Inexpensive six string pickups?

• Thread starter gazooba
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gazooba

wannabe djentleman
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've done a lot of searching and haven't quite found what I need.

I'm fixing up my old Squier Strat six string...it needs a new pickguard...perfect time to examine the possibility for new pickups, which I know nothing about sadly :scratch:

I play metal and syncopated styles, so I'm looking for something hot and tight.

I'm a poor student and don't really want to spend more than like 150 bucks on this thing. Is that an unreasonable goal?
The guitar is currently set up with S-S-H, but it is routed to allow for H-H-H, so I could get any combination. Maybe just one really good quality pickup? ...Sucks to be on a tight budget. :erk:

Any recommendations for cheap but decent pickups? Other wisdom?
Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
$50 per pickup isn't too bad of a budget if you're doing 3. GFS are a great bargain, but you can probably swing some used Dimarzios at that price point.

snowblind56

Reaction score
Depending what pickups you are looking at, you can get Duncans or Dimarzio's for around $30 a pickup used. Watch ebay. Watch a lot of ebay. You can get deals if you spend the time.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Id really recommend GHS. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I would dare to say some of them are on par with Dimarzio and Duncan.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
GFS
Artec
Dragonfire
Guitarheads

Some of these are either built or designed by Artec originally.

Inazone

Reaction score
GFS
Artec
Dragonfire
Guitarheads

Some of these are either built or designed by Artec originally.

Look for the "Hex" pickups on the GFS Clearance page, or for the Guitarheads equivalent. I have some in one of my Jacksons, and liked them so much that I recorded every solo on my band's upcoming album with them. I had guitars with Duncan, DiMarzio, Lawrence and Armstrong pickups to choose from, but those Hex pickups (well, the bridge pickup) gave the best results.

Steve-Om

Reaction score
I also have to add to the GFS' good rep.

I have a set of Crunchy Pats in my Jackson and they are great

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
GFS FTW!!! :metal: :hbang: :shred:
When I get my new guitar I hope it's not too dark for a set of Crunchy Rails, because I love that pickup in my strat right now, however it's a bit too bright 'cause of the Alder body + Maple neck & fretboard. EQ fixes it nicely enough though. I suggest going for the Power Rails in a Strat, I'm not sure about getting that for the neck though as it's ceramic.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Id really recommend GHS. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I would dare to say some of them are on par with Dimarzio and Duncan.

:agreed: I've tried quite a few but to be honest, for what you are talking about playing, I recommend GFS Crunchy Rails- Our Hottest- Modern Metal Power- Black

To be honest I really dug these when I had them in my cheap SX RG copy.

That being said, you could possibly find Dimarzio's for that price if you catch the right auction. X2Ns and D-Activators would work.

The other suggestion I have are the GPO actives modelled after the EMG 81 and 85:

Guitar Parts Online

Mordacain

Reaction score
Oh forgot one other thing:

Calibrated Set of 3 Lil Killer Black Rails for Strat!

Just requires a little pickguard modification and they have them in white and cream too. I have one of the 15K bridge humbuckers in my Squier travel strat and it is surprisingly awesome. I actually prefer it to the old Duncan hotrails I used to have. It is marvelous for chunky metal riffing and is still surprisingly articulate. Budget-wise, that set can't be beat.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I haven't tried a GFS Lil Killer in the bridge positoin but I do have a 15K in the middle and a 10K in the neck. The 10K in the neck balances well with ~16K Crunchy Rail in the bridge; however, on the cleans it's very bassy/farty/clippy sounding, which I don't like, but that could be because I pick hard :lol:. Also, the 15K in the middle is overkill and useless anyways, I rather not have a humbucker there. Your best bet would be to get this setup: Power Rails or Crunchy Rails (which is very nice) in the bridge, a 10K-12K True-Coil single-coil pickup for the middle, and then get some humbucker for the neck. You could get the matching neck version of whatever you put in the bridge, or you could get one of their alnico humbuckers.

I'm not really sure I'll ever get along with ceramic neck pickups. :scratch:

Mordacain

Reaction score
I haven't tried a GFS Lil Killer in the bridge positoin but I do have a 15K in the middle and a 10K in the neck. The 10K in the neck balances well with ~16K Crunchy Rail in the bridge; however, on the cleans it's very bassy/farty/clippy sounding, which I don't like, but that could be because I pick hard :lol:. Also, the 15K in the middle is overkill and useless anyways, I rather not have a humbucker there. Your best bet would be to get this setup: Power Rails or Crunchy Rails (which is very nice) in the bridge, a 10K-12K True-Coil single-coil pickup for the middle, and then get some humbucker for the neck. You could get the matching neck version of whatever you put in the bridge, or you could get one of their alnico humbuckers.

I'm not really sure I'll ever get along with ceramic neck pickups. :scratch:

The Lil Killer in bridge was awesome. I had it with vintage output singles and it blended well but I also had it fairly low below the strings. I caution against the Neovins. They are an interesting concept but their output is horribly low and you have to jack them next to the strings. I would recommend a stock single (not RW/RP) for the middle and wiring the switch to autosplit the neck bridge pickups in positions 2 & 4.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
The Lil Killer in bridge was awesome. I had it with vintage output singles and it blended well but I also had it fairly low below the strings. I caution against the Neovins. They are an interesting concept but their output is horribly low and you have to jack them next to the strings. I would recommend a stock single (not RW/RP) for the middle and wiring the switch to autosplit the neck bridge pickups in positions 2 & 4.

The True-Coil is not a Neovin, it's one of their newer designs. So, hopefully no low-output like the Neovins as you say. :yesway:

gazooba

wannabe djentleman
Reaction score
Thanks for all the awesome advice everybody! :hbang:
I ordered a set of Dragonfire Screamers since they are just silly cheap, and sound nice from what I've heard on youtube and such.
I will also likely order a middle-appropriate single coil from GFS since everybody is praising them so much.
Super excited to do my first pickup swap! I'll be sure to post sound clips when everything is arrived and wired up :shred:

Digideus

Reaction score
Im a bit late to the party, but do check out the Guitarheads Actives. $44 each - EMG81 like output. Not sure about the single coils... For metal, they are a pretty decent investment. I have 2 guitars loaded with them as my stage guitars and they drive an amp or a preamp much better than a passive in my opinion.

Welcome to GuitarHeads.Net

')