In Flames is Pop??? them's fightin words!

• Thread starter Jysan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    in flames
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:deadhrse:

"Old" In Flames > "New" In Flames

"New" In Flames > Kenny G.

Metal is metal, and uber-analyzing it is a bit facetious.

Are you fucking retarded??

That stuff is totally unnecessary, and it does nothing to add to the conversation. In fact, it detracts from the validity of the whole discussion, and probably should stop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

Reaction score
yes of course, double bass drumming and screaming with guitar solos and big hairy guys windmilling, i see that shit on top of the pops all the time, and, in flames are in fact getting some heavy air time on my local commercial radio station.....

seriously they have not 'sold out' they are not pop music they have earned success by writting quality albums consistently. If they were the pop shite that i hear all these people going on about i wouldnt have bought and enjoyed EVERY album of theirs, keep in mind my other favourite bands are Meshuggah and Nile, not exactly radio friendly.

The sad fact is that as soon as a metal band achieves success metal 'fans' dont want to know anymore because they dont think liking a popular band makes them as cool, 'grim' or 'kvlt' as liking some random band from ubequistan that records all of their albums as limited runs of ten vinyl copies produced in a cave on a snowy winters day and who never play live EVER.

If you dont like their new stuff cool but they are not pop or 'selling out' they mearly write music that they enjoy and that happens to appeal to a larger group of people than is normal compared to other similar bands.

rant\

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Will everyone please calm down?

I know I'm not a greenie but I don't need to be to see its pointless and childish. :)

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sorry mate, but if you look and read what he's said he accounts for that when he says "Pop! by todays standards, not as in popular" - or words to that effect. Don't be so aggressive if all you've done is speed read. :wavey:

I read his whole post. But whether it's pop by today's standards or by 1980s standards. BY DEFINITION: Pop = Popular. They aren't 'pop' in the same vain as Michael Jackson or the Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears, sure. But that's the reason why they're using the term 'pop' with In Flames. To make the analogy that they're trying to be 'pop' so they can sell millions of records and have millions of fans... LIKE Michael Jackson and the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears did. Also, calling them 'pop' is meant to be a derrogatory comment... cuz 'pop' in the metal community is like kryptonite.

Here's another example for you: Compare Sugar Ray's "10 Seconds Down" to "Fly"... case dismissed.

Metallica's sellout'ness doesn't even compare to In Flames'...if you could say they even have! Don't you have to get money to sell out? dumb fuck

"Selling out" never guarantees they will get money or popularity. It only guarantees that the band is changing their style/sound/image/whatever in order to appeal to a wider fan base with the intent of winning over more fans and subsequently selling more records and making more money. If I'm such a dumb fuck, why does that make perfect sense? You'd see that if you weren't such a blind fanboy.

How's that? That 'less crude' for you?
[action=Regor]still thinks In Flames sucks now and will never go to see them live ever again after having been burned 3x at their shows.[/action]

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Will everyone please calm down?

I know I'm not a greenie but I don't need to be to see its pointless and childish. :)

IMO it's pretty lame to debate about bands in the first place.

NEWS FLASH! If you don't listening to it..then DON'T and who cares what other people say? If you like it fine if not then move on :rolleyes: :2c: :flame:

Nick

Reaction score
the general argument for them 'selling out' seems to come down to 'i dont like them anymore but lots of other people do'

does anyone actually think inflames are making stupid money doing what they do?

If so you have clearly never dealt with a record label.

Yes, right now they are doing a lot better than before but they would have been poor at the point of making come clarity. Youd think that after reroute to remain and Soundtrack and STILL not making any real money theyd have just gone back to what they used to do had the change only been for the money.

Could it be that they actually just like playing what they do??

that would be a crazy idea wouldnt it.

Jysan

Banned
Reaction score
I read his whole post. But whether it's pop by today's standards or by 1980s standards. BY DEFINITION: Pop = Popular. They aren't 'pop' in the same vain as Michael Jackson or the Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears, sure. But that's the reason why they're using the term 'pop' with In Flames. To make the analogy that they're trying to be 'pop' so they can sell millions of records and have millions of fans... LIKE Michael Jackson and the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears did. Also, calling them 'pop' is meant to be a derrogatory comment... cuz 'pop' in the metal community is like kryptonite.

Here's another example for you: Compare Sugar Ray's "10 Seconds Down" to "Fly"... case dismissed.

"Selling out" never guarantees they will get money or popularity. It only guarantees that the band is changing their style/sound/image/whatever in order to appeal to a wider fan base with the intent of winning over more fans and subsequently selling more records and making more money. If I'm such a dumb fuck, why does that make perfect sense? You'd see that if you weren't such a blind fanboy.

How's that? That 'less crude' for you?
[action=Regor]still thinks In Flames sucks now and will never go to see them live ever again after having been burned 3x at their shows.[/action]

dude seriously I think a strong left would shut you right up...your bashing for the sake of bashing. I made good points and you can't handle that so you start name calling? what a punk. And NO, I'm not "fucking retarded"....I'm a fucking university honors student you prick. Someone please close this thread the "good" discussion is out the window...

