Info for UK peeps thinking of buying one of the Agile 8-strings

• Thread starter Svartmetall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Svartmetall

Reaction score
- or, in fact, any other guitars from abroad. I'd been wondering about how much I'd be likely to get stung for Customs duty etc. if I went for one of the Agile 8s, so I rang the Customs & Excise people (very nice + helpful, actually) and found out the following info:

The customs code for electric guitars is 9207901000; more specifically, customs duty is charged at 3.7% on instrument price including shipping, then VAT @ 17.5% is added.

-----

So, going by current exchange rates and allowing $80 for shipping, for an Agile Pro 8 we get:
$650 + (roughly) $80 for shipping = $730
$730 + 3% = $752
$752 + 17.5% = $912
$912 = £461
...so that works out at £461 all-in for a custom 8-string; a steal, when you think about it.

-----

Hope this info is useful to people.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info man :yesway: been pondering muchly about this, that is absolutely fuckin disgustingly cheap, even with the customs bollocks

hmmm_de_hum

Reaction score
Thats sounds awesome, may have to order one as a leaving present to myself before i head off to university. Thanks a lot for finding that info out :yesway:

jibster

Reaction score
Knew it was something like that but wasn't 100% sure on the order they charged it and the customs rate so thanks a lot.

Also I don't know what the percentage they charge but when I imported my Ibanez I got charged an extra £10 by Parcelforce for handling through customs, not massive but thought people might like to know.

forelander

you fail me
Reaction score
For Australians, it'd be around 80-100 for shipping, and since everything would be under 1000 AUD there'd be no custom fees, so it'd be a straight conversion from American to Aus dollars, which are fairly close.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
Just beware that parcelforce will slap you with a BS ~£50 holding fee if you do have to pay customs for your packages release. It's what I call ransom money.

')