Impressions of the RGD Prestige!

Schaug

Reaction score
Last night a met with a guy with plans to trade my Loomis with his RGD 2127z with some cash on my side of course. I plugged in the Ibanez (with stock pups btw) and I just couldn't believe the sound. It was great, I mean... BEAUTIFUL! Stock pups are not that bad at all, they lack some clarity but hey, its easily dealt with.

In terms of playability it was simply perfect. I just love the neck profile, its not nearly as thin as I thoght it would be (6 string Ibby premiums gave me finger cramps btw). The neck plays itself, and the rosewood fb has a beautiful texture, unlike I've ever seen before.

Now, the only downside was that DAMN satin finish. One just can't get around that shit. It's getting overly glossy and it looks ugly as fukk! Fortunately, that is the case with my Loomis also... Anyway if we close the deal I will definitely refinish it. I like what Angel Vivaldi did with his. The trade is not yet done but I think it will be soon, so the NGD thread is incoming! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toxin

no, i don't drink vodka
Reaction score
100% GO FOR IT! One of the best production guitars i've got my hands on.
Want to paint mine to something like cosmo black (JPXI) when it'll start to get those glossy spots.

Schaug

Reaction score
100% GO FOR IT! One of the best production guitars i've got my hands on.
Want to paint mine to something like cosmo black (JPXII) when it'll start to get those glossy spots.

Hell yeah! I think cosmo black would loook radical. Mystic dream is awesome but too expensive... :ugh:

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I really want to get my hands on one of the new ones with the fancy color changing finish :yum:

Also, I've never played an RGD but all the talk seems that they're a cut above other Ibanez's. Any comparison to say a JP7?

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Do it, they rule.

If/when I get one I'm gonna take some polishing compound to the body, since it'd just get shiny with use anyway.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i'm more into the FX version of this axe, but i owned a 2127z and it was the comfiest guitar i owned ever, comfy neck and body, stock pickups actually sound pretty decent, nothing to rush to replace, but would still throw d-activators in it cus i love their sound

if you love the trem and everything else this guitar has to offer then jump all over it dude, you won't be disappointed

also i'm in the same boat as you with the satin finish, will keep it satin till it gets glossy spots then just get it refinished in gloss black

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
I'm playing my RGD loads recently, I have a set of aftermaths in it now. The lead tone is fantastic and everyone already knows what the bridge sounds like in these woods. Mine was refinished by the previous owner and loads ....ing epic. It's the original chameleon which Matt owned.

GreatWhiteYeti

Reaction score
Dude, go for it. I have 0 regrets and I know I will keep this guitar for my entire life (2127FX). They are also incredibly light weight but they don't sound it at all. I went to hand it off to a bandmate at her first practice and they were mind ....ed for sure.

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
I just got one, too (NGD here)! I can't wait to play mine, since it's in about 50 different pieces right now haha. I have played one before, however, and they are just fantastic. I'll have mine set up tomorrow with a D Activator in the bridge & an Air Norton in the neck. Should be tasty!

s2k9k

Reaction score
GET IT. I have the RGD2127FX model. Most awesome axe I've played. And I've had Universes and a RG2027xvv in the past.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I totally recommend it, I only let go of my 2127Z because something came up for sale that I just had to have. The finish is annoying and ends up glossed from use very easily but that's an afterthought if you enjoy how the thing plays and feels. Definitely a great Prestige model.

Schaug

Reaction score
Thank you guys! Im working on it and she definitely should be here any day now. Already brainstorming on which pups to drop in her. I have a local Dimarzio dealer nearby but would raher go EMG 81-7/707 combo. Just cant believe that there is no passive sized emgs apart from overpriced-nowhere-to-be-found-metalworks :wallbash:

ev_o

Reaction score
Got mine routed for Blackhawks a couple of months ago. It would be nice if emg had a resonably sized active rather than those big ass soapbars. Haven't seen many with the new metalworks.

enghell

Funeral Doom
Reaction score
Get it! And swap the stock pickups for a nice pair of Bare Knuckle Pickups (they'll blow EMG's off the ground any time).
The RGD's are simply awesome guitars (got the 2127FX myself with BKP's in it, of course). :)

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Thank you guys! Im working on it and she definitely should be here any day now. Already brainstorming on which pups to drop in her. I have a local Dimarzio dealer nearby but would raher go EMG 81-7/707 combo. Just cant believe that there is no passive sized emgs apart from overpriced-nowhere-to-be-found-metalworks :wallbash:

D-Activators would work amazingly in it. I never got a chance to install them in mine because, yes the stock pickups are in fact not that bad at all! And I ended up selling it way too soon sadly.

Also :cool:

rgd_zps2271c406.jpg

Schaug

Reaction score
D Activators seem to be born basswood, like most Dimarzios. At least they are affordable. 57-7/66-7 set seems amazing but for the same money I could easily buy a new Aftermath or Blackhawk set.

Btw that lower horn on the RGD seems so thin it could break any moment. :) Its kinda scary. :scratch:

Reaction score
Grats on the guitar man, I own an 2127FX for a month now and i'm loving it.

I was in doubt about the pups as well, wanted the d-activators at first but got the SD Pegasus-Sentient combo instead and it rocks!

')