Insane Piano skills by Shawn Lane...

• Thread starter vontetzianos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
Ok so I believe the world needs more Shawn Lane, so here's some more Lane appreesh, this time for his piano ability. Check it:

:eek:

I knew Lane played the piano but I had no idea he was so skilled. How amazing that he was a truly virtuosic guitarist, but was supremely competent at piano and keys as well. I suppose for him playing the one helped him at the other.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
Tony Mcalpine is also of this breed. The dude can shred a piano as well as guitar.

cycloptopus

Reaction score
What!?!?:ugh:

Sick as hell!!!

Love that first one with all the warble spots and everything, makes it even creepier than those wicked lines already are...

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
ever heard of a guy called Steve Vai? ;)

he also has mad piano skills in addition to being a guitar virtuoso.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Eric Johnson is a pretty respectable pianist, too. I don't think it should be that surprising that people as good at guitar as they are can also play the piano well. There's a lot of overlap in the skillset required, I'd say. It's just like the video of Jordan Rudess playing guitar. Not to mention that all these people had the combination of natural ability and discipline that it took to get to the level they're at with their main instrument, so it stands to reason that they should be able to play other instruments well

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
ever heard of a guy called Steve Vai? ;)

he also has mad piano skills in addition to being a guitar virtuoso.

Steve is pretty damn good (he just knows music inside out, the same way Shawn did) but he had session players to play the really crazy stuff, like one of the sections of "Fire garden suite", where the piano just goes apeshit because the clean guitars.

Steve isn't as good as Shawn was (smoother perhaps), but he is certainly better at composing massive pieces with loads of instruments, his sounds theories dvd demonstrates that. However, Shawn was much better at Jazz and indian music, so it balances out.

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
Very nice. Eric Johnson is another dude that can shred the piano. :agreed:

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Steve is pretty damn good (he just knows music inside out, the same way Shawn did) but he had session players to play the really crazy stuff, like one of the sections of "Fire garden suite", where the piano just goes apeshit because the clean guitars.
Kind of ironic, given that he started his career as the player of Zappa's "impossible guitar parts".

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen the Shawn Lane clip before (ofc) but not the EJ one - both of them are amongst the most staggeringly beautiful musicians of our time and hell, I can't even be jealous of them :D

vontetzianos

Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen the Shawn Lane clip before (ofc) but not the EJ one - both of them are amongst the most staggeringly beautiful musicians of our time and hell, I can't even be jealous of them :D

I'm even more jealous that he was able to do all of it by the time he was 16.:wallbash:

Bumskull

Reaction score
I'm in India right now, and to be honest I had never heard of Shawn Lane expect in GW's fastest players list. But DAMN he's so well respected here it's just incredible! All the masters of carnatic musician say he was, no is the best non Indian to ever play the style, and after hearing some of his work I wholeheartedly agree with them. I think that all fans of Shawn Lane will feel at home in India. The man is a legend here, right up there with Iron Maiden and AR Rahman.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I'm in India right now, and to be honest I had never heard of Shawn Lane expect in GW's fastest players list. But DAMN he's so well respected here it's just incredible! All the masters of carnatic musician say he was, no is the best non Indian to ever play the style, and after hearing some of his work I wholeheartedly agree with them. I think that all fans of Shawn Lane will feel at home in India. The man is a legend here, right up there with Iron Maiden and AR Rahman.

Keep in mind that Hellborg did the majority of compositional work, Lane was more of a soloist over the top of Hellborg's work, but he was damn good at it.

Lane once commented that when he and Hellborg toured India they were treated like rock stars, which did not happen anywhere else in the world.

Bumskull

Reaction score
Keep in mind that Hellborg did the majority of compositional work, Lane was more of a soloist over the top of Hellborg's work, but he was damn good at it.

Lane once commented that when he and Hellborg toured India they were treated like rock stars, which did not happen anywhere else in the world.

This is quite true. My uncle even has a bootleg collection of Lane's concerts. trust me when Indians get attached to something they rarely every let go. He did a few improvisational jams that me uncle says were also really inspiring. A lot of people know more about the jams than Hellborg.

')