on Friday. By the way, I would totally have bought it from you Nick but I had this unused financing for a year with no interest with Music123 so I bought the last one they had in stock. Looks like you guys will just have to buy up from Nick now. :metal:

Congrats man and thanks for the sentiment. It's all good that you got one from some place else, just let met know if you think its as killer as I do :) If you need any tips/settings sometime feel free :yesway:

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
James, I think people are ragging on him for being a miserable dude who has been leading a never-ending pointless crusade against VHT. The majority of his posts on this forum historically have been shitting on VHT om pme way another, including saying things like "VHTs have no gain". Absurd rubbish that everyone knows isn't true.

Everyone is allowed an opinion, but usually informed opinions in a somewhat civil manner is more effective than just being a jerk.

Anyways, I too don't like the ENGL qualities you're talking about James. It's why I didn't like the last 3-4 ENGLs I've owned. The Fireball 100 is really different, they really got it right. I love it :)
Ah well, still, I thought i was the only one that thought that about engls, it just doesn't sit right with me. To be honest, the SE is pretty much just an overcomplicated powerball, very compressed and has that same upper mid thing going on. Also sounds very bland, a huge dissapointment for an amp that costs as much as a diezel herbert pretty much.

And definately let me know about any cabs as and when you get them :) I just know that now I'm going to be looking for one that none will appear in england at all...

Maybe may be able to get one of the new fireballs for tracking, co0ulod be cool to hear it in the studio and see if engl have got rid of that tonal thing I don't get on with

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ah well, still, I thought i was the only one that thought that about engls, it just doesn't sit right with me. To be honest, the SE is pretty much just an overcomplicated powerball, very compressed and has that same upper mid thing going on. Also sounds very bland, a huge dissapointment for an amp that costs as much as a diezel herbert pretty much.

And definately let me know about any cabs as and when you get them :) I just know that now I'm going to be looking for one that none will appear in england at all...

Maybe may be able to get one of the new fireballs for tracking, co0ulod be cool to hear it in the studio and see if engl have got rid of that tonal thing I don't get on with

That's what I've heard James, but I've never played an SE so I don't know. All I know is the new Fireball is the first ENGL that hit the spot for me. It has more of a low-mid emphasis and simply sounds wonderful. I think you'd like it a lot dude.

Regarding the Fat Bottom cabs, typically when I get used ones in I sell them for around $700-750 USD (they're $1100 USD new). I don't know if that's still a good deal for you considering shipping, let me know. I could help out on the customs :)

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Yes, it's a much darker sounding amp than the Powerball but still crazy tight. The lead tones are much better IMO. Incredibly articulate and clear, but juicy and thick at the same time. It's not nearly as compressed and stiff as the Powerball. The amp is more fun to play.

It has more low-mid growl and fluid highs than the original Fireball or the Powerball. It still has some high mids but not abrasive or honky. It may sound crazy, but I think it's easily the best sounding ENGL they make, to my ears anyways - for metal rhythm/leads. I haven't tried the SE yet but so far I prefer it to everything else I've tried (Invader, Powerball, FB60, Savage, etc).

I had the same experience as you, Nick...

... that was sort of the experience I had with [the FB100] too. I didn't really love any Engls I'd tried previously, but the FB100 really blew me away. It sounds so much better than the other heads that are even twice it's price...

...and I agree with your opinion on most Engls, James. Until recently, almost every Engl head I've tried (which was basically all of them except the SE and the less-referenced ones, the Classic, Screamer, Thunder, Raider, etc) to me has sounded over-compressed, with very little dynamics, and I didn't like at all what that did in terms of the amp's tone and responsiveness (the exception was the Savage, but it still wasn't quite perfect). Then I tried the FB100, and wow, that was a breath of fresh air. They basically fixed everything about Engls that I didn't like while maintaining what I did. I haven't tried the SE head, but barring that possibility, I agree w/ Nick that the FB100 may be their best sounding head.

That, combined with the fact that I'd actually liked the Engl preamps I've tried, made me think, maybe it's the Engl poweramp that I don't like?

The SE preamp, well, one of my ex band mates had one, and I think we both just came to the conclusion after a while that it really wasn't worth the price tag on it which was a shame as I think both of us wanted it to be good.

...To be honest, the SE is pretty much just an overcomplicated powerball, very compressed and has that same upper mid thing going on. Also sounds very bland...

I still haven't been able to try the SE head, so again maybe it's the Engl power section that's to blame, but I was able to get the same tonality out of the E570 preamp (with any of the 3 different poweramps I've tried it through, to differing degrees) as I was getting out of the FB100, and then some. You can make it sound like a Powerball, or get it to have any of those undesirable tonal characteristics if you want, but from the couple of weeks I've been playing around with it (extensively), I've been able to get a lot of great tones with it, devoid of the horrid, compressed tone of the heads.

yacker

Reaction score
I'm kinda late to this thread, as ever since I bought my Invader 100 I haven't even browsed this section of the forum because I'm not interested in different amps anymore.

