Indestructible molecules?

• Thread starter The Atomic Ass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
I recently watched an old movie, entitled "Man in the White Suit". In this movie a chemist invents a new type of cloth, which is described as a single long-chain molecule.

The cloth made from this molecule was supposedly indestructible, since you'd have to break the molecule to damage it.

Not knowing that much about molecular science myself, hopefully someone here may know, if a molecule were so long that it could be held in both hands like a rope, could you pull it apart?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Well, you wouldn't be able to pull an atom apart, the bonds between atoms however are relatively strong, but not nearly strong enough to withstand physical force. Graphene is a good example since it's one carbon atom thick, paper is also length-wise one long cellulose molecule, and paper can be quite easily torn apart.

"A molecule if that length would not be hard at all to pull apart" is my shorter answer.

riffer_madness

Reaction score
FYI: The only "thing" that is indestructible is pure consciousness which is the only real part of you. It is massless and outside the limitations of the temporary logical construct that you perceive as "reality".

wat

Reaction score
FYI: The only "thing" that is indestructible is pure consciousness which is the only real part of you. It is massless and outside the limitations of the temporary logical construct that you perceive as "reality".

Lololwat. l there is no real conclusive evidence that death doesn't effectively destroy consciousness.

Lol dude that is like the worst kind of new age Joe Rogan type crap that you just spouted off as fact

riffer_madness

Reaction score
Lololwat. l there is no real conclusive evidence that death doesn't effectively destroy consciousness.

Lol dude that is like the worst kind of new age Joe Rogan type crap that you just spouted off as fact

Died twice. Once when I was 8 years old and once when I was 19. Remember everything that happened both times. I speak from experience.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Died twice. One when I was 8 years old and once when I was 19. Remember everything that happened both times. I speak from experience.

That doesn't support your claim though. People can awake just fine after being clinically dead for a short time. Brain activity doesn't completely stop upon death.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Molecules get pulled apart all the time, pulled some apart in order to type this.

riffer_madness

Reaction score
That doesn't support your claim though. People can awake just fine after being clinically dead for a short time. Brain activity doesn't completely stop upon death.

I hear ya. No way to convince anyone... It's a "gotta experience it to know" kind of thing. :flame:

Edika

Reaction score
There is a different way of expressing molecular connections and what was Jakke referring to was a crystal structure, albeit a "two" dimensional crystal structure.
This is the definition of molecule:
"The smallest particle of a substance that retains the chemical and physical properties of the substance and is composed of two or more atoms; a group of like or different atoms held together by chemical forces."
To consider that something is one molecule it means that there should not be any reproducible components, which would be unnecessary complicated and non energy efficient thus prone to defects and easier to break down. Polymers can be considered as big chain molecules but they are a repetition of one certain molecule. It all has to do with the atomic forces in molecules and then molecular forces between molecules.

For the rest I have no opinion as there is no concrete scientific proof, just speculation and personal experiences in an altered state of perception that can't be measured or quantified.

riffer_madness

Reaction score
You were dead, but you did not die. Being dead can happen for short amounts of time, dying is permanent.

My bod was pronounced dead twice. I, the eternal me, was out and about having a great ol' time (well, looking back now I know things were not as they seemed at the time, BUT the way it felt was AMAZING!!!! NO WORDS CAN DESCRIBE), then when my magical mystery tours were concluded BAM! I was back in the body to the amazement of all. I'm not the only person this has happened to. Lots of interesting accounts by many others.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
And being pronounced dead is done by people, and people are fallible. Yeah, this happens to some people, and the reason they "trip" is pretty well established. It's about oxygen to the brain, and when said oxygen is cut off. If it is cut off, the brain begins to hallucinate, which is what is often called "near death experiences".

We are as a matter of fact remarkably sturdy creatures, and we can survive quite a lot.

riffer_madness

Reaction score
And being pronounced dead is done by people, and people are fallible. Yeah, this happens to some people, and the reason they "trip" is pretty well established. It's about oxygen to the brain, and when said oxygen is cut off. If it is cut off, the brain begins to hallucinate, which is what is often called "near death experiences".

We are as a matter of fact remarkably sturdy creatures, and we can survive quite a lot.

I hear ya. Both times were in an emergency room, no activity on EEG (brain) and ECG (heart) for the times I mentioned earlier. I was gone. Seriously and for real. Like I said before, it's a gotta-experience-it kind of thing to get past speculation and whatnot. No biggy if you don't believe it. We can still be guitar-wielding buds! :hbang:

Hammer

Reaction score

Isn't the brain secreting DMT or something close to it near death?

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
It's about oxygen to the brain, and when said oxygen is cut off. If it is cut off, the brain begins to hallucinate, which is what is often called "near death experiences".

Not trying to keep this derail going, and I'm quite objective, but that doesn't explain how many people that died were able to see and describe in fine detail all the details of the scene they were in from outside of their body.

The real killer is why some people that die for a period of time have no experiences while some others do. Interesting stuff to say the least, even if it has absolutely ZERO to do with the OP's topic :lol:

Rev.

Reaction score
Not trying to keep this derail going, and I'm quite objective, but that doesn't explain how many people that died were able to see and describe in fine detail all the details of the scene they were in from outside of their body.

The real killer is why some people that die for a period of time have no experiences while some others do. Interesting stuff to say the least, even if it has absolutely ZERO to do with the OP's topic :lol:

Rev.
+1

riffer_madness

Reaction score

Rev.

Sorry for the derail. Won't happen again... :flame:

Latest posts

')