'Indestructible' Jazz Pick

• Thread starter Ricky Roro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

t_rod

Reaction score
Just ordered a Gravity pick with master finish. I like how it can help get that "scratchy" sound for palm muting but I hope its good for leads too...

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
I have the Sunrise, Edge, Classic, and Razer from Gravity. Ranging from 1.5mm all the way to 3mm. I've ordered master finish, grip hole, as well as the wave finish. The best combo for me personally (i like jazz III's originally), is:

Edge in Big Mini size, 2.0mm with either the grip hole or the wave finish. The "master" finish adds too much resistance for my tastes. And its gotta be the florescent green color, its crazy bright even in dimly lit situations so if you drop it you can find it easily.

Runner up is the Razer Standard size with the wave finish, i think its 1.5mm.

I went through a couple orders to find the right one, but its worked out now, and Gravity always throws in a random pick to try which is a bonus!

heero22

Reaction score
I would check out the Dunlop 474r Jazz Stubby picks, they're made of Lexan (similar to acryillic) and come in 1,2, or 3mm gauges. I use the 3mm ones and they seem to last pretty long, and the points of them have never softened (the sides have but its a normal thing with all picks.) I would also invest in some 220 grit sand paper to prolong the life of any pick.

Omura

Reaction score
Also you could flick Patrick an email, I have a green drop, it's pretty damn tough, and easily my favourite pick. He has a material he's calling huftron, which is the hardest material he currently works with. It takes 2 hours of grinding and sanding to make one of them, I expect it would be pretty impossible to wear that out. Devilishly expensive though

t_rod

Reaction score
Recieved my gravity picks yesterday and I'm really enjoying them. The master finish adds a nice feel to it and also sounds heavier. I haven't spent much time with them but they feel like they will last quite a while.

Reaction score
I use the 1.5mm Tortex IIIs and those last me for ages, and they are dirt cheap at a music shop near me so I practically buy them in bulk!

These things:
CAlfb5p.jpg

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
i have been looking into this as well. but cant decide on Winspear or Gravity. anyone here try both?

t_rod

Reaction score
What shapes did you end up with?
Both were Sunrise Big mini with master finish.
I ordered a 1.5m and they sent me a 2mm with a key hole. I'm glad they didn't send some random shape and just sent the same one in a different size. I've already begun to wear the tip on the 1.5mm though :/. Its actually a little better this way as its wearing quite nicely, almost like its breaking in. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks though.

bluffalo

Reaction score
i use the green tortex picks, and when they get dull i sharpen the point by rubbing them on carpet. they sharpen up with about 3 quick strokes on each side.

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
just got a couple Gravity picks to try out. so far, im really liking em.

Classic Big Mini, and my fave, Sunrise Big Mini

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
I bought a jazz-style stone pick from picksandstones back in 2007 and it is still my main pick 7 years later. Not a single sign of wear, it just glides across the strings. The only minor issue I have with it is the naturally percussive sound, which is great for 90% of my playing, but for the latter 10% I would like something a little softer. The stone kinda makes a "tick" sound when it hits the string. It's much more musical than the "flick" sound you get with plastic picks, but it does add a certain percussive character to the tone. I had a Red Bear for a while, which did a great job with the smooth, fluid stuff, but started to wear pretty quickly. It eventually got eaten by sow bugs. Yup, that happened. I think it killed them too, because when I eventually found the half-eaten pick it was surrounded by dead sow bugs. Creepy eh? Read Bear: Tasty and toxic to bugs.

Ricky Roro

Christian
Reaction score
I also sent an email to Dunlop to ask about it. They sent me a bag of different Jazz picks to try. These are more of initial reactions than in-depth review:

JP Jazz III - It keeps its point better than some others. It is slightly larger than my other picks, so I find it a bit less comfortable. I think that the durability is probably comparable to the standard Ultex Jazz III picks. It feels smoother to play, which can be good or bad depending on your style; it is likely good for leads (hence John Petrucci).

Max Grip Jazz III (Black) - This is also fairly durable. They do not seem to produce quite as bright of a tone as the hard Ultex.

Max Grip Jazz III (Grey) - This seems slightly more flexible than the black version. It might be .5mm thinner. It seems to have slightly less 'treble attack' because of it.

"205 USA" - It is bright and hard, which I like, but in an unfamiliar shape. The point is not as sharp as the Jazz picks. When using it I am concerned that I might drop it.

"Stubby 3mm" - I like the hardness of the material and brightness of the tone, but the sides wear down fairly quickly and start catching on strings. Even if the scratching is only mild at first, I want my picking to feel as consistent as possible.

Unlabeled ~4mm pick [Primetone?] - I feel more awkward when using this to pick out certain notes. It might be just because I am not used to using it, but I feel like I play less accurately when using it. Its tone is warmer since you are always hitting more of the string at once. I want to try one on a bass guitar some time.

"Primetone 1.5/Sculpted Plectra" [standard, with grip] - This is not my kind of pick, but it is not bad. It seems to work best for strumming or playing in some style other than mine.

With all things considered, I think that for now I will keep using the Jazz III 2.0 picks, but I also bought a few of the carbon-fiber Max Grip Jazz picks to try. The most similar Jazz picks seem not to be quiet as hard of material (or perhaps just not quite as defined of an edge) and so are not quite as bright.

EDIT:
Ultex Jazz III 2.0: enhanced treble attack
Max Grip Jazz III: enhanced mid attack

')