Infinate Radius?

• Thread starter twiztedchild
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw this and wanted to know if other companys have used or are using the "Infinate Radius" on their guitars.
=========================================

What is an infinite radius or flat fingerboard?

Some players believe that a flat fingerboard has a large radius of 16 – 20 inches. This is a misconception. A flat fingerboard is totally flat or, if you prefer, the radius is infinite.

As a standard feature, I build all guitars with an infinite radius fingerboard because there are several advantages for the player, which I shall try to enumerate.

For the guitar maker, this is actually not an easier option, because it is more time-consuming. This technique requires more fretwork experience and skill to obtain a perfect result, which is, that everything is totally flat.

Virtually all instruments (guitars and basses) have a radius-ed fingerboard. You will hardly ever find factory-built, solid body guitars with an infinite radius, it’s just too complicated to obtain. There are a very few exceptions, such as the ‘Vigier’ Shawn Lane model. However, this is by far the minority approach, although it is by far the best.

On the matter of advantages: have you ever noticed how some guitars will ‘fret out’ when doing a bend?

The problem is that the curved radius is not a perfect design. Therefore, when you bend a string, the string is being pulled at an angle across that curved surface, which is not ideal. A small improvement on the usual radius is, of course, a compound radius fingerboard, which already removes a few such problems.

A flat fingerboard brings more to the player!

When you bend a string on an infinite radius, the action is the same, even if you bend them all the way across it.

The first advantage is no ‘fretting out’ and no ‘die out’ when bending. The second is a considerably lowered action without buzzing problems. This contributes to the ergonomy and comfort.

There is yet a further advantage when it comes to chords. They will feel much more natural to the player’s hands.

I receive lots of feedback on the subject, having myself built over 150 guitars with an infinite radius. Over the years, I have never had anything but enthusiastic, positive comments about it from the players’ own experience. I only play on flat fingerboards, so I’m well aware of these advantages myself.

Players with small hands have told me that the flat fingerboard has made things much easier for them, enabling them to improve their playing and performance.

If you think about it, most pickups are built with no radius. So, for many reasons, it makes more sense to built and play on a flat fingerboard.

www.hufschmidguitars.com/flatfingerboard.html

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Luafcm

Reaction score
I was going to say that Hufschmid builds his guitars this way... but I guess you knew that.

I like a 'flatter' radius myself. I see no real issue with infinite, just play it first. Hufschmid is the man and lots of people rave about the feel of his necks. It's personal preference though. I like a Wizard style on a 7 string, but prefer compound radius on a 6. I'm no shredder...

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I've yet to play a guitar with a flat fretboard. The closest I've come is guitars with a 16" or 20" radius fretboard. I tend to feel much more comfortable on those than I do on the more drastic ones like 10", 12" and so on, so I'm looking forward to trying a flat one some day.

SPBY

Reaction score
That's my first time seeing that site. The guitars looks like they're great to play but that distressed wood finish he apparently likes is fugly!

That distressed wood is amazing looking IMO, all of his guitars look gorgeous

BenInKY

Banned
Reaction score
That distressed wood is amazing looking IMO, all of his guitars look gorgeous

Not dissing the guy, I'm sure his guitars play great. I just think making them look like they've been left outside all snowy winter is dumb. Like an old barn!

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Not dissing the guy, I'm sure his guitars play great. I just think making them look like they've been left outside all snowy winter is dumb. Like an old barn!

Nope. I assure you, I don't want to make sweet sweet love to an old barn like I want to with his guitars.

Reaction score
What does "fret out" when bending mean? That you bend a note and it chokes on some fret further up?

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score
What does "fret out" when bending mean? That you bend a note and it chokes on some fret further up?

Yes. It happens to some degree on every guitar with a radius, no matter the action. it's just a factor of design. Now of course, low action and low radius make it much worse (on a strat sometimes you can't even half-step bend around 20 or so) but it often just manifests itself in the form of lost sustain. The fret doesn't choke enough on, say, an Ibanez to actually muffle the note, but a bent or vibrato'd note will always sustain less than a cleanly fretted sustained one. I imagine this is made a non-issue on infinite radius boards.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I tend to think there probably isn't a huge advantage going from say, an Ibanez Wizard I neck to a totally flat fretboard (I don't mean to say there is no advantage, as I said, note the use of "probably isn't" rather than none)
As it is, my action is really low on my RG guitars and I can manage 5 semi tone bends with no fretting out on my G string :lol:
That being said, I'd absolutely love to try out an infinite radius fretboard one day just to see how it feels.
If not totally flat I'd love to try something above 20 inches

Keytarist

Reaction score
How does the radius affect in the technique?. I'm wondering what's better for legato and chords, a flat radius or a curved fretboard?.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
How does the radius affect in the technique?. I'm wondering what's better for legato and chords, a flat radius or a curved fretboard?.

It's all down to the individual.
Me personally, I like anything from 14 inches upwards, because it just feels more "right" under my hands for all techniques

Reaction score
I'm shocked that this thread got as many posts as it does in one day :lol:

As for the Radius thing the "Flattest" feeling I have played that I can remember is my H-207 and I'm not sure what it is :lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 8 I had had a flat board, and honestly I wasn't crazy about it. It just didn't feel right. The Carvin Holdsworth H2 6 string I had with IIRC a 20" radius felt great. It's all a preference thing.

It's also much less work for the builder to do a flat board as the board can be flat-sanded, the frets don't need to be bent to the radius of the board on install, and the saddle heights on the bridge don't need to be matched to the radius.

rhoads18

Reaction score
I think classical guitars typically have a flat radius.

True, but classical guitars are constructed in a completely different way than a Hufschmid. Playing a classical guitar with the idea that its flat radius fingerboard will feel the same as an electric with a flat radius would be like playing a 4 string banjo with the idea that because it has 4 strings it would play the same as a bass guitar.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of flat fretboards but they're what I first learned on and am most used to. I agree that it's very much a personal preference issue.

I do believe there are small physical advantages to flat fretboards over curved ones.

For example string skipping, changing chord shapes, or any finger movement across the strings should be easier - you could make an analogy with walking over a flat surface vs. walking over a hump, where it's obvious that the flat surface would be quicker & less effort, however slightly.

Also using "classical" barring technique where you barre strings with your index finger rolled onto it's edge rather than the face-down or pad-down way is much easier on a flat fretboard and has a significant reach advantage for the rest of the fingers.

As I said I think these are quite minor considerations, but I've yet to hear a convincing reason why there is any advantage to having a curved fretboard on any plucked instrument like guitar (as opposed to bowed instruments where the need is obvious.)

speedyone

Addicted 2 Dat Shred
Reaction score
I'm waiting on a 7 string strat I'm having built with an infinite radius AND scalloping... can't wait!

I've played 20" radius fretboards, and scalloped boards, and love them both. Now I get to finally have a guitar with both attributes...

Muahahahahahaha!

:)

')