Increasing String Tension But Not Gauge ?

• Thread starter jtm45
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jtm45

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question but is there any way to increase the tension of the strings on a 7 string(the low B in particular) without resorting to heavier gauge strings ?

I've got .58 low B's on both of my 7 strings at the moment and the tension is fine but I'd much prefer a lighter low B if I could get the same tension with one.

I've seen quite a few people saying that they use .52 low B's. What are they doing to their guitars to allow such a light low B to be used and still get enough tension ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's relative - I'm sure there's a few sickos out there who think .52 is plenty tension for a low B.

More importantly, if you like the tension of a .58, why would you want a lighter guage? :lol:

-D

EverDream

Reaction score
That's actually a very good question I think!
I understand completely, to me the thinner the strings the faster I can play, and the solution is to get the longest guitar possible that you can comfortably play still and of course that still intonates at the tuning you desire, since I got my schecter I no longer need to use 10-60 for standard B anymore, instead 9-56 would work (my schecter is 26.5") if it was even longer then you could even use lighter gauge strings at B and still have proper tension. Of course longer guitar means that you might not be able to play as fast too, so it's kinda like offsetting the idea, so you really have to find a good balance, so if you use a 25.5" length guitar and use 58 on the low B, then on a longer guitar like the Schecter Damien, Hellraiser, 007 or C7 blackjack (or even some of those discontinued 27" Ibanez ones) you will probably find that either 52 or 54 would work and have the same tension as the 58 on your 25.5" at B. (that's if you use a 25.5" cuz I don't know, lol)

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
It's relative - I'm sure there's a few sickos out there who think .52 is plenty tension for a low B.

More importantly, if you like the tension of a .58, why would you want a lighter guage? :lol:

-D

Hey I resemble that remark :lol:

Actually, I use .54s and find them just dandy. The D'Addario 9-54 pack is all I use on 7-string.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
jtm45 said:
This is probably a dumb question but is there any way to increase the tension of the strings on a 7 string(the low B in particular) without resorting to heavier gauge strings ?
Keeping frequency and scale length fixed, the only way to increase tension is to increase the mass density of the string. The only way to do this while maintaining the string gauge is to use a denser material than nickel (or whatever comprises the string).

See this site: http://www.hago.org.uk/guitars/faqs/formulae.html

Disclaimer: I'm a physicist.

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If not lower tension, what are you trying to achieve with a lower string gauge? A different sound? Feel?

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Wound strings derive their tension from the core (plain middle bit) of the string.
The outer winding adds mass thus slows down the vibration of the string ie. lowers the pitch.
Manufacturers can vary the gauges of the the core vs. winding and create wound strings with slightly different tensions but the same outside diameter.
For example a 42 gauge could be made with a 16 core and a 13 wind (13 + 16 + 13)
The same gauge could be made with a 20 core and an 11 wind.
As giannifive said the most effective way would be to increase the mass of the steels used.
Stainless strings are slightly higher tension than nickel plated for example.
However, changing the type of metal used to make a string can drastically affect the magnetic properties and tone of it.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
BTW a double wound .060 bass string has a smoother feel and will grind on the pick less, you might find it 'feels' smaller

jtm45

Reaction score
Yeah,it is very interesting!

To answer your question Drew, it's just that i find that i can play with greater agility with a lighter gauge low B but without the tension i find it difficult to speed-pick fast enough.

I think the fact that I've played a 6 string for quite a while and have only recently changed over to a 7 is a factor as well.

I think I'm just going to have to get used to using the .58 low B. It should build up the strength in my picking hand too. I think i'll experiment with different brands of string as well to see if that makes any difference.

I think the tremolo on my 2027 makes a difference to the feel of the tension too. The same gauge strings on my Dino seem to have more tension and the only thing that I can think it might be is the fact that with the trem the strings 'give' slightly when you hit them giving the impression of less overall tension (or maybe not?).

Thanks for the info anyway guys :shred: .

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
jtm45 said:
I think the tremolo on my 2027 makes a difference to the feel of the tension too. The same gauge strings on my Dino seem to have more tension and the only thing that I can think it might be is the fact that with the trem the strings 'give' slightly when you hit them giving the impression of less overall tension (or maybe not?).

The trem is DEFINITELY a factor in perceived tension, for exactly those reasons.

-D

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
giannifive said:
Disclaimer: I'm a physicist.
hey, me too! :)

i got my BS in Physics with Astrophysics Concentration from the University of Cincinnati.

...and, discovered the density issue when i bought a set of Blue Steels for my floating bridge guitar. it had never occured to me until, after putting them on, my bridge was coming up out of the body too much. so, apparently, the Blue Steels, while still the same gauge, were denser than the D'Addario's that i set the guitar up for.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
Hey I resemble that remark :lol:

Actually, I use .54s and find them just dandy. The D'Addario 9-54 pack is all I use on 7-string.

:eek: You must be a fantastically subtle player. I'm currently using a .060 on a 26 1/2" scale! I like to slam those babies. :mad: I guess I just don't have the light touch that some of you guys have. :(

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
nyck said:
How would a .58 feel when tuned to A? Is it tight when it's tuned to B?

Just a bit looser. Reduction in tension=reduction in pitch. Depends on the scale length as well. I'm using a .060 on a 26 1/2" scale, but I'm heavy handed. :cool:

')