Important question about a band

virus5150

Reaction score
After being in my band and being the lead guitarist for over a year, i'm in a battle between staying or leaving due to my drummer and other guitar player. Our other guitar player refuses to tune to G even though we both play 7's becuase it's aparently to muddy and sounds like shit. The truth is he just cant play worth shit unless it's chugging or simple progressions/riffs like fear factory stuff. And our drummer just thinks he os a god and everything is revolving around him. For example, me" hey can we try to put a beat to this riff * plays meshuggah/periphery type riff* him " no, i dont think youre writing in the direction this band should be sounding like" and ontop of that, he was supposed to help work with me at a friends farm, which payed 10$ an hour tax free and in cash. He backed out becuase " at the rate we are workign and what we are doing, i should be making atleast 12 to 15 an hour and it just isnt worth my time" these words are coming from a man who has no job. I just dont think i can tour with a guy who expects to get 1million dollars for playing drums on a tour. Sorry for the rant, but i just needed to let it out. So what do you guys think, should i stay or go?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Being in a band should be about fulfilling your own musical goals while having a ton of fun with some of your best friends. From the sounds of it, none of those things are going on.

If I was in your position, unless the band REALLY had potential, (we're talking "next big thing" kinda potential) I'd leave and start another band, join one I'd personally like to be a part of.

natspotats

Reaction score
fuck it leave, if you arent happy doing what you are doing with them then you should gtfo. good band mates should be open to hearing your ideas even if its something that you guys dont normally play. in the band im in we will be playing some all shall perish type stuff then throw out riffs that sound like silversun pickups just for skits and giggles

Demiurge

Reaction score
If that's the case, why waste your good material on them? The guys sound like idiots and the band probably isn't going to last that long- you should be thankful that they're not intent on sucking the life out of every good idea you have.

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
do what i did, i left my band and started a solo project, not as many ideas from lack of members but u can use what ever you feel sounds good without other people saying "no"

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
There are two problems here: You're trying to sound like Periphery and Meshuggah, while your band mates are, well, totaly faggots.

Quit that shit.

do what i did, i left my band and started a solo project, not as many ideas from lack of members but u can use what ever you feel sounds good without other people saying "no"

I think you should just start a new band, dude...starting a solo project when no one knows who you are is....well I wont say...but just start a new band.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I had a similar experience with my old band. Only the rhythm guitarist (who was also the singer) was really good; but was a faggot. He started blaming on me everything bad that happened to the band. The drummer only wanted to be in a huge band, get loads of girls and loads of money. I personally think our music had some potential (to the metalcore public... I went through a huge metalcore stage), but we only rehearsed like 3 times before shows since the other guys would always come up with excuses to not attend to rehearsals. Our gigs didn't sound like absolute crap, but they could've sounded just WAAAYY better and tighter. After all that, the other guitarist decides to start a pop band (a la John Mayer... Only way shittier). Our drummer joined. They were getting bigger than my band. Then they never had time for our band. I got pissed and stopped contact with them. However, I never had the balls to leave, I didn't want to leave them without a lead guitarist for the upcoming shows... Big, big, BIIIGGG mistake I made there. I felt really stressed out, and bad vibes were flowing among all of us. Until our drummer told me they had to "let me go"... I felt like a new person, I actually thanked him for having "let me go". The band never got big (we separated), their pop band didn't do shit either (the guitarist and the drummer left), and another punk band they started just never did anything.

If you didn't bother to read that long story, my advice is this:
Leave for good. A band won't be getting anywhere if the relationship between the members isn't good and if the experience isn't enjoyable.

Hope that helps.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Sound like douches with unearned entitlement issues, good on you for getting out. :yesway:

Latest posts

')