Installing pickups with no screw thread

• Thread starter Intellex222
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Intellex222

Reaction score
I wanted to install the sd pickups that were in my old guitar into my new one. Those pickups were previously direct mounted and the screw threads were enlarged with a drill. My new guitar however has all the electronics mounted to the pickguard. The screws don't fit at all and i have no idea how to fix it. I can't use larger screws cuz they would have to be massive and the guitar would look terrible. Pls help me haha i really wanna re-use those pickups

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
If you glue a nut onto the pickup tab that fits the screw, you'll be able to screw them in. The downside is that, if you ever unscrew them, you'll have to glue the nut on again if it breaks free (which it probably will). But, as long as the screw is in place, the nut won't go anywhere.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Could you solder/glue a nut to the back of the pickup under the hole?

edit: [great minds think alike. Alternatively, JB Weld can be tapped for threads if you happened to have a tap for the "right" screw size...]

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Either fill the hole with solder and drill that, or do it the ultra ghetto way of taking a high e string (or other thin wire ) and weaving it around the tab. The wire will fill the hole and will bite into the screw, so it stays relatively snug.

I've done both, and both are ugly as fuck but more than do the job. The solder/drill method is much more finicky though.

You could try and find the right sized nut for the screws you have, but that probably requires ordering them from a specialty fastener place. It's more of a hassle tbh.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Get some ultra-cheap used stock pickups for like 10$ and swap the baseplates (Or just buy new baseplates).

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I use brass nuts and some patience with a soldering iron. I have a baggie of brass nuts for the occasion, but I can't remember the exact measurements.

quad7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There are u-shaped clips that will add a "thread" externally and won't need glue. Check the hardware part drawer section of your local hardware store.
51FFUDFZJuL._AC_SY355_PIbundle-30,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you glue a nut onto the pickup tab that fits the screw, you'll be able to screw them in. The downside is that, if you ever unscrew them, you'll have to glue the nut on again if it breaks free (which it probably will). But, as long as the screw is in place, the nut won't go anywhere.

Do this with some red Locktite and it's not going anywhere.

Intellex222

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the answers. I'll try the to solder a nut to the pickup soon. I finally want the guitar to be finished haha

')