Info on the schecter c-7 hellraiser

• Thread starter Sporkjerk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sporkjerk

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am new to this site and this forum and I have an important question of opinion for you guys. I currently own an esp ltd sc-607b and I am not sure I it is for me. I like the looks of it but how it plays and sounds is of course much more important. The scale is a bit too large and I am not particularly pleased with the sound of the all maple body, I also have some issues with the overall craftsmenship of it i.e: the frets and nut. I have been eyeing the schecter c-7 hellraiser for a little bit now and I think it is a great looking guitar but I have no way to try one out. Do any of you own this guitar and what is your opinion of it, I want to know every thing like how the 707's sound in the mahogany body (clear enough tone?) and how smooth the frets are ( i like to bend and shred) . I basically want the warmth the mahogony body would provide but yet still articulate and for it to have good playibility. Your thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
The ESP and Schecter models you mention may well be made in the same factory.
Both companies contract the same factories to make their guitars, exactly which models are made by which ones I don't know.
Regardless, any guitar you buy will benefit from a proper fret dress (level, crown and polish) by a competant tech. Same with the nut, have a GraphTech nut installed.
That won't solve the scale issue though. I'm just saying don't expect the C-7 to necessarily be any better in those regards.
The maple 607 will have a tighter sound than a mahogany bodied guitar, the 81-7's it should have will accentuate that tightness even more (apparently some were shipped with 707's). Expect a mahogany body to have less high end cut and fuller lows/low mids.
707's have a ton of bass and treble, personally I don't like them for a bridge pickup, I prefer the 81-7 because of it's tight lows and peaky mids.
Keep in mind EMG's tend to be the dominate the guitar more than passives. By that I mean woods and construction don't make as much of a difference.
Are you sure you're an EMG person?

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, if you don't like the extended scale of the 607b than you'll probably dislike the Schecter as well as it's only a half inch shorter in scale. I love my Schecter BlackJack C-7. I can't compare the sound as I've never heard the 607, I've only heard the Hellraiser and it sounds awesome. Anyhow, again, if scale is a big issue then get a 25.5" scale Ibanez. By the way... I never bought the 607b although I was considering it at one point. I figured the all Maple body wouldn't sound too warm so I passed on it.

Rev.

Sporkjerk

Reaction score
Yeah dpm you are right about how they use the same factory and the fret dressing (I could do that). And also yes, maple does have a brighter sound, but at that scale (on the low note) it seems a little brittle sounding whereas I want more of a full sound with a tight edge over the top of it. It's kinda hard to explain really I just know it isn't too satisfing. Am I an emg guy? Yes and no...I like emgs and seymour duncans but I wouldn't know what is perfect for me in a seven string unless I had a variety of pickups in the same guitar to try out...so now I am mainly interested in trying out the emgs. Thanks for the help though. As far as the half inch difference between the guitars is concerned Rev, I think that yes that little bit will help.....I like the notion of an extended scale seven (good for note definition). it's just that for how i play 27" is a bit much as far as string tension goes so I would like to try one a little bit shorter. thanks guys

Sporkjerk

Reaction score
hey again...ya'know after fiddling with my eq and compression i was able to dial in a tone much more close to what i was hearing in my head.....so looks like i'll be keeping the 607b for a bit longer after all....all i need to do is get a fret dress and slap some lighter gauge strings on there (i was using a pack of 11's!!!)....plus it just looks to damn nice to get rid of!

BAUOOOW
Reaction score
http://www.guitar-dominion.com/006roughversion.mp3

Done a loooooong time ago with my Engl half-stack and Drumkit From Hell 2. Guitar was of course my Hellraiser C7. I have a few other recordings with it too, just gotta find them, heh. I bought my C7 without ever playing one or seeing one in person. I had actually ordered it from DrumCityGuitarLand about two weeks after Schecter shipped the first run out. I was extremely impressed with everything about the guitar when I opened the case up and saw it. Gorgeous, and top-notch craftsmanship. Couldn't be happier. The thing that attracted me to it was just the picture of it online. I saw it and said "there it is." :) But if your current one is working out, no use in spending more money, kind of a waste. Plus those SC's are really nice lookign guitars.

Just to clarify, Schecter is owned by ESP. I didn't find this out until a few months ago, and I own an ESP, two LTDs, and now a Schecter, and they are all amazing guitars. Compared to my other ones (PRSs, Gibsons, Jacksons), I actually play these much more often. Very comfy guitars for me. As far as the craftsmanship on your 607 being under par, I couldn't tell you why. But I do know that out of the 4 guitars that I have from the 3 names, the quality is right up there with my USA guitars. Good luck with your Carpenter. Latah.

~006+1

Latest posts

')