Importing an echoplex?

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have my eyes on a Maestro echoplex, but its located in the UK and im in Boston, MA. I've heard horror stories of people buying gear in japan and getting them imported to the states, anyone have any experience with importing from the UK? Just nervous since echoplexs arent cheap and theres a lot of moving components inside.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have my eyes on a Maestro echoplex, but its located in the UK and im in Boston, MA. I've heard horror stories of people buying gear in japan and getting them imported to the states, anyone have any experience with importing from the UK? Just nervous since echoplexs arent cheap and theres a lot of moving components inside.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!
EchoPlex's are pretty solid and should hold up fine assuming it's packed well. Importing from the UK is no big deal. All the sender needs to do is fill out the commerial invoice fully and properly and send it. It's possible you'll be charged import duty/tax so you're aware. Make sure it's insured for the full accurate value. Don't over or under value it, just what it was bought for.
- Normally I'd ask sender to take out the tubes or something incase they break, but with an EchoPlex it's a tough call. They're pretty solid in there and maybe safer inside, but I'd still err on the side of caution and have them packed sperately so if they break the glass don't get everywhere.

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
EchoPlex's are pretty solid and should hold up fine assuming it's packed well. Importing from the UK is no big deal. All the sender needs to do is fill out the commerial invoice fully and properly and send it. It's possible you'll be charged import duty/tax so you're aware. Make sure it's insured for the full accurate value. Don't over or under value it, just what it was bought for.
- Normally I'd ask sender to take out the tubes or something incase they break, but with an EchoPlex it's a tough call. They're pretty solid in there and maybe safer inside, but I'd still err on the side of caution and have them packed sperately so if they break the glass don't get everywhere.

Gotcha! Thanks! Good to know. I've never done something like this before (clearly!) - when it comes to insuring it, is that something I need to do on my own? Or will the seller help me with that? It's off Reverb and the seller has about 7 or 8 five star reviews, so they seem to be pretty good/reliable. Tough to say though. I guess I can just request that they pack it well and maybe pack the tape separately?

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Gotcha! Thanks! Good to know. I've never done something like this before (clearly!) - when it comes to insuring it, is that something I need to do on my own? Or will the seller help me with that? It's off Reverb and the seller has about 7 or 8 five star reviews, so they seem to be pretty good/reliable. Tough to say though. I guess I can just request that they pack it well and maybe pack the tape separately?

Packing the tape seperately sounds like a good idea too. They're pretty durable actually but better to be safe if possible. - Make sure before you buy it (or pay) that you request the insurance for full value, tracking number after shipped and approproate packaging. - It's al on the seller to do this but if they choose not to and you have record of the request and have to open a dispute case then the record will be there for the Reverb people to see showing you did everything you could to request it before you buy it. If you already bought it but didn't pay then get a documented message to the seller that it's what you want. If seller doesn't confirm they will in fact do it then cancel transation and start again. - It's a pain in the butt and it doesn't seem to matter and stuff goes ok most the time, but if there's an sort of problem believe me suddenly it will be al about this and how you should've said done this etc.. etc... which will also determine the outcome of any cases and leave you with the short straw potentially losing money etc.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
My brother bought a car part from Japan once. It was supposed to arrive in less than a month, but got stuck in customs for several months.

I don’t think that’s normal though.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I’ve imported a few items from the UK. It’s never been a problem. I did have to pay import fees on at least one, if not all, of those (can’t remember for sure).

WarMachine

Reaction score
I work in shipping for a large automotive stamping plant. I ship (now at least) about 3 trucks to Canada every night. Used to be about 5-6. I can tell you that @c7spheres is on the money about your customs/invoice info. One wrong number/letter can fvck up your shipment and have it sent back.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
The Echoplex was originally manufactured in the US right? You may have to pay a duty on it.

')