Instrumental guitar album recommendations

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
I'm going to enter a writing phase soon and I want to expand my horizons a bit by listening to instrumental guitar albums that I don't already know. I'll also try listening to styles of music out of my comfort zone, but that's another topic altogether.

I mostly listen to instrumental music these days. In my early days of playing I listened a lot to Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Metheny, Di Meola. Now it's mostly Paul Wardingham, Per Nilsson, Syndrone, Plini and more recently Nick Johnston, Jason Richardson, McRocklin, Widek, Alluvial, Pietronik. I also have explored a bit of Loomis, Andy James and Angel Vivaldi.

One guy I may need to explore is Marco Sfogli. If so, which album is your favorite ? Thanks in advance for all your suggestions :)

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Strobe

Reaction score
I really like Ignazio Di Salvo. He has the best vibrato. It's an emotional experience to listen to him. Here is an example of him being awesome.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It sounds to me like moving away from "shred" style music would be more a step in the right direction.
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!

You've hit a lot of my favorites.
  • For Marco, "There's Hope" is awesome.
  • Andy Timmons is amazing, too - "Revolution" is my favorite of his. If you like Nick Johnston, both of those would be worth a listen
  • ...and I'd add to that Bret Garsed's "Big Sky," which is a pretty amazing disc, too, full of technical but bluesier and more melodic playing.
  • I like some of Gilbert's more recent playing - his Racer X and Mr. Big stuff is great (and "Technical Difficulties" is such a badass tune), but I thought "Silence Followed By a Deafening Roar" was awesome, but some of his vocal stuff is fun, too - "Everybody Use Your Goddamn Turn Signal" is one of the coolest tunes I've heard this fall.
  • And, in a totally different direction, Buckethead's "Colma" is an awesome album - sort of acoustic ambient hip hop, maybe. Gorgeous album with some occasional crazy chops sections that'll influence you in very different ways.
  • Finally, it's not really instrumental "shred," but Gordian Knot's "Emergent" is a stellar disc - Sean Malone's project post-Cynic project, with Jim Matheos on guitar. It's instrumental prog... but it's very groove-oriented, more in the Tool sense than the sense it gets tossed around in djent. Really beautiful, at times heavy, at times haunting. Desert island list album for me. I actually haven't thought about that disc in ages, I should toss it on this afternoon.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score

The easiest way to describe the champs is like classical + nwobhm with linear song structure

If you want heavier instrumentals

Blotted Science
Electro Quarterstaff
Dark Matter Secret (instrumental cynic/necro worship)

Scale the Summit was cool before Letchford became a huge dickhead

Beyond Creation has some killer instrumental tracks

mastapimp

Reaction score
Michael Hedges - Breakfast in the Field, Aerial Boundaries, Oracle

Kevin Hufnagel - Messages to the Past

Marty Friedman - Inferno, Wall of Sound, Loudspeaker

Chimp Spanner - Imperium Vorago, At Dream's End

Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within

Andy Timmons Band - Sgt. Pepper

Gary Hoey - Animal Instinct, Bug Alley, Hocus Pocus Live

The Aristocrats - All their albums

Jerry Reed - various tracks

Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom, Tones, Venus Isle

Tony MacAlpine - Concrete Gardens

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys !! I have a lot of listening to do:)

Verlorener, cloudkicker, guthrie govan, does mattias ia eklund do instrumental?

It sounds to me like moving away from "shred" style music would be more a step in the right direction.

Also dig up some blues.

Oh, I forgot about Govan, he's definitely on my playlist. But yeah, one of my goals is to complement shred with other styles.

For blues, I mostly listen to SRV albums but I'm open to suggestions :)

I also listen to a bit of jazz/fusion, mostly Metheny, McLaughlin, a bit of Scofield and Holdsworth.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys !! I have a lot of listening to do:)

Oh, I forgot about Govan, he's definitely on my playlist. But yeah, one of my goals is to complement shred with other styles.

For blues, I mostly listen to SRV albums but I'm open to suggestions :)

I also listen to a bit of jazz/fusion, mostly Metheny, McLaughlin, a bit of Scofield and Holdsworth.

Good stuff!

I dont even know where to start with blues. Muddy waters, robert cray, bb king are some big names but theres so many.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ton of recommendations, super diverse.

Only thing I'd add I guess is "The Shape of Colours" by Intervals. Lots of bouncy riffs in there which is just straight up good guitar/riff based songwriting (not note salad, all hum-able) and the lead areas are clearly defined so its not unreasonable to be able to pickup a track and learn it start to finish.

Oh, I guess David Maxim Micic too? Bilo 1 and 2 are good, some tasty lead playing on both though theyre both more elaborate song writing based than they are shreddy guitar, but there's some of that in there too. I haven't listened to anything after those so no clue.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
That new Ryan Knight album was cool, different from what you would expect after Arsis and TBDM. I don't listen to alot of instrumental albums, but i did enjoy the Josh Middleton Project -Hollowed- Out Planitoid.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Check out the G5 Project and G.O.D Guitarists on Demand albums. Basically 2 groups of various guitarists of diverse styles lead by Masahiro Aoki (Godspeed0080). There's quite a few of them from each camp.

Come to think of it Godspeed himself also has a solo album released this year. Need to grab that myself.