Infinity war..best ever MCU movie

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Agreed. DCEU is fucked.

This is both a completely fair and completely unfair statement. :lol:

Why Infinity War succeeds is because it's had 10 long years to build up to it. Naturally the movie itself doesn't work on it's own, but because over the 10 years since Iron Man, we've gotten to know each of these characters and how they've grown, developed and evolved through time, sequels and crossovers. You know, just like how the comics did before it... and interesting to see the film industry becoming the more and more like the comics and embracing continuity nowadays, but I digress. Hence, why Infinity War had a massive impact the way it did, despite all the thought out heroes we've learned to care about are in actual fact playing support roles to the central main character that is Thanos (genius on the Russo Bros part).

It's also because of Marvel/Disney's success that everybody (myself included if not especially) has turned to DC/Warner Bros and asked: "Well?" What are you guys doing about it? You've recently done well with Batman, what about the rest of your toys? The thing is WB have been planning a Justice League style crossover since the 80s, but due to all sorts of reasons (ie their movies sucking or sequels to good movies sucking), it's never happened. And once they finally got their stride with Man Of Steel, they tried to rush everything that Mavel have earned in a long term into the 2nd and 5th movies only to realise that it just doesn't work like that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
This is both a completely fair and completely unfair statement. :lol:

Why Infinity War succeeds is because it's had 10 long years to build up to it. Naturally the movie itself doesn't work on it's own, but because over the 10 years since Iron Man, we've gotten to know each of these characters and how they've grown, developed and evolved through time, sequels and crossovers. You know, just like how the comics did before it... and interesting to see the film industry becoming the more and more like the comics and embracing continuity nowadays, but I digress. Hence, why Infinity War had a massive impact the way it did, despite all the thought out heroes we've learned to care about are in actual fact playing support roles to the central main character that is Thanos (genius on the Russo Bros part).

It's also because of Marvel/Disney's success that everybody (myself included if not especially) has turned to DC/Warner Bros and asked: "Well?" What are you guys doing about it? You've recently done well with Batman, what about the rest of your toys? The thing is WB have been planning a Justice League style crossover since the 80s, but due to all sorts of reasons (ie their movies sucking or sequels to good movies sucking), it's never happened. And once they finally got their stride with Man Of Steel, they tried to rush everything that Mavel have earned in a long term into the 2nd and 5th movies only to realise that it just doesn't work like that.

One way to read this is that every time DC releases some clusterf*** like Suicide Squad, BVS, or Justice League, that 10 year timer gets reset cause they just bombed out on the groundwork necessary to do an equivalently impactful team-up movie in ten years.

Everyone's expecting them to do a Flashpoint next to legitimately erase everything, which is probably for the best. I just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot AGAIN by immediately trying to force another team-up movie at the same time and more right after it. Which, given current trends, they probably will. Or worse. Like, they have TWO goddam Joker movies in the works right now.

I just pray their Flashpoint thing doesn't destroy the possibility of more standalone Wonder Woman movies. The first one wasn't a perfect movie by any stretch, but the casting was perfect, and the middle third of it showed immense promise. As long as they build on that and keep the other Justice League characters out of it, they could really do something special. And I don't really want them to lose Henry Cavill, either - I want them to put him in an actual Superman movie where he gets to lighten up. He did a little bit in Justice League, and it (along with Man from UNCLE) showed how good he could be in the role if the writers don't keep screwing it up.

I think DC's big strength would be if they start doing what they're currently doing, which seems to be a lot of scattered standalone movies that DON'T seem to fit together. That's kind of what Fox has been doing with X-Men, and I really like what's happened. Some of the "canon" ones have pretty terribly failed (ex X3, Apocalypse), but it's produced some really different stuff like Deadpool and especially Logan which probably would never have happened with the house Marvel style. Variety is the spice of life? And Zach Snyder super-desaturated XTREME aesthetics are one of the worst house styles that could be used!! So, I hope they spread out more and stop trying to force more Justice League junk until they really HAVE laid some groundwork.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Nah this movie could have been released by itself with no buildup and it would still be better then every current dc movie except maybe Wonder Woman.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
One way to read this is that every time DC releases some clusterf*** like Suicide Squad, BVS, or Justice League, that 10 year timer gets reset cause they just bombed out on the groundwork necessary to do an equivalently impactful team-up movie in ten years.

