Instrumental guitar album recommendations

iamaom

Reaction score
Metal/Rock:
Christian Müenzner
Joe Satriani
Intervals
Periphery (they've released instrumental versions)
Pomegranate Tiger
Eric Johnson

Fusion/Misc:
Ployphia
Chon (mostly)
Les Paul
MonoNeon (mainly bass player, but rips on guitar too)
Gordian Knot (members from cynic)
Dick Dale (the surfer one)

Jazz:
Robert Conti
Alan Holdsworth

Classical/Baroque:
Jon Dowland (lute player but most of his music adapted to guitar)
George Handel

I don't even know what it is:
Behold... The Arctopus

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Keep em coming guys :)

@Randy Oh damn, I forgot David Maxim Micic. I started listening to Bilo III last summer. Incredible compositions !!

This reminds me that Jakub Zitecky is a guitarist I need to explore more. I really like his playing on Wishful Lotus Proof, but not the vocals (a bit cheesy for my tastes).

I also forgot to mention Animals as Leaders (I only know one album).

@iamaom I didn't know Periphery released instrumental versions, I'll definitely check that out since the vocals are not my cup of tea.

@budda Thanks for the blues suggestions !

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gunnar

Reaction score
Everything here is pretty metal oriented or at least guitar virtuoso Ibanez playerish music, which I love. But I have recently been into mathrock and there are a lot of interesting bands in the genre. Check out the guitar player Marcos Mena and his band Standards. I recommend this song.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
I have a lot of reading to do for work and decided to listen to your suggestions in the background.

I listened to Ignazio Di Salvo yesterday and I must say I agree, his playing is super passionnate. Reminds me of Claudio Pietronik, yet different in a great way.

I also listened to Mika Tyyskä (Night Overdrive) and my god do I like his playing. Thanks a lot for this suggestion.

Christian Muezner was also a great suggestions. I knew of him, but had yet to listen to him. I just got his album on which Per Nilsson did the studio work (forgot the name).

I've also decided to go deep into Holdsworth. I went with Metal Fatigue, was it a good move ?

Listened to Brad Praisley, definitely out of my comfort zone but he's definitely a talented musician :)

Thanks for suggesting Standards, also out of my musical habits but very good. Kynwyn's Birthday is beautiful.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Polyphia is by far my favorite when it comes to instrumental guitar. The latest album is awesome

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'll jump in on the blues list, too:

• Jimi: Blues. Most of the Alan Douglas compilations are crap, and even this one had some heavy handed editing (the Electric Church Red House in particular was the free time "Electric Church" intro, spliced into the performance of a second version), but everything you need to know about blues lead guitar can be gleaned from the first two choruses of his excellent instrumental cover of Born Under a Bad Sign. And the two versions of Hear My Train A'Comin that bookend this - a fingerstyle acoustic at the open, and a staggeringly good live electric tour de force - are unbelievable.
  • For more contemporary/technical stuff, Joe Bonamassa. He's a little derivative (reminds me a lot of Eric Johnson in places), but he has a couple legitimately great albums - The Ballad of John Henry, Sloe Gin, and Dust Bowl, I thought, were excellent from a pure "good music to listen to" standpoint.
  • Not a popular recommendation... but see if you can track down a Chess Records compilation called "Muddy and the Wolf." It's a mix of Muddy Waters with the Butterfield Blues Band, and some highlights from the Howlin' Wolf London Sessions. The Muddy side is crap, save for the ending "Long Distance Call," which is spectacular, but while it's not popular with blues purists, I love the Wolf side - the London Sessions were the Rolling Stones rhythm section with Eric Clapton on lead. Seriously cool stuff - the version of The Red Rooster on this (and especially after the outtake where he's teaching the band how to play it on an acoustic, where then then go and proceed to do a version that sounds nothing like what he showed them, lol) is better than the one he did on his own, I think.
  • Likewise, a good Howlin' Wolf compilation Wolf's one of my favorite vocalists. Recommended tracks - Smokestack Lightning, Back Door Man, I Asked for Water, Spoonful.
  • Elmore James is mostly known for "Dust My Broom," and a lot of related slide stuff record producers kept asking him to do. Which is a pity, because his fretted stuff is unreal. Look for "Twelve Year Old Boy."

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want some out there blues guitar that will make you woodshed, check out Sonny Landreth.

Start with "South of I-10" and "Levee Town".

pfizer

Reaction score
I still recommend John Petrucci's "Suspended Animation" solo album to this day; super memorable, catchy stuff.

Paul Gilbert's "Silence With A Deafening Roar" and "Fuzz Universe" albums are also great listens.

For more progressive stuff, try Scale The Summit's "The Migration" and my personal favorite, Intervals' "The Shape Of Colour".

Latest posts