As for the fireball 100, I'll have to give it a shot sometime.

Have you had a chance to check out the Steve Morse sig amp at all Nick? I think that one is EASILY the most underrated engl out there. You never hear about it at all, but I really thought it was a sick amp. In the end I had to choose between that amp and the Invader and I opted for the extra channel of flexibility the Invader offered. Not to mention there was this underlying sense of feeling awkward playing an amp with another guitarist's name on it....that probably has to do with why you never hear about it.

Anyway, definitely check out the Morse signature amp when you get a chance, that goes for everyone looking into engls. The flexibility in dialing in the mid range on the Morse is ridiculous.

As for the Invader 100 vs 150 debate. I played a 150 in the store and that completely sold me on getting an Invader. I got home and read into all the hype of the 100 being better and ordered the 100. Which is better? I'd say they are about the same, I haven't had a chance to play both at the same time in the same room or anything, but I doubt anybody would be discontent with either, assuming the Invader is their thing.

As for Engl customer support/quality control. I had an issue with the first Invader 100 I got that ended up taking around 3 months to get completely sorted out....it was a complete pain in the ass, but the store I was working with handled it well. Apparently every summer for like 3 weeks the entire Engl factory goes on vacation....and during this time, good luck getting repair help sent from the factory. The store attempted to fix the amps and VERY LONG STORY short it didn't work. In the end Engl ended up sending me a new head, and that one worked fine out of the box and I've been content ever since. The wait time of getting something directly from the factory to a US store is brutal though....especially when you're without an amp to play.

JMP2203

Reaction score
since the original fireball was the little brother of the powerball 1...

maybe the new powerball 2 will have the same tonality of the new fireball 100 dont you think?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
since the original fireball was the little brother of the powerball 1...

maybe the new powerball 2 will have the same tonality of the new fireball 100 dont you think?

I wouldn't assume that necessarily. From what I understand the Powerball II does have some tweaks/improvements, but I don't think it's the same massive overhaul like the Fireball 100 was to its original. I mean the FB100 sounds NOTHING like a FB60, it's a completely different amp. I'd guess the PB2 will at least be similar to the original Powerball but just be better (hopefully, I'll find out in about 2 weeks when the first shipment arrives).

Also, the Fireball was never really the 'little brother' to the Powerball. They never sounded even remotely similar. If anything it seems like the Powerball might be the little brother to the SE. The Fireball is its own thing. The original had some cool elements to it but the new one completely blows it out of the water.

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the PB2 smoked. We shall find out! I do know the prototype they had at NAMM was not the final version, so I would take any clips of it with a grain of salt.

I'm kinda late to this thread, as ever since I bought my Invader 100 I haven't even browsed this section of the forum because I'm not interested in different amps anymore.

As for the fireball 100, I'll have to give it a shot sometime.

Have you had a chance to check out the Steve Morse sig amp at all Nick? I think that one is EASILY the most underrated engl out there. You never hear about it at all, but I really thought it was a sick amp. In the end I had to choose between that amp and the Invader and I opted for the extra channel of flexibility the Invader offered. Not to mention there was this underlying sense of feeling awkward playing an amp with another guitarist's name on it....that probably has to do with why you never hear about it.

Anyway, definitely check out the Morse signature amp when you get a chance, that goes for everyone looking into engls. The flexibility in dialing in the mid range on the Morse is ridiculous.

As for the Invader 100 vs 150 debate. I played a 150 in the store and that completely sold me on getting an Invader. I got home and read into all the hype of the 100 being better and ordered the 100. Which is better? I'd say they are about the same, I haven't had a chance to play both at the same time in the same room or anything, but I doubt anybody would be discontent with either, assuming the Invader is their thing.

As for Engl customer support/quality control. I had an issue with the first Invader 100 I got that ended up taking around 3 months to get completely sorted out....it was a complete pain in the ass, but the store I was working with handled it well. Apparently every summer for like 3 weeks the entire Engl factory goes on vacation....and during this time, good luck getting repair help sent from the factory. The store attempted to fix the amps and VERY LONG STORY short it didn't work. In the end Engl ended up sending me a new head, and that one worked fine out of the box and I've been content ever since. The wait time of getting something directly from the factory to a US store is brutal though....especially when you're without an amp to play.

That's cool Justen. I love the Invader 100 also. I still hope to be able to try it with my rig sometime. And no I've never tried the Steve Morse, how do you think it differs from the other models? I may be getting a Blackmore in soon, hows that one?

')