Incredibly overpriced guitars

• Thread starter Efilnikufesin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
274648fb9f945f239.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
You guys ripping on the Blackmachine pricing are going to love what Doug's planning at the moment. :lol:

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
i hope i don't get neg repped for this, but, caparisons. i say this without ever having picked one up, but they are very expensive considering they aren't made in america... i'm sure they play amazingly well, and sound fantastic, or they wouldn't have the following they do, but they cost as much as some customs, hell they are up there in price with the KxK Sii runs!

My friend's Horus is definately worth their price IMO. But at the same time, yeah, you could get a decent custom for the same.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Overpriced, hard to determine. I know I personally am fine with playing a decent Epiphone instead of a real Gibson. Same with Ibanez... I play an RG570CT and an S7320, I don't feel that paying more than twice as much for a signature Jem, JS or whatever will actually give me a significantly better guitar. I've played such guitars quite often, in shops, or when playing with friends who have them... But they never gave me the idea "Wow, this is such a great guitar". In fact, usually I preferred my own guitar.

I just walk around a shop, play guitars unplugged, and listen and feel their resonance and acoustic qualities. I buy it if it sounds good, I don't really care if it's a 'low end' model or a 'budget brand'. I swap pickups if required, but in my opinion some stock pickups are a lot better than given credit for.
Above a certain price level, I can't really tell a difference in sound quality. Or well, I've found some 'cheap' guitars that happen to sound really good, and some very expensive ones that were quite 'dead'. Perhaps it's more the luck of the draw at that point anyway, wood is still a natural product, which is rather unpredictable.

So for me, yea, most guitars are overpriced. The difference is too small for me personally to notice, but perhaps I'm just not good enough a guitarist to notice that sort of thing. It only works to my advantage anyway.
Same goes for pickups... I've swapped out the Epiphone pickups with real Gibsons, that made quite a difference. But I had some DiMarzio's in my RG570CT, and ended up going back to the stock pickups, because they actually sounded better to me. Some people would probably settle for the guitar sounding less good, just because they could say "Mine has DiMarzio pickups!".

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
Blackmachine aren't "incredibly overpriced", well maybe if you live in a country with a sucky economy, but in terms of the English market they're actually pretty cheap (or atleast were)...they're made in England don't forget, if he charged any less he wouldn't be able to eat, let alone build guitars.

I think that Gibsons are overpriced for the current quality of their output.

70Seven

Ibanez Foerever!!!
Reaction score
I personally never like to pay more than 1000-1200$ dollars for a high end guitar, everything more than that I don't really need. I don't have a band or record so just for home use around 1K is my limit. I got two made in Japan Ibanez RG and the schecter Loomis 7, all in the 1K price range (Loomis was less) and there all great, high end guitars. I'm sure some of the 2K and 3K+ guitars play great, but I dont think its worth the extra couple thousands for the guitar. So IMO allot of guitars are overpriced.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Overpriced, hard to determine. I know I personally am fine with playing a decent Epiphone instead of a real Gibson. Same with Ibanez... I play an RG570CT and an S7320, I don't feel that paying more than twice as much for a signature Jem, JS or whatever will actually give me a significantly better guitar. I've played such guitars quite often, in shops, or when playing with friends who have them... But they never gave me the idea "Wow, this is such a great guitar". In fact, usually I preferred my own guitar.

I just walk around a shop, play guitars unplugged, and listen and feel their resonance and acoustic qualities. I buy it if it sounds good, I don't really care if it's a 'low end' model or a 'budget brand'. I swap pickups if required, but in my opinion some stock pickups are a lot better than given credit for.
Above a certain price level, I can't really tell a difference in sound quality. Or well, I've found some 'cheap' guitars that happen to sound really good, and some very expensive ones that were quite 'dead'. Perhaps it's more the luck of the draw at that point anyway, wood is still a natural product, which is rather unpredictable.

So for me, yea, most guitars are overpriced. The difference is too small for me personally to notice, but perhaps I'm just not good enough a guitarist to notice that sort of thing. It only works to my advantage anyway.
Same goes for pickups... I've swapped out the Epiphone pickups with real Gibsons, that made quite a difference. But I had some DiMarzio's in my RG570CT, and ended up going back to the stock pickups, because they actually sounded better to me. Some people would probably settle for the guitar sounding less good, just because they could say "Mine has DiMarzio pickups!".
value is something someone determines themself and that's why threads like this suck ass

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
incredibly overpriced?

probably most of them.

[action=budda] leaves to play the guitar he spent $1550 on that would maybe fetch $850 now, only he doesnt give a fuck because he's never selling it :)[/action]

Xtremevillan

im leaving ss.org
Contributor
Reaction score
i hope i don't get neg repped for this, but, caparisons. i say this without ever having picked one up, but they are very expensive considering they aren't made in america... i'm sure they play amazingly well, and sound fantastic, or they wouldn't have the following they do, but they cost as much as some customs, hell they are up there in price with the KxK Sii runs!

As the owner of one and potentially two, I agree.

goth_fiend

Reaction score
the kiko loureiro esp, im sorry but im not willing to pay $6,500 for a guitar, period, I realise its a custom shop model, but seriously my car cost me that much.

DslDwg

Reaction score
:agreed:
Thank you if someone didn't beat me to it, I would have put it. The ridiculous part is Eddie put the original together for something like $200 and they ask $25,000 for this thing. I'm sure it is very time intensive to make it just like eddies with cigarette burn marks and all - but $25,000 worth please :fawk:.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
nice trolling man :lol:

I'd say that guitar were original if it weren't a straight-up stephen carpenter copy lol

Hehe, only thing is that Doug was building these before the SC sigs came out, from 2003 or so... And I've never seen a 30mm thick SC sig with a one piece ebony top and BKPs! :spock:

Anyway:

In this country most USA guitars are overpriced. All USA amps are stupidly expensive.

And I still don't get the whole relic thing. Like I don't get paying extra for ripped jeans...

noob_pwn

Reaction score
i put my 2 cents in for the Jeff Hanneman signiture ESP's

sure hes in slayer which just happens to be my favourite band but far out his stuff is heads above all the other ESP sig series guitars in price when all it really is is a neck through M-II with a different trem (in some cases) and an extra EMG control. A standard series neck through M-II in urban camo falls well short of a standard series hanneman sig with a floyd trem and the only difference between them is the inlays & signiture on the headstock.

but hes in slayer
:spock:

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
cocaineguitar.jpg

SOLID COCAINE GUITAR...
La Repubblica have a story (Google translation) and pictures about a 30-something guy who flew from Costa Rica to Fiumicino airport in Rome with a guitar (a black Squier Strat, with the label still on the scratchplate) and 10 thermos flasks in his luggage. The customs official noticed white powder leaking out of the guitar which tested positive for cocaine.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
^ Yeah, but is that guitar overpriced or not?

my old SRC was 2001 and it wasn't the first year of production...

Ah, OK, my bad... ooops! :scratch: :wallbash: Probably just me but I don't recall seeing any SC sigs that far back.

')