Inexpensive (but decent) Tuning Machines

• Thread starter ElRay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know this has been touched on before, but things change.

I'm finally sourcing parts for a super (somewhat?) simplified version of the build I've been planning for years. Since this is a first build, and not (by far) my dream build, I'm not looking to spend a tremendous amount on parts, but I'm not wanting to go with "I'll regret it sooner than later" cheapo parts.

So, does anybody have experience with decent, but inexpensive tuning machines? I know folks have gotten good buys on eBay, but there's no guarantee that the current crop of items is as good as the previous ones recommended.

I'm hoping for:
  • Black
  • 6 In-Line (not reverse) -- I'd love 4+2, but the only inexpensive ones I've seen are from GuitarFetish, but they're chrome and not 18:1
  • High Ratio (18:1 or better, but I know I can't be too picky)
  • Locking (again, I know I can't be too picky)

There are some open-back, 18:1 Waverley Tuners that look pretty decent; however I'm not finding them in 6 in-line and black.

Ray

EDIT: I should add that I'm looking at GFS Pick-ups, that will likely run me just over $60 for the set. And I picked-up six Rondo single-string bridge/saddle combos for $40. I'd feel a bit odd spending more on the tuners than the pick-ups or bridge/saddles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Hey Ray

I found Planet Waves to be good and you can find them decently priced on Amazon.

They have awesome customer service too!

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
Sorry to be slightly off topic, but I've seen 18:1 everywhere... what exactly does that mean?

I'm also looking for different tuners (mine are super touchy)

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry to be slightly off topic, but I've seen 18:1 everywhere... what exactly does that mean?

I'm also looking for different tuners (mine are super touchy)

That's the gear ratio. So, it would take 18 turns to make the post turn one complete. revolution. The lower the number, the more "touchy" it becomes.

BillNephew

Reaction score
I've had a great experience with Guitarfetish. I've used these before on several project guitars that I built up just for fun and have had great results. Same thing about their pickups, but YMMV.

Levi79

Reaction score
Just grab some Gotoh non locking tuners. They're awesome tuners and last you, but aren't as expensive as Hipshots or Sperzels. LMII has them priced pretty well IIRC.

xeL

Reaction score
I had some wilkinson non locking tuners on a Vintage brand guitar, whilst I fail at re-stringing without locking tuners I found the stability and smoothness very nice when In use, comparable to the winged locking tuners on my PRS.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Id go with Sperzel.
Not 18:1 but you can have the 4+2 locking in black for 58 bucks.
Sperzel Locking Tuners

This is true. They are a little sensitive, but very solid and won't budge once you get them set. The truly miraculous thing is that they can be flipped, so if you buy one set you'll be able to make any combination you desire by dismantling the tuner and moving the button to the other side.

ras1988

Reaction score
Hipshot, end of story and I think you can get them drop shipped from Todd at TK instruments for cheaper than through any other outlet. They have a really nice positive lock, high quality, high gear ratio, good feel to them and they are light weight. The tunning buttons are also huge so easier to grip and tune up just an amazing product all around.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I found Planet Waves to be good and you can find them decently priced on Amazon.
$50 ain't bad, but Planet Waves trim-locks might be like putting a spoiler on a station wagon (mini-van for you youngins) :lol:.

I'm keeping it fanned and Ergo-shaped, but everything else is being simplified. I've already spent about $30 on the Rondo Saddle/Bridges and I'm looking at using GFS Lil' Puncher XL Tele Bridge pick-ups ("Vintage Wound" for the neck and "Modern Wound" for the bridge), so I'd feel odd about spending more on the tuning machines than the pick-ups. :lol:

I could always get good ones now, and re-use them on a future build.

Ray

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've had a great experience with Guitarfetish...

I'm looking at getting the pick-ups from them. I did email them, and the only 18:1 tuners they have are the Waverley Open-Back -- I'd go with them, but they're Chrome. I've already bought black bridge hardware.

Ray

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Wow. These look good. The picture says 19:1, but the text didn't. I guess that's why my searches didn't find anything. -- But even if the ratio was in the text, the search wouldn't have found "1:19".

Do you have a set of these from this vendor? They're off-brand, but sometimes they're a good deal, sometimes the vendor sells lemons.

Ray

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just grab some Gotoh non locking tuners. They're awesome tuners and last you, but aren't as expensive as Hipshots or Sperzels. LMII has them priced pretty well IIRC.
Hmmmm, do you have a link to the item(s)? I checked LMII while looking at truss rods, and I didn't see any tuners that were black and less than $60 for a set.

I'm shooting for an inexpensive, but not cheap, first build, and I'm hesitant to spend more on tuners than I likely will on pick-ups.

Ray

')