Incorporating a pedal into a guitar?

ONE

He who is cake.
Reaction score
I'm gonna be doing a guitar build sometime soon (hopefully) and I was wondering if its possible to take apart a pedal and literally add the insides to your guitar with wiring to make the pedal function as it normally would but just on the inside of the guitar. The pedal I have in mind is simple 2 knob distortion pedal.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
Well, that's a lot of components to put into a guitar. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you'll need quite a bit of room in order to keep all that stuff inside your axe. Further, it's just more stuff to go wrong with the electrical wiring of your guitar. I don't mean to pry or sound rude, but why on earth would you want to do this?

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
I've been considering this for a few years.

I wanted to try it with an Ibanez SM7. You could either make new holes through the cavity to allow the knobs to stick out in the same area where the guitar's volume/tone would be or an easier method could be to make the holes in the cavity plate and have the pedal controls accessed from the back so you don't have to mod the guitar's wood or stock appearance. The latter would work decent with pedals like the SM7 because you can lock the settings and not worry about rubbing the knobs out of place, as they can be pushed in flush.

I think it's a neat idea you don't see often.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
I keep wondering why no one has made a guitar with a tubescreamer built into it haha. Try it!

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
I looked into this a while ago, but my idea is to rebuild a tubescreamer circuit using entirely surface mounted components. I can get the board really small. As in probably less than the size of the battery or close to it. Then just have some little trim pots for tone gain and volume.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
They can incorporate an entire MIDI pas into a guitar, why not a few knobs and a board? I don't know if you'd be able to fit it into the existing cavity, but worth a short. I'd personally try to install it below "grade" on the back with new controls to maintain the sleek look of the guitar, but that'd probably require an immenser amount of additional work...

Updates would be cool regardless if you decide to go through with it!

Syriel

owns a .strandberg*
Reaction score
I've always thought that installing a tube screamer circuit inside the guitar would be cool. Or even your favorite boost pedal installed in your guitar that you can hit when you're soloing.

Go for it mate. :yesway:

blanco

Reaction score
You should check out Manson guitar. They make Matt Bellamy's guitar and loads of similar style guitars with fuzz factories and midi controller screens all built in.

bhakan

Reaction score
It is definitely doable, though it might require a lot of modding. Matt Bellamy from Muse has a Fuzz Factory in his guitar, and I'd think a 2 knob distortion would be significantly easier.

')