Instrumental guitar album recommendations

BIGRIGG

Reaction score
Check out Alejandro Silva! Several instrumental metal albums. Mostly early to mid 2000's. Very good and sadly unknown. Also has some live concert dvd action.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tatu Aleksi

Reaction score
Sorry for double post, but I wanted to make sure Tatu got the reply.

Tatu Aleksi, this EP is great! Very good quality, well written compositions, excellent playing and production. I hope more people check out your music. Looking forward to more. Thanks for the inspiration and good luck. New fan.

Oh, thanks a lot, man! Sorry I'm so late responding to this, I find myself a bit on/off forum guy, I should definitely check these out more regularly :)

By the way, Isurez also mentioned Brett Garsed in a previous comment, and I have to say that guy is absolutely great guitar player. I listened to some of his music like five years ago and have forgot him ever since, kind of nostalgic to listen to some of his tunes!

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Well since everything has already been suggested then let's go deep deep underground:

I never listen to this guy's solo stuff but he was the gutiarist on Arcturus album Aspera Hiems Symfonia, which probably has like the best guitar solos of any black metal album

OK, I know what I'm listening to on the way home today :kd:

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Has this been posted? If so too bad here it is again

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Night Verses - from the gallery of sleep

Not really guitar solo shred album, but i think one of the better instrumental releases lately...

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Stephen Taranto was mentioned, but he can really do jaw dropping things with a guitar :agreed: This is like Plini on stereoids.

The licks he posts regularly on IG are really inspiring. I bought his EP when it came out but it took me a couple listens to really get into it, since it’s pretty dense (for my ears anyhow). Now I absolutely love it.

If you guys want to open new areas in your playing, he sells tabs of his IG licks (in bundles) on his website. I feel like practicing them is beginning to up my game.

Best “new” solo guitarist of 2019 thus far IMHO (although he was in Helix Nebula before).

Here’s another track he did with Jake Howsam (Plini) in 2018. Less proggy than his EP but very nice riffs nonetheless.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Paul Gilbert... ...but some of his vocal stuff is fun, too
I just noticed this and had to comment. Though it's not instrumental, "The Burning Organ" is honestly one of my favorite albums. That shit is downright infectious.

Mothafuckaaaaaaaaaas.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just noticed this and had to comment. Though it's not instrumental, "The Burning Organ" is honestly one of my favorite albums. That shit is downright infectious.

Mothafuckaaaaaaaaaas.
"Everybody Use Your Goddamn Turn Signal" is the coolest song I've discovered in the past year. Easy.

Reaction score
I'm going to enter a writing phase soon and I want to expand my horizons a bit by listening to instrumental guitar albums that I don't already know. I'll also try listening to styles of music out of my comfort zone, but that's another topic altogether.

I mostly listen to instrumental music these days. In my early days of playing I listened a lot to Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Metheny, Di Meola. Now it's mostly Paul Wardingham, Per Nilsson, Syndrone, Plini and more recently Nick Johnston, Jason Richardson, McRocklin, Widek, Alluvial, Pietronik. I also have explored a bit of Loomis, Andy James and Angel Vivaldi.

One guy I may need to explore is Marco Sfogli. If so, which album is your favorite ? Thanks in advance for all your suggestions :)

Did someone say CHON yet? Because if they haven't then will gladly say, CHON. Their first album 'Newborn Sun" is a personal favorite of mine. So full of melody. So full of energy.

Reaction score
My favorite instrumental band is Save Us From the Archon

It is very guitar oriented, but it does NOT sound like any of the music you listed in your OP lol

I fell in love right after I pressed play. Also, I love the unusual-ness of the title lol