IN FLAMES: Man Made God (5150, Taylor Acoustics and other good shit!)

• Thread starter kev
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Reaction score
Hi dudes,

Just checking in, hope you're all ready for xmas!!!

Another cover for you that I have painstakingly attempted to recreate in all its glory this month. This one is from the In flames Colony era and is definitely one of my favourite instrumentals of all time. Did my best to get some authentic tones, which did my nut in but I’m proud of the result, and of course, you can never sleep easy if you haven’t tried to work to the best of your abilities!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/In Flames 2010 - Man Made God - Kev Parsons.mp3

A brief breakdown for you, but feel free to ask any questions:

All tracked/mixed/”mastered” in my little home studio.

Guitars: Schecter Loomis with the stock EMG’s tuned up to C standard. 5150 with Marshall cab mic’d with 2 SM57’s on a Celestion V30. Green channel boosted with a touch of TS.

Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 114CE acoustic guitar I bought this month, which is beautiful sounding in the room but always difficult to translate that to “tape”, especially in a “dead” space. A single SM81 was imported to mic it, around the 14th fret.

Bass: Lakland with Ampeg SVX for cleans, and a hint of 5150 for some nastiness. Heavily compressed and slightly decapitated.

Drums: A long time was spent listening to each hit through the record, they were programmed in Cubase and mixed with SSD drums which were slightly augmented with some other samples of mine.

Hope you enjoy, it was a fun project As always, your comments are really appreciated as there is always room for improvement.

Cheers,

~Kev

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
sounds epic.

I remember my first band, we use to cover this song when we had some shitty gigs, good times

DVRP

The HUMANCENTiPAD
Reaction score
Dude! This was so good! Playing is tight, tone is tight! Hell yeah

Richie666

Reaction score
Nice man, you totally nailed the In Flames sound. This era of their sound was pretty sweet.

Totally forgot about this song too. Isn't it a bonus track or something?

JSX212

Reaction score
that's a really sweet cover dude. Props to the playing/mixing techniques! :yesway:

guy in latvia

Reaction score
nice, sounds awesome, especialy the acoustic geets!

im assuming you used the nordstrom micing technique, in that case could you please explain how you set up the mics for the recording? do you do any phase inverting?

Tyrant

Reaction score
Sounds fantastic man, one of my fav In Flames songs :)

revclay

Reaction score
That's a great cover. Playing is excellent and I love the sound of those acoustics. You nailed that part especially. Great work.

grog50

Reaction score
Like everyone else said this is phenomenal! Acoustics are amazing, and you have a great tone with your 5150.

kev

Reaction score
Thanks all, glad you dig. I will upload the stems if anyone is interested, as someone else requested that.

Mr Violence

Reaction score
This is easily one of my favorite instrumentals ever. And you nailed every little detail. I love this so much.

')