Impulse bought my first 8 (RG2228) and have so many questions

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Wasn't planning on a 8 string, I don't even play 7s. Was planning on a fix n flip since the price was right and the fixes easy. I'm liking this thing, it's fun. Might have to keep it. 2007 model.

STRINGS

This thing came with some hybrid string set taken from a 10-75 and a 11-80 set. First thing I did was tune down to drop-E, seemed like the right thing to do. So the 6 first strings are just like a standard E 6 string guitar but it's a 27" scale. I don't even use 11s on my 6 stringers tuned to D and C.

I have a 27" 6 string tuned to drop-A# and that's with a 10-52 set. That guitar came stock with 13-56. I don't understand why you would still use thicker strings when you have the benefit of that long scale. Isn't that the whole point, more tension with smaller strings.

Comparing to my old 27" I could theoretically ditch the thickest in the 8 string set and replace the thinnest with a as small gauge I can find (string breakage might be real).

I measure current strings: ~80, 54, 48, 38, 28, 17, 13, 11. That's a 54 for some reason while normally a set like this would have thicker.
Wonder if a (Daddario EXL120-8) 009 - 011 - 016 - w024 - 032 - 042 - 054 - 065 set would be too light for me. Might have to calc some tensions.

PICKUPS

It has the original 808s. Already modded to 18V which is slightly better imo. There's not many 8 string pups on the market, but many of them look so intriguing. I use both passives and actives but I have no idea how they'd perform in a 8 string. I might be leaning towards passives. I can get a Dimarzio for ~100€ or a Holcomb set for as much as I paid for the guitar and pickups in between. Barely any 2nd hand 8s in my area for sale.

SETTINGS

I used a TS and a SD-1 for clean boost with GE-7 for low cut. Worked fine. Also got some interesting results with a Friedman Sir Compre compressor. It has a Gain and a Tight knob. Also Fulldrive 2 Mosfet in Comp Cut worked well.
I'm an tube amp guy but in your opinion, is modeler the way to go here?
Got tips?

This might've been more of a thinking out loud than questions but I want to hear opinions.

Attachments

• rg2228_1.jpg
    rg2228_1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Congrats, you got one the best production 8 strings ever made! No right or wrong way to go in terms of pickups or amp vs modeler, just go with your ears. Most folks here will tell you to go passives, I also like Fishman actives a lot more than EMGs. I had a couple 2228as that came stock with D-Activators and they sounded great too.

Protip: be careful not to over tighten the locking screws on the bridge- they can snap off if you put too much torque on them. Really the only thing Ibanez "improved" on this model was switching to a standard hardtail bridge when they replaced these with the 852 models.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I think I use about those gauges for standard/F# tuning, and I like it. Others seem to like much heavier strings, so I think it just depends on the timbre you want from it and how low you're going to tune.

I've used the 808x an thought they sounded ok. I have something with the Dimarzio PAF 8s and something with BKP Mule 8s, and I like them both. I kinda wish I had something a bit hotter like a Duncan JB, but at least there is no muddiness. I did have something with Duncan Blackout 8s, and those were just not good. Just very bland. Hot but no fun. No character to anything IMHO.

I use old Marshall amps boosted with an SD-1. Seems to work well enough for me. I also can run Positive Grid Bias through a FRFR cab. That also works well and you can use the EQ blocks to make sort of a high-pass filter to clean up all the sub-lows to get things super tight if you want. But I don't think it's necessary. An SD-1 should knock out anything you wouldn't want.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 28.6" scale 8, tunes drop-E; I used to use Daddario 10-74's, then 9-80's; I finally settled on the Stringjoy 9-74 set, which is much better balanced (a 60 B, for example) with an 80 for the dropped E. At 27" you may like a 10's set better.

Pickup-wise, it really depends on what sound you want. So many options nowadays! Not only the big names and well known boutiques, but lots of smaller, HQ brands like Instrumental, Elysian, and Guitarmory. What sound are you after?

Welcome to more guitar!

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Congrats for the guitar , one of the best 8 string ever made.

I use NXYL 09-80 for drop E and I'm totally fine.

For pickups there are a lot of possibilities. If you want to stay with an active configuration Fishman is your best choice.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
I tuned down a bith with the same strings. The thicker strings flop sooner than the thin ones. Looks like this set would be more suited for a multiscale.

What sound are you after?

That's a hard question since I wasn't in the market for an 8 to begin with =). My playing style on the 8 has become something like Meshuggah influenced death. I really want definition so for some reason I imagine actives would be the way to go. Passives could give more versatility, maybe I want to play some doomier and melodic stuff. A Lundgren M8 bridge looks like a strong contender right now.

EDIT: what's the deal with Aftermaths? They used to be very popular but don't seem to be the flavor of the month anymore.

Last edited:

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
I tuned down a bith with the same strings. The thicker strings flop sooner than the thin ones. Looks like this set would be more suited for a multiscale.

That's a hard question since I wasn't in the market for an 8 to begin with =). My playing style on the 8 has become something like Meshuggah influenced death. I really want definition so for some reason I imagine actives would be the way to go. Passives could give more versatility, maybe I want to play some doomier and melodic stuff. A Lundgren M8 bridge looks like a strong contender right now.

EDIT: what's the deal with Aftermaths? They used to be very popular but don't seem to be the flavor of the month anymore.

The Aftermaths are extremely dry sounding, just full attack and mids/ treble. For doomier and melodic stuff I wouldn't reccomend them at all.

The M8 is probably the best choice if you're looking for a Meshuggah type of sound.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
M8s are fabulous, and underrated for clean stuff too. I'd say toss in a Fishman set or the Lundgrens, assuming you don't mind dropping that kind of cash.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
A way to see if you'd like the Lundgrens is to pick up a set of Cepheus passives, either direct from Rondo music, or maybe used. The tonal characteristics are (to my ear) very similar to the M8, though a slightly lesser quality version. If I had the cash to grab an M8 set I would, but until then the Cepheus are pretty damn good.

Back when I played with replacing those with a more broadly versatile BKP set, the recommended the Juggernauts or the Black Dogs; of the two, I think the the BD's would hit closer to the mark. The Cold Sweat is another option; the Aftermath would be great for tech death but too dry for doomy stuff.

But yeah, overall, the M8 (or the Cepheus as a cheap stopgap).

Joan Maal

Reaction score
My vote is for the Fishman Fluence pickups.

As for strings, i am very happy with the 0.09-0.80 set from Ernie Ball (2624)

Masoo2

Reaction score
Seeing as you run a 52 for A# on a 27 inch scale, I'd probably opt for 9-42+that same 52+a 70, maybe 68

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Seeing as you run a 52 for A# on a 27 inch scale, I'd probably opt for 9-42+that same 52+a 70, maybe 68
Ibanez has a set: .009, .011, .016, .026, .036, .046, .052, .070
I have no experience with Ibanez strings, didn't know they even had strings. Wonder who makes them for them.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Ibanez has a set: .009, .011, .016, .026, .036, .046, .052, .070
I have no experience with Ibanez strings, didn't know they even had strings. Wonder who makes them for them.
Never realized they sold strings either, let alone with those gauges

That seems right up my alley for F# and Drop E