Michael

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I like almost all of In Flames' albums. I think people just get too hung up on people labelling them with a bunch of genres, because the genres they get labelled with are outside of their tastes. I mean, if it's good it's good. :shrug:

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
does anyone actually think inflames are making stupid money doing what they do?

No, I doubt they are making stupid money. But, I bet they're making more money now than they have pre-Clayman era.

dude seriously I think a strong left would shut you right up...

Nope. It'd wouldn't. And I'd LOVE to see you try it. I beat cancer. I ain't scared to say anything to anyone. I think I've earned that right.

your bashing for the sake of bashing. I made good points and you can't handle that so you start name calling?

No, I'm bashing because I used to love In Flames and I'm saddened to see them turn into the band they are today. I still love their old shit and I always will. Same with Metallica. I play guitar today because of Metallica. Sucks that what happened with them happened. And I see good bands like In Flames going down the same dark path. And I've made just as equally 'good points' as you have. You can't handle the reality of 'the grass is greener on the other side'

And NO, I'm not "fucking retarded"....I'm a fucking university honors student you prick.

And I'm almost finished with my 2nd degree. What's your point? Idiots and assholes come in any educational level.

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I think it's important to accurately genrefy different bands as I don't want someone to recommend a "death metal" band to me only to be confronted with nu-metal riffs with guitar harmonies. I understand these things are subjective, but a lot of people just don't know any better:shrug:

I don't really like any era of In Flames and couldn't care less about how they sound, really, but you can guarantee if they still sounded like they did on Lunar Strain they wouldn't have a quarter of the fans they have now. Plus, when the singer has sideprojects as blatantly nu-metal as this it's kinda hard to deny that influence. Oh well.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I think it's important to accurately genrefy different bands as I don't want someone to recommend a "death metal" band to me only to be confronted with nu-metal riffs with guitar harmonies. I understand these things are subjective, but a lot of people just don't know any better:shrug:

That's actually a DAMN good point I never considered before. Well done :yesway:

Plus, when the singer has sideprojects as blatantly nu-metal as this it's kinda hard to deny that influence. Oh well.

OMG I never even heard of Passenger before. Wow. :noway: Thanks for the headsup on that one. Now I know to steer clear of that random name ;)

Jysan

Banned
Reaction score
Nope. It'd wouldn't. And I'd LOVE to see you try it. I beat cancer. I ain't scared to say anything to anyone. I think I've earned that right.

No, I'm bashing because I used to love In Flames and I'm saddened to see them turn into the band they are today. I still love their old shit and I always will. Same with Metallica. I play guitar today because of Metallica. Sucks that what happened with them happened. And I see good bands like In Flames going down the same dark path. And I've made just as equally 'good points' as you have. You can't handle the reality of 'the grass is greener on the other side'

I can handle what you're saying and I agree witha lot of it...did I ever say that older In Flames wasn't better? no...I agree that it is in many ways...but I also think the song writing is immature compared to the last 4 albums. You act like I came at your first when the first thing you replied with is "are you fuckin retarded?"...what do you expect...I grew up on the fuckin streets I don't take shit...And if you think I'm sorry for DEFENDING MYSELF because you "got sick", you're wrong. You beat cancer...awesome, truly amazing man and I definately admire the strength that took...but don't fuckin think I'm gonna bend over and take your opinion up the coat buddy. I've been through some shit you could never fucking comprehend. Have a nice day!

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
They ONLY reason I got into this post is because you said "Pop =/= Popular" and that's about one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

I've seen 'new' In Flames 3x since Clayman. And every time I see them, they play less and less of the stuff I wanna hear, and more and more of the new shit, which I think sucks.

Their new writing is more mature?? I think the stuff they wrote pre-Clayman (i.e. a shit-ton of dual guitar harmonies) takes a LOT more skill and talent to write than the newer "Lets just strum chords over and over again for a chorus"

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score

I know this is gonna come out wrong or taken wrong but I don't care. We all know by now you beat cancer. You always seem to bring it up when you can. Enough already, ok? :rolleyes:

I'm really tired "I beat cancer this and I beat cancer that" Give it a fucking rest. :wavey:

And I'm almost finished with my 2nd degree. What's your point? Idiots and assholes come in any educational level

What is this? My penis is bigger than yours debate? :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'll get some nice neg rep for these comments but as always I coud really give 2 shits what people think :2c:

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
dude seriously I think a strong left would shut you right up...your bashing for the sake of bashing. I made good points and you can't handle that so you start name calling? what a punk. And NO, I'm not "fucking retarded"....I'm a fucking university honors student you prick. Someone please close this thread the "good" discussion is out the window...

First of all, it should be:

"you're bashing for the sake of bashing". I guess you didn't do too well in University english. :D

Second, threatening another forum member is probably not a good idea.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Next person that posts inflammatory posts in this thread will get an avatar thats a picture of my sack and a 3 day ban. :yesway:

')