It's almost like how DC comics were constantly pulling the Crisis on Infinite Earth reboots over and over again. :lol:

The problem is that it's not just in their current DCEU, they've tried and failed this for some time. That's not even including all the Superman movies that barely escaped development hell, and there's a whole lot of them.

The prospect of DCEU doing Flashpoint fascinates me. Not only because The Flash's standalone debut movie will be exactly that, but it gives them some kind of mandate to reset, reboot and or recast the entire DCEU status quo. Certainly gives an excuse for Ben Affleck to pull the Batman plug. Or even connect the more successful TV series to the canon, which will cause a massive nerdgasm for all the fans. Except it completely undermines everything they've worked on to this point. We'll care even less about them (if we ever did). It certainly undermines the Flash himself when you're carrying that much weight on your own scandal movie. And definitely a tough and complicated burden for Not-Grant Gustin's Flash, who I found rather irritating in Justice League. But I'm curious all the same as to how the hell they'll pull it off.

I do want Henry Cavill to stick around and have a decent screenplay to give him a real chance and not make Superman like a broody block of wood that's read Atlas Shrugged too many times.

Wonder Woman isn't going anywhere. The success of her movie should be enough for WB to bank and support, despite whatever the Flashpoint movie will be about. And part of it's success is that it's not interested in world building and more being it's own standalone story. This should've been WB's focus from the beginning.

Anyway back to Infinity War:

One thing that left a lasting impression is how it felt really close to Community and Arrested Development. I read a recent interview with the Russos stating that they used their experience in the latter as a major influence, and it really shows. I certainly thought the movie was better for it, especially with such a large cast like that.

Last edited:

NotDonVito

molesta la breastas
Reaction score
My 6 year old niece wanted to see it so I took her yesterday. It was fucking awesome! Especially at the end where Thor smashes Thanos crotch with Mjolnir and he says "OOOOOH RIGHT IN THE INFINITY STONES!" The whole theater laughed and then stood up and clapped.

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Super Duper Moduraturr
Reaction score
My 6 year old niece wanted to see it so I took her yesterday. It was fucking awesome! Especially at the end where Thor smashes Thanos crotch with Mjolnir and he says "OOOOOH RIGHT IN THE INFINITY STONES!" The whole theater laughed and then stood up and clapped.

Best post that will ever be made on the subject. BTW: that wasn’t Mjolnir, but rather his new hammer, Scrötebreaker.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw it on Friday. It was extremely enjoyable, but not without flaws. The action and dialogue were great, but some of the drama felt unearned. The biggest culprit is the relationship between Gamora and Thanos. To her credit, Zoe Saldana acts the hell out of her scenes with Thanos, but it just didn't feel like there was any foundation for their dialogue and actions together, mainly because we've only been told about their relationship up to this point, we've never seen it. I was also hoping for an epic snark-off between Tony Stark and Steven Strange, but Cumberbatch played Strange fairly straight in this movie. It mostly worked, but it could have been more.

One thing I will say, though, is that it was funny as hell. Nearly all the humor landed, especially in the scenes with
Thor and the Guardians of the Galaxy

vejichan

Reaction score
Yea infinity war may have flaws and issues but i have seen it twice. For a movie with so many characters etc they did well.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
only character who really didn't get a chance to shine in this movie was
Captain America, imo. he's been off doing god only knows what since Civil War, had no scenes with Tony or anything, he just kinda shows up, has a couple cool fight scenes, and that's pretty much it. I imagine he will have a lot more to do in the next movie.

also, holy shit was Vision ever a chump. He jobbed for the whole movie. It was a foregone conclusion he was going to die but it was great how they mined so much tension from it... it was a matter of when and how, not if. Pretty heartbreaking at the end too. I called pretty much zero of the disappearances correctly hahah

It was weird watching a Marvel movie where I gave a shit about the fight scenes, too. Usually they are just filler, don't matter, good guy wins, who cares... in this one they were a lot more intense.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
only character who really didn't get a chance to shine in this movie was
Captain America, imo. he's been off doing god only knows what since Civil War, had no scenes with Tony or anything, he just kinda shows up, has a couple cool fight scenes, and that's pretty much it. I imagine he will have a lot more to do in the next movie.

also, holy shit was Vision ever a chump. He jobbed for the whole movie. It was a foregone conclusion he was going to die but it was great how they mined so much tension from it... it was a matter of when and how, not if. Pretty heartbreaking at the end too. I called pretty much zero of the disappearances correctly hahah

It was weird watching a Marvel movie where I gave a shit about the fight scenes, too. Usually they are just filler, don't matter, good guy wins, who cares... in this one they were a lot more intense.

I don't think anyone did.

I mean, 3 of the immediate ones just had films come out within the past 1-1.5 years (Strange was tail end of '16), then Witch/Vision were introduced for Ultron (2015) and I think Guardians started in '14 and had Vol. 2 in 2016. And it was what, 90% of the Guardians team - everyone but Rocket is gone for them: he's literally the Captain now.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
By the way...

Anybody catch this guy?

rs_560x415-150602170452-1024.tobias-arrested-development.jw.6215.jpg

:lol:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I will say that it was a ballsy and unexpected move to have nearly all the newer heroes of the MCU be the ones who got sucked into the void, leaving the old guard. Now, because Hollywood, we already know that they'll be back (especially given that Spiderman has a sequel to Homecoming already in the pipeline to be released after Infinity War 2). Still though, I absolutely expected it to be a bunch of the old heros like Iron Man and Cap Rogers, especially after Loki bought the space farm so early in the movie. But no, pretty much the only new high-profile character who survived (restricted to those who appeared in the movie at all, of course) was Rocket. Meanwhile, the only ones on Titan who survived were Tony Stark and Nebula. Didn't see the latter coming at all. Heck, when Peter was telling Tony "I feel sick," I honestly thought it was a fake out at first, because the movie waited so long on him. But nope, he got vanished too.

I think most everyone who got raptured is gonna come back. However, there is the open question of whether or not Loki and Gamora will get brought back, or if they're gone for good, given how they died.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
I fuckin' LOVE Thanos!! Thanos is by far the best MoCap I’ve ever seen since Gollum in the LOTR trilogy. Plus Brolin is perfect for the role. He brought so much depth to the character that I'm on Thanos' side now!!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I will say that it was a ballsy and unexpected move to have nearly all the newer heroes of the MCU be the ones who got sucked into the void, leaving the old guard. Now, because Hollywood, we already know that they'll be back (especially given that Spiderman has a sequel to Homecoming already in the pipeline to be released after Infinity War 2). Still though, I absolutely expected it to be a bunch of the old heros like Iron Man and Cap Rogers, especially after Loki bought the space farm so early in the movie. But no, pretty much the only new high-profile character who survived (restricted to those who appeared in the movie at all, of course) was Rocket. Meanwhile, the only ones on Titan who survived were Tony Stark and Nebula. Didn't see the latter coming at all. Heck, when Peter was telling Tony "I feel sick," I honestly thought it was a fake out at first, because the movie waited so long on him. But nope, he got vanished too.

I think most everyone who got raptured is gonna come back. However, there is the open question of whether or not Loki and Gamora will get brought back, or if they're gone for good, given how they died.

To be fair

Ant-man and Wasp is taking place before I.W. yet post Civil War, and Capt. Marvel is going to be back in the 90's, and we don't know how much time was between Homecoming and I.W. - so nothing is set in stone saying that the movie will be post-I.W., and thus Peter very well could be dead.

It'd be a bold as shit move, but it'd be Marvel's way of committing to nothing being safe and like it was before