Incredibly overpriced guitars

• Thread starter Efilnikufesin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Efilnikufesin

Reaction score
Look I'm sure there are some guitars out there that are amazing, but some are just ridiculously too much money. I was wondering which guitars you guys have seen which just blow your mind at the price. Here's one I saw on Music123: Fender Masterbuilt Crash Stratocaster Electric Guitar and Pro Jr. Amp Set Solid Body Electric Guitars at Music123.

you're paying $24000 for a piece of a painting. WTF? I'm sure it's a great guitar but seriously? Come on, I can buy fender parts and put it together like this for $1500 tops. Hell, I could probably make something better.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rvoteary

Cocaine Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current Universe in Canada, my local music store quoted me somewhere around 3k..

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Anyone who puts Blackmachine in this thread will be getting neg repped. :squint:
+1
My first thought was that Blackmachine would be brought up in this thread.

Considering that they're American, Conklin seem priced fairly above average. I'm sure they're amazing instruments though. Same goes for the big name custom shops - ESP, Jackson etc
Then there are the premium reissue signature models Fender et al are putting out.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
The PRS Dragons always got me, £25,000 and it was a £2000 CE 24 with £23,000 worth of paintjob....

joshc482

Reaction score
i designed a esp custom M model i believe the model was and i didnt even get to choose the neck woods or if i wanted a 6 or 7 string and it was $6000. insane considering it was a bare bones design satin grey 1 volume knob with 1 lundgren pickup and floyd rose. just stupidly overpriced.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
The PRS Dragons always got me, £25,000 and it was a £2000 CE 24 with £23,000 worth of paintjob....

thats not a paint job, its inlayed.

prs20dragon202002wa9.jpg

Efilnikufesin

Reaction score
yeah, the dragon is worth it. PRSs are great guitars and thats a beautiful inlay. But some PRS's too are like a thousand bucks overpriced. My opinion is that unless a guitar is ungodly amazing ,has absolutely beautiful one of a kind artwork in it, or has some kind of historical significance, it shouldn't go over $3000. No matter how good a guitar is, you can almost always find something at least almost as good for under $2000. There are certainly some exceptions but for the most part the rule stands.

edit: It should also be noted that since most guitars are customizable, with a few modifications, that almost as good guitar can become even better. I don't know about you, but I'd be very wary messing with a $3000 instrument.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Most ESP's (or should I say LTD's) cost too much.

New Gibsons, the price of the new standards are ridiculous.

Jackson USA's (Over here you're looking at about £1700)

Fender Relic's

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Any Relic guitar, esp ones from like the 60s that are so rusted/etc they dont even work, so its basically a "Look what I have" guitar, for like $100,000 or whatever crap they go for.

I generally think most Gibsons and Fenders are overpriced. For what they are anyways, I rather have a custom KxK for the same price as a standard Gibson.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Holy balls! Look at that PRS! Amazing. But not £23,000 worth.

Yeah in my mind the top of the line production models ESP, Ibanez and whoever else always charge fiendishly large sums for guitars that a lot of the time, turn out looking pretty standard. In australia we'll cop the following from ESP:
AU$5,795 - ESP Lynch Kamikaze
AU$6,495 - ESP DV-8 Dave Mustaine
AU$7,495 - ESP KH2 Vintage
AU$7,995 - ESP Alexi Laiho
and wait for it...
For an ESP Armor Custom shop series...
AU$47,995.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Anyone who puts Blackmachine in this thread will be getting neg repped. :squint:
nice trolling man :lol:

I'd say that guitar were original if it weren't a straight-up stephen carpenter copy lol

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
i hope i don't get neg repped for this, but, caparisons. i say this without ever having picked one up, but they are very expensive considering they aren't made in america... i'm sure they play amazingly well, and sound fantastic, or they wouldn't have the following they do, but they cost as much as some customs, hell they are up there in price with the KxK Sii runs!

')