In need of a noise gate/ supressor

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
Kind of off topic, can someone explain the different operations of these noise gates?

I have two pedals with a noise-gate function, which behave differently.

Ibanez SM7 gives me two noise-gate modes, both cut down a lot of unwanted noise with some difference between them. It seems to apply the same wave-shaping to any input signal.

Rivera Metal Shaman is fully adjustable with a Sensitivity knob and Release knob to adjust the functions of the gate.

When using either pedal with a low-tuned guitar (lower than F# on an 8), or a bass I get different results.

The SM7 remains a tight uniform distortion with noise-gating whereas the Metal Shaman will completely block low frequencies. I don't remember which note is the lowest it will allow (I havent used the pedal with a bass for months), but the majority of my B string and a few notes on the lower end of the E string make No sound when the noisegate is engaged.

Any explanations? Is this a safety feature built into the higher-end rivera pedal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sonnybb

new guy
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!! I've been leaning more towards the Smart Gate still mostly because of size but as the NS-2 seems to have won via consensus, I'm probably going for that. I'd like the tight clamp that it apparently has more than the cascading that the decimator does. I've seen all 3 used by the pros, so I know I'm not getting anything that doesn't work either way.

peldikuneptun

the septic lord
Reaction score
hurr...I've had the boss ns-2 and the mxr smart gate, neither of which were not quite what I had in mind in terms of noise gating. Then I got the rocktron guitar silencer and it's better than the two above. Mega-fast gate + the hush knob which can reduce quite a bit of the hiss. I haven't tried the Decimator - I wonder how would that compare to the rocktron, as they both have common ancestry...:think:

Reaction score
hurr...I've had the boss ns-2 and the mxr smart gate, neither of which were not quite what I had in mind in terms of noise gating. Then I got the rocktron guitar silencer and it's better than the two above. Mega-fast gate + the hush knob which can reduce quite a bit of the hiss. I haven't tried the Decimator - I wonder how would that compare to the rocktron, as they both have common ancestry...:think:

I've been told by someone in the industry that one or more engineers left Rocktron and formed ISP Technologies. So yeah...

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
But thats whitechapel...not killswitch

Both bands require quick stops on their signal, what difference does it make what band uses what?

The point is try out as many as you can and make up your own mind. When I had my Bugera rig, I snagged a Decimator pedal from eBay for, I think, $100. It was perfect.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I'd say that the NS2 is probably the only pedal in it's price range with 2 stage filtering. If pedal noise is contributing to your issues, I'd go NS2 without question.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Both bands require quick stops on their signal, what difference does it make what band uses what?

The point is try out as many as you can and make up your own mind. When I had my Bugera rig, I snagged a Decimator pedal from eBay for, I think, $100. It was perfect.

He was replying to a post talking talking about Adam from killswitch, but talking about whitechapel. I was simply under the assumption that he had confused adam with another band

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Ill throw in my two cents. The NS-2 gets the job done for me no problem. Stops as quickly as I need it to, stays tight, never had any problems. And honestly, I like the subtle change in tone it has, it gets rid of those REALLY high frequencies, which is nice considering im playing through a Triple X. For some reason it seems to tame the fizz a bit. I hear that the pre-2005 models were tonally transparent though. The tone loss in the newer models is supposed to be caused by boss switching from a lead based solder to something less conductive. So if youre REALLY worried about tone loss, try to find a pre-05 model. And finally, I bet the living fuck out of mine and it still works just fine. I would probably be too scared to use another company just on the fact that im not sure it would take as big of a beating as boss pedals do. Other than that though, Im not a big boss guy, the NS-2 seems to be magic though:agreed